Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to use external PS2 mouse with XP Home?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 26, 2004 7:19:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

When I connect external mouse, either before or after boot, it only
recognizes the touch pad. How do I use the external mouse?

Thanks, gang!!

Fred
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 7:24:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Fred wrote:
>
> When I connect external mouse, either before or after boot, it only
> recognizes the touch pad. How do I use the external mouse?

Desktop? Laptop? Brand? Model?

C'mon, Fed!

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 7:25:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Notan wrote:
>
> Fred wrote:
> >
> > When I connect external mouse, either before or after boot, it only
> > recognizes the touch pad. How do I use the external mouse?
>
> Desktop? Laptop? Brand? Model?
>
> C'mon, Fed!
>
> Notan

Uhh, that was "C'mon, Fred!" <g>

Notan
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 7:30:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Fred wrote:

> When I connect external mouse, either before or after boot, it only
> recognizes the touch pad. How do I use the external mouse?
>
> Thanks, gang!!
>
> Fred
>
>
First of all I'm asumming your using a laptop as I've never seen a
desktop PC with a touchpad yet.

Check the settings in the Control Panel for your touchpad. On my Dell
Latitude, I have an option to switch off the Touchpad when I plug in an
external PS/2 mouse.

Do you have the latest version of the touchpad driver installed?

If its made by Alps, they only supply drivers to the OEM's, if it's a
Synaptics touchpad you could try www.synaptics.com or this link
ftp://ftp.synaptics.com/pub/drivers/US7_8_10W2K.zip.


--
JasonB

To reply, replace nospam4me with blueyonder
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 8:16:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

yeh, come on Fred!
Fred
"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
news:412E00AE.49387329@ddress.com...
> Fred wrote:
>>
>> When I connect external mouse, either before or after boot, it only
>> recognizes the touch pad. How do I use the external mouse?
>
> Desktop? Laptop? Brand? Model?
>
> C'mon, Fed!
>
> Notan
August 26, 2004 8:21:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks, Jason. Appreciate the info.

The control panel, everything looks right, but turns out that I plugged the
mouse into the S-Video port. (Last resort - read the manual.) I still
think that like monitor graphic looks like a mouse.) Turns out this laptop
only has USB ports so it's off to the store to spend more money buying more
stuff. I miss Win98SE already.

The only use I have ever found for touchpads is they're great for putting
out your cigars.

"JasonB" <jasonb@nospam4me.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3mnXc.20508$a66.17656@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Fred wrote:
>
> > When I connect external mouse, either before or after boot, it only
> > recognizes the touch pad. How do I use the external mouse?
> >
> > Thanks, gang!!
> >
> > Fred
> >
> >
> First of all I'm asumming your using a laptop as I've never seen a
> desktop PC with a touchpad yet.
>
> Check the settings in the Control Panel for your touchpad. On my Dell
> Latitude, I have an option to switch off the Touchpad when I plug in an
> external PS/2 mouse.
>
> Do you have the latest version of the touchpad driver installed?
>
> If its made by Alps, they only supply drivers to the OEM's, if it's a
> Synaptics touchpad you could try www.synaptics.com or this link
> ftp://ftp.synaptics.com/pub/drivers/US7_8_10W2K.zip.
>
>
> --
> JasonB
>
> To reply, replace nospam4me with blueyonder
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 8:21:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
news:66oXc.5137$HY.4584@trnddc03...
| Thanks, Jason. Appreciate the info.
|
| The control panel, everything looks right, but turns out that I plugged
the
| mouse into the S-Video port. (Last resort - read the manual.) I still
| think that like monitor graphic looks like a mouse.) Turns out this
laptop
| only has USB ports so it's off to the store to spend more money buying
more
| stuff. I miss Win98SE already.
|
| The only use I have ever found for touchpads is they're great for putting
| out your cigars.
|

If you don't want to purchase a USB mouse, you can purchase (cheaply) a
USB/PS2 adapter. Most come with Twp PS/2 ports ... one for keyboard, one for
mouse.
August 26, 2004 8:22:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> Desktop? Laptop? Brand? Model?

No. Yes. Chinese. 1.
August 26, 2004 8:35:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Woo hooo!!! I'm reddy! Let's go!! Come on!!!.... er...uh.... where wuz it
we wuz a going, Kingfish?


"Fred Smith" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:91oXc.11591$Nn2.817@trndny05...
> yeh, come on Fred!
> Fred
> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> news:412E00AE.49387329@ddress.com...
> > Fred wrote:
> >>
> >> When I connect external mouse, either before or after boot, it only
> >> recognizes the touch pad. How do I use the external mouse?
> >
> > Desktop? Laptop? Brand? Model?
> >
> > C'mon, Fed!
> >
> > Notan
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 11:53:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

The only problem with this suggestion is that the hardware must be able
to handle this. Many PS/2 mice are unable to work with USB to PS/2
Convertor. It may work, it may not. I would recommend looking that the
wireless mice that are specifically designed for laptops. You can
usually get these fairly cheap and most of them are USB.

----
Nathan McNulty


Jason Cothran wrote:
> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> news:66oXc.5137$HY.4584@trnddc03...
> | Thanks, Jason. Appreciate the info.
> |
> | The control panel, everything looks right, but turns out that I plugged
> the
> | mouse into the S-Video port. (Last resort - read the manual.) I still
> | think that like monitor graphic looks like a mouse.) Turns out this
> laptop
> | only has USB ports so it's off to the store to spend more money buying
> more
> | stuff. I miss Win98SE already.
> |
> | The only use I have ever found for touchpads is they're great for putting
> | out your cigars.
> |
>
> If you don't want to purchase a USB mouse, you can purchase (cheaply) a
> USB/PS2 adapter. Most come with Twp PS/2 ports ... one for keyboard, one for
> mouse.
>
>
August 27, 2004 1:46:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Do desktops have touchpads?
"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
news:412E00DF.78B054D6@ddress.com...
> Notan wrote:
> >
> > Fred wrote:
> > >
> > > When I connect external mouse, either before or after boot, it only
> > > recognizes the touch pad. How do I use the external mouse?
> >
> > Desktop? Laptop? Brand? Model?
> >
> > C'mon, Fed!
> >
> > Notan
>
> Uhh, that was "C'mon, Fred!" <g>
>
> Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 1:59:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Unknown wrote:
>
> Do desktops have touchpads?

No, not per se. (Although I have seen external touchpads.)

The point I was making was that Fred gave no details as
to what type of system he was talking about.

It's like calling an auto repair shop and saying, "My car
won't start. What's wrong?"

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 1:59:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Just as a side note, most external touchpads are not actually designed
for controlling the mouse but more as an input device. Many people use
these as digitizers that allow the user to draw on the computer. These
are generally very expensive and difficult to work with due to the
inaccuracy of the products. I have only seen this in one lab, but
unfortunately I did not get a chance to play with it :) 

----
Nathan McNulty


Notan wrote:
> Unknown wrote:
>
>>Do desktops have touchpads?
>
>
> No, not per se. (Although I have seen external touchpads.)
>
> The point I was making was that Fred gave no details as
> to what type of system he was talking about.
>
> It's like calling an auto repair shop and saying, "My car
> won't start. What's wrong?"
>
> Notan
August 27, 2004 7:35:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Well, well... Helpful Nolan again? You have now publicly demonstrated to
the world that you are not a techie. That's OK -- we all had to start out
somewhere.

FYI, all my problems have now been solved and (amazingly) without having to
answer any of your nonsensical questions!!

"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
news:412E5D55.47BE74B8@ddress.com...
> Unknown wrote:
> >
> > Do desktops have touchpads?
>
> No, not per se. (Although I have seen external touchpads.)
>
> The point I was making was that Fred gave no details as
> to what type of system he was talking about.
>
> It's like calling an auto repair shop and saying, "My car
> won't start. What's wrong?"
>
> Notan
August 27, 2004 7:38:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Bingo! This worked for me. The keyboard/mouse were at fault in my case. I
picked up a nice mini-mouse with retracting cable for $19.95 and an el
cheapo but satisfactory Memorex brand USB keyboard for $20. Frys
Electronics service spent 1/2 hour with me checking out the computer and
explaining things and never once mentioned cost. Highly recommend that
store.

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
news:e3Z$BE%23iEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> The only problem with this suggestion is that the hardware must be able
> to handle this. Many PS/2 mice are unable to work with USB to PS/2
> Convertor. It may work, it may not. I would recommend looking that the
> wireless mice that are specifically designed for laptops. You can
> usually get these fairly cheap and most of them are USB.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>
>
> Jason Cothran wrote:
> > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > news:66oXc.5137$HY.4584@trnddc03...
> > | Thanks, Jason. Appreciate the info.
> > |
> > | The control panel, everything looks right, but turns out that I
plugged
> > the
> > | mouse into the S-Video port. (Last resort - read the manual.) I
still
> > | think that like monitor graphic looks like a mouse.) Turns out this
> > laptop
> > | only has USB ports so it's off to the store to spend more money buying
> > more
> > | stuff. I miss Win98SE already.
> > |
> > | The only use I have ever found for touchpads is they're great for
putting
> > | out your cigars.
> > |
> >
> > If you don't want to purchase a USB mouse, you can purchase (cheaply) a
> > USB/PS2 adapter. Most come with Twp PS/2 ports ... one for keyboard, one
for
> > mouse.
> >
> >
August 27, 2004 7:38:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks, Jason. In fact I did get a couple of PS2/USB adapters at first,
but, in this case, the PS2 keyboard & mouse drew too much power and the PC
wouldn't recognize them.

"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message
news:e4pXc.25805$cx.7269@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>
> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> news:66oXc.5137$HY.4584@trnddc03...
> | Thanks, Jason. Appreciate the info.
> |
> | The control panel, everything looks right, but turns out that I plugged
> the
> | mouse into the S-Video port. (Last resort - read the manual.) I still
> | think that like monitor graphic looks like a mouse.) Turns out this
> laptop
> | only has USB ports so it's off to the store to spend more money buying
> more
> | stuff. I miss Win98SE already.
> |
> | The only use I have ever found for touchpads is they're great for
putting
> | out your cigars.
> |
>
> If you don't want to purchase a USB mouse, you can purchase (cheaply) a
> USB/PS2 adapter. Most come with Twp PS/2 ports ... one for keyboard, one
for
> mouse.
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 7:38:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I use Fry's Electronics all the time. They do have good prices usually
(though their customer service department is horrible), but you really
should spend time researching the products before you make a purchase if
you are looking at getting something nice. I always go to
www.google.com and search for things like "ASUS P4P800 Review" and read
up on issues, problems, features, and suggestions.

Also, a great source of specials on things like this is
www.fatwallet.com (the forums).

----
Nathan McNulty


Fred wrote:
> Bingo! This worked for me. The keyboard/mouse were at fault in my case. I
> picked up a nice mini-mouse with retracting cable for $19.95 and an el
> cheapo but satisfactory Memorex brand USB keyboard for $20. Frys
> Electronics service spent 1/2 hour with me checking out the computer and
> explaining things and never once mentioned cost. Highly recommend that
> store.
>
> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:e3Z$BE%23iEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
>>The only problem with this suggestion is that the hardware must be able
>>to handle this. Many PS/2 mice are unable to work with USB to PS/2
>>Convertor. It may work, it may not. I would recommend looking that the
>>wireless mice that are specifically designed for laptops. You can
>>usually get these fairly cheap and most of them are USB.
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>
>>Jason Cothran wrote:
>>
>>>"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
>>>news:66oXc.5137$HY.4584@trnddc03...
>>>| Thanks, Jason. Appreciate the info.
>>>|
>>>| The control panel, everything looks right, but turns out that I
>
> plugged
>
>>>the
>>>| mouse into the S-Video port. (Last resort - read the manual.) I
>
> still
>
>>>| think that like monitor graphic looks like a mouse.) Turns out this
>>>laptop
>>>| only has USB ports so it's off to the store to spend more money buying
>>>more
>>>| stuff. I miss Win98SE already.
>>>|
>>>| The only use I have ever found for touchpads is they're great for
>
> putting
>
>>>| out your cigars.
>>>|
>>>
>>>If you don't want to purchase a USB mouse, you can purchase (cheaply) a
>>>USB/PS2 adapter. Most come with Twp PS/2 ports ... one for keyboard, one
>
> for
>
>>>mouse.
>>>
>>>
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 7:48:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Fred wrote:
>
> Well, well... Helpful Nolan again? You have now publicly demonstrated to
> the world that you are not a techie. That's OK -- we all had to start out
> somewhere.

Y'know, Fred, there's nothing wrong with you asking lots of newbie questions,
but your assholiness is awfully annoying.

Notan
August 27, 2004 7:20:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
news:412EAF0D.CDC6A0A0@ddress.com...
> Fred wrote:
> >
> > Well, well... Helpful Nolan again? You have now publicly demonstrated
to
> > the world that you are not a techie. That's OK -- we all had to start
out
> > somewhere.
>
> Y'know, Fred, there's nothing wrong with you asking lots of newbie
questions,
> but your assholiness is awfully annoying.
>
> Notan

Oh now that hurts, Nolas. I am truly sorry. I assummed that you had a
thick skin, judging from all your insulting remarks.
August 29, 2004 3:17:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, some Frys aren't that hot. The Frys in Fountain
Valley service dept is GREAT, but even at this store, I won't talk to ANY of
the techs from India or the middle east as most of them (not all) are
condescending and ignorant. The American-born techs (regardless of
ethnicity) and East Asian and Latino imports are extremely helpful!

(Not slamming anyone - this is just my experience, and at this particular
store.)

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
news:uojq$$%23iEHA.1712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I use Fry's Electronics all the time. They do have good prices usually
> (though their customer service department is horrible), but you really
> should spend time researching the products before you make a purchase if
> you are looking at getting something nice. I always go to
> www.google.com and search for things like "ASUS P4P800 Review" and read
> up on issues, problems, features, and suggestions.
>
> Also, a great source of specials on things like this is
> www.fatwallet.com (the forums).
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>
>
> Fred wrote:
> > Bingo! This worked for me. The keyboard/mouse were at fault in my case.
I
> > picked up a nice mini-mouse with retracting cable for $19.95 and an el
> > cheapo but satisfactory Memorex brand USB keyboard for $20. Frys
> > Electronics service spent 1/2 hour with me checking out the computer and
> > explaining things and never once mentioned cost. Highly recommend that
> > store.
> >
> > "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> > news:e3Z$BE%23iEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >
> >>The only problem with this suggestion is that the hardware must be able
> >>to handle this. Many PS/2 mice are unable to work with USB to PS/2
> >>Convertor. It may work, it may not. I would recommend looking that the
> >>wireless mice that are specifically designed for laptops. You can
> >>usually get these fairly cheap and most of them are USB.
> >>
> >>----
> >>Nathan McNulty
> >>
> >>
> >>Jason Cothran wrote:
> >>
> >>>"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> >>>news:66oXc.5137$HY.4584@trnddc03...
> >>>| Thanks, Jason. Appreciate the info.
> >>>|
> >>>| The control panel, everything looks right, but turns out that I
> >
> > plugged
> >
> >>>the
> >>>| mouse into the S-Video port. (Last resort - read the manual.) I
> >
> > still
> >
> >>>| think that like monitor graphic looks like a mouse.) Turns out this
> >>>laptop
> >>>| only has USB ports so it's off to the store to spend more money
buying
> >>>more
> >>>| stuff. I miss Win98SE already.
> >>>|
> >>>| The only use I have ever found for touchpads is they're great for
> >
> > putting
> >
> >>>| out your cigars.
> >>>|
> >>>
> >>>If you don't want to purchase a USB mouse, you can purchase (cheaply) a
> >>>USB/PS2 adapter. Most come with Twp PS/2 ports ... one for keyboard,
one
> >
> > for
> >
> >>>mouse.
> >>>
> >>>
> >
> >
> >
!