anacrust

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I'm thinking about either buying a pre-built system(probably Dell) or building my own. I want to support 3-4 monitors, preferrably 4. The computer will be used as an entertainment center(1080P video on large screens) as well as for work(excel VBA, some photoshop, having a ton of web pages open). I will have the computer hooked up to my TV(HD 34" CRT with HDMI ports), 2 new monitors(19") that I will buy and already have an old 17" Dell LCD Monitor. I will probably buy a large HDTV in the near future(hopefully with a DVI port) to replace the CRT.

I'm having a problem with what graphics card(s) to buy and how they should be setup with the motherboard. If there is anything you would like to recommend(Types of CPUs, ram, etc.. I have looked at the bolded links at the top of the page) let me know as it's been awhile for me. My budget is in the $700-$1300 range. I know it's a wide range. I would preferrably like to keep it around $1000 so I can start buying some new monitors.

Thanks,
Matt

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Two of these cards on a CrossFire 8x8 mobo with USB3.0 and SATA-III

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102869&cm_re=5670-_-14-102-869-_-Product

Please NOTE (by order of importance) :

Supports EyeFinity (multi monitor desktop) ...

Has 1GB GDDR per card (to support 4xHD Rez.)

Does not have a VGA port (both DVI and Display Port outputs can be converted to VGA but VGA D-Sub can't be converted to anything else ...
... Display port can also be converted to HDMI (sans audio)

Does support CrossFire

DX-11 (latest)

= Alvin =

Toms actually did a quad-display set up with 780G+ HD 3450 review here
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-780g-chipset,1785-6.html
So with the same concept but fast forward to bigger better chips/chipsets on a DDR3 platform today:
nmba.jpg

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
... On the other hand, I *AM* here to learn (more than to teach) so, I think I *WILL* trot off and read that article ... just for kicks .. As a Video Editor, I certainly do want a card that can render 60 seconds worth of 3D motion titles in less than a week ... anyone, here ever done any rotoscoping? ... gonna go read that thingy, now ... thank you.

= Al =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Except for gaming and 3D renders, the 5670 is all but overkill.

A 5770 would only provide an advantage in games. You could prolly hang 6 HDTVs off of 2x5670s ...
... I went to Ati and to Wiki and read up on Eyefinity, ... nVidia does all that but can only sppt 2 mons per card (instead of 3).

If *I* had the money, I would be getting a couple of Quadro-FX ws cards, with 1GB each ... That'd be something like $1,000 USD just for the subsystem.l

= Al =

Why buy quadro cards? You just buy a gaming card, and load the worksation card bios onto that, save about 1000$. Also, I know the purpose of Quadro isn't gaming, but boy oh boy it sure fails realy hard at that. I have a Quadro 1600M in my laptop, that thing fails at gaming.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
i know ...

Rather than do any of that, I plan to get 2 5670s and put them into the latest AM3 Mobo ... Now that the new chipset is out and Hybrid Integrated graphics are the norm ... I'll check pricing and speeds/benchmarks on the new 6-cores before I commit to AMD, tho.

I hear the REAL reason that nVidia has not come out with DX11 product is NOT because of heat and taping issues, but is because they are at MAX capacity, producing Quadro WS cards, which provide 300%+ more margin (something like that). They are not ABOUT to do runs of game cards when Pros are sucking up all the WS cards they can possibly produce.

= Al =

Uh, the 5970 is a realyt bad buy right now. The 5970 is like 700$+, when it comes back into stock, and the 5870 is 360$. So you're better of with 5870 quadfire that with 5970 crossfire ( 5850 quadfirew), only like a 100$ diffrence. Also, they like 150$ amd wuadfire mobos, so cost is not a problem wiht the moboq

EDIT: LOL, you said to 5670s. I thought you said 2 5970s.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
The funny thing is that you coulda deleted that last post & I/we never woulda seen it.

What I have been wondering, over the past 48 hours is this ...

"Eyefinity" . . . I know that Eyefinity lets you stretch your desktop across several displays and I know that AMD integraed "HYBRID" graphics let's one "share" the integrated GPU proc power with any discreet ATi card but I have a lot of questions about modes and limitations ...

I also have lots of other questions about how nVidia (which provides me this same option with my 8xAGP 7200GT-Turbo software utils), stacks up against Ati and EyeFinity ...

... Also have no idea what sort of "generic" multi-monitor support is available in (any/various) versions of Win7 ...

I have read that ATi cards support up to 3 monitors ... ALL OF THEM ?? Which ones?

Finally ... Honestly ... How much speed and memory (at least for Radeons) is required to push an HDTV 1080P HDMI at 60Hz Refresh ?? How about at 120Hz??

... These are important questions, for me, and I would like to resolve all of them before I commit the big bucks.

PS ... GAMES HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PLACE ON MY SYSTEM. I DO NOT GAME ... but, if I ever get the hankerin', I will buy a Playstation2 (or PS3 or xBox) ... I will not be using my CPU/GPU resources for games BUT ...

I *WILL* be doing ALL manner of 3D video titles and particle effects, etc.

= Hmmmmm ?!? =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Welly Welly Welly Well !

Finally some solid claims ! Sure would be nice to link into all that (info)...
... Feel free, if you came across any direct pointers, to drop them on any thread you find me on ... as an aside.

But, if spending THAT much ... I might have to go back over the comparable nVidia products and check out the benches that matter most.

University of Tom'sNewwWikiEgg . . .

I prolly really will be doing enough 3D rendering to make me look at exactly what parts of CS4 (at least) are doing with what system/workstation cpu/gpu/ram resources.

Not a thrilling proposition but, I have a few more weeks to kill (I hope).

= Al =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
happens to me all the time ... I just store my own "conclusion/opinion" and I tend to "flush" the rest ... just if you should see anything that truly sheds light on the whole subject of how game cards contribute to both 1)multi-mon and 2)3d video titles and effects modelling and rendering. You know what I am after ... 3 or 4 mons that are all capable of full HD at 60HzP minimum. For GENERAL SEMI-PRO VIDEO POST PRODUCTION