Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I upgrade video

Last response: in Components
May 14, 2010 12:55:36 PM

I have ATI Radeon xpress 200 (chipset). Can I upgrade to a pnp video card?

More about : upgrade video

a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 1:20:07 PM

pnp video card? What do you mean?
m
l
May 14, 2010 1:43:52 PM

randomkid said:
pnp video card? What do you mean?

I want to get another video card to replace the onboard one. I have 2 available PCI slots. Should have said that to begin with... sorry...with a major duh factor today.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 2:35:36 PM

What motherboard do tou have do you have a PCI Express slor or is just PCI or is it an older AGP system.

PCI video cards are worthless and should not even be looked at. If its AGP system well those cards are really bad an cost way more then they should if you have a PCI express slot then you can upgrade to any PCI express card. You will have to find out which one you have.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 12:34:15 PM

bugs_nana said:
I want to get another video card to replace the onboard one. I have 2 available PCI slots. Should have said that to begin with... sorry...with a major duh factor today.

Okay, in this case, it will be better if you can tell us what your motherboard is and we can tell you what upgrade path is possible. If you do not know it, you can download cpu-z and install it in your PC. When you run it, you can go to the motherboard tab and it will tell you the manufacturer and model and even the BIOS version.
m
l
May 15, 2010 4:30:41 PM

saaiello said:
What motherboard do tou have do you have a PCI Express slor or is just PCI or is it an older AGP system.

PCI video cards are worthless and should not even be looked at. If its AGP system well those cards are really bad an cost way more then they should if you have a PCI express slot then you can upgrade to any PCI express card. You will have to find out which one you have.

Motherboard is Asus A8AE-LE, HP AmberineM-GL6E, and I do have 1 PCI express slot, no AGP. Reason I'm asking is I would like to upgrade to Win 7 from Vista. Win 7 report says it's a can do, but...want to get 2nd opinion before I upgrade. Thanks much, your help is greatly appreciated.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2010 12:49:20 AM

I can not find your motherboard in Asus website.
http://www.asus.com/AllProducts.aspx?PG_ID=mKyCKlQ4oSEt...
It would be the best place to look but perhaps this being an OEM to HP, they do not list it on their site.
In HP this is what I found:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

Yes, it shows that it got a PCI express slot in the picture so yes you can get a PCIe Video Card. And the video card will probably come with a Win7 driver.

But there is still no download for the drivers for Win7 for your motherboard. It means that your chipset, audio and LAN, etc may not work correctly. You can try the same drivers you installed for Vista which may work but if it doesn't the you may have to stay at Vista until WIn7 drivers becomes available.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2010 12:29:48 PM

Win 7 should run perfectly fine almost all vista drivers work on Win 7 and Win 7 will install most of your drivers for you should be OK and as for your Video Card you can upgrade to an PCIE video card but you may need a new PSU to run your new card.
May 16, 2010 1:31:30 PM

randomkid said:
I can not find your motherboard in Asus website.
http://www.asus.com/AllProducts.aspx?PG_ID=mKyCKlQ4oSEt...
It would be the best place to look but perhaps this being an OEM to HP, they do not list it on their site.
In HP this is what I found:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

Yes, it shows that it got a PCI express slot in the picture so yes you can get a PCIe Video Card. And the video card will probably come with a Win7 driver.

But there is still no download for the drivers for Win7 for your motherboard. It means that your chipset, audio and LAN, etc may not work correctly. You can try the same drivers you installed for Vista which may work but if it doesn't the you may have to stay at Vista until WIn7 drivers becomes available.

Thanks much. I searched myself and came up empty also.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2010 1:35:37 PM

bugs_nana said:
Thanks much. I searched myself and came up empty also.

You can try as SAAIELLO said that Vista drivers will work in Win7. I also usually find that the drivers for my mobo and video cards are the same for Vista & Window 7 so chances are Vista Drivers that you used before for your motherboard will run on Win7. No harm trying...
m
l
May 16, 2010 2:20:54 PM

saaiello said:
Win 7 should run perfectly fine almost all vista drivers work on Win 7 and Win 7 will install most of your drivers for you should be OK and as for your Video Card you can upgrade to an PCIE video card but you may need a new PSU to run your new card.

The upgrade report say's I would need to check Win Update for lastest drivers for Radeon Express 200 and RealTek AC 97 or they may not work properly. I'm a bit concerned about the MB also, as I can't find drivers. As you probably saw, another member searched for me and came up empty also. Ive upgraded the RAM, DVD Burners, added a USB port card. Maybe time to upgrade MB and Processor.

Dumb question...but have to ask...doesn't the Win7 advisor check out the MB for compatiblity? All this is making my brain hurt...I'm almost at the " just get a new computer dummy" point. LOL

Thank ya'll for your help and patience, it is ever so greatly appreciated!!
m
l
May 16, 2010 2:46:31 PM

randomkid said:
You can try as SAAIELLO said that Vista drivers will work in Win7. I also usually find that the drivers for my mobo and video cards are the same for Vista & Window 7 so chances are Vista Drivers that you used before for your motherboard will run on Win7. No harm trying...

True, everything is working fine with Vista at this point. I did upgrade the BIOS, ect before the Vista upgrade. Thank you again, your help is greatly appreciated.
m
l
May 28, 2010 7:26:09 PM

Best answer selected by bugs_nana.
m
l
!