Sign in with
Your question

Need some help overclocking cpu/nb 965

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
January 2, 2013 9:12:25 PM

I am trying to overclock my cpu to decrease the bottleneck i have with crossfire 7850s.
Now i got it to 3.8ghz at 1.47v but at load its at 1.43ish i only used the multiplier and tested it with prime for 15min without errors.
Well should i try and go further to 4ghz or start working an nb frequency? i read this increases performance great. Is it by default 2000mhz? I see this in gpuz under the memory tab or im i wrong? And what voltage do i use when going to 2400 or even higher? please help.

More about : overclocking cpu 965

January 2, 2013 11:42:54 PM

Meanwhile i got it at 3.9ghz at 1.5v but at 1.46v at load.
Highest temps using core temp was 48c.
I runned prime for 30min on the blend option without errors (should i use one of the others?)
When at 3.9ghz and 1.48v i got an error at one core after 12min.
I dont think i will go an give it more volts.. well 4ghz is a nicer number though :) 
I still would like to get some info about the correct voltage of the cpu/nb.
January 3, 2013 7:45:38 PM

Try small ftf, I think blend is for ram.
Related resources
January 3, 2013 7:47:39 PM

And 3.9 is usually the wall for this chip unless u get lucky
January 3, 2013 7:52:55 PM

I did not seem so stable after all..i was seeing wierd thing while playing textures freak out freezing pfff
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 1:44:00 AM

You can use LLC to correct vdroop (voltage drop upon load).

You currently have voltage and temperature headroom, 4.0Ghz just might be possible. Let's work on that before working on the northbridge.

I suggest testing for two hours using small fft's, this will reveal if the overclock is mostly stable.
January 4, 2013 6:02:26 PM

Ok i ran prime again on small fft's for 30min and it was fine again with the same voltage.
I cant seem to find llc in my bios but i also read it can cause stability problems voltage spikes. Gonna try 4ghz now with one increment of voltage. But why was my game freezing and the sound also? when whearing a headphone that made me jump :) 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 6:26:20 PM

Passing prime doesn't guarantee stability, it just gives you a general idea of stability. Once you used the computer for a few weeks running many different applications with no crashes then you have stability.

30 minutes of prime is not enough time, two hours is recommended.

LLC stands for load line calibration, what motherboard are you using?
January 4, 2013 6:42:53 PM

The motherboard is M4A79XTD EVO.
I tried 4ghz with 1.51v but after 5 min prime one core got an error.
Then i upped the volt to 1.52 and i got a bsod the second i started prime.
But the voltage is always lower at load 1.45~1.47.
And when at auto even at stock speeds its also in the 1.4v area.
Should i go even higher with the volts? people say 1.55v is the max.
I will go for a longer prime run when i have more patience.
Thanks for the help.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 9:55:23 PM

1.55v is the max, looking through the manual I didn't see any settings for LLC. So long as your temps stay below the recommended 55C you should be fine going up to 1.55v.

If you can't get 4.0 stable then just stick with 3.9Ghz and we'll move onto overclocking the northbridge. A northbridge overclock to around 2800Mhz will give you way more of a performance boost than an extra 100Mhz on the cpu.
January 4, 2013 10:17:38 PM

Yeah i did went down to 3.9ghz but it was not stable in games and not even 3.8ghz at 1.48v it just start to freeze and wierd colors come up and when i close it windows shows the same strange things.. then i need to reboot for the problem to go away.
How can i fix this or do i just have a cpu that does not like to oc?
January 4, 2013 10:21:40 PM

And also the temps dont seem to change whatever voltage i give it the max is 47c is this normal?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 5, 2013 1:02:28 AM

Your overclock likely isn't as stable as you think that's why i said two hours of prime95. Adding more voltage just may be the answer.

Try some other testing programs such as OCCT and LinX.

I'm sure once you get a high enough voltage that temp will go up, what program are you using to monitor temps?
January 5, 2013 1:39:23 AM

Core temp. I should atleast get 3.8ghz at 1.45v? well i was using games to kinda test for stability. but will continue tomorrow.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 5, 2013 2:15:58 AM

"I should atleast get 3.8ghz at 1.45v?" don't be so quick to assume this. Every chip is different the only thing guaranteed is stock clocks at stock voltage. Some chips will require more voltage some less, it's just a matter of finding your chips sweet spot.
!