BIOS not recognising SATA Hard Disk Drive

Thedan

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
When i started my PC the other day i received the error 'DISK BOOT FAILURE , INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER' in the BIOS. The 160g SATA disk was quite old so i bought a new 1 TB HDD. I installed it and i am 100% sure i did it correctly however , it was not 'recognised' either. My previous HDD has been working for years without any RAID configurations and i am suprised how it stopped working so suddenly.

. Motherboard: http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=A-N68SV&fMTYPE=Socket+AM2 + NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT and a Non-Brand 4.1 Sound Card

My old hard disk was a MAXTOR , i dont know any details like the model number because i did not buy it.

Im new to forums and dont know anything about them so i apologise if this post is in the wrong place :D

Check both power supply connections to the drives. Download or find a copy of maxblast 5.0 to prep your new drive. It will also make a drive to drive copy if your old drive is recognised. The maxblast cd acts as a bootdisk. Other retail boxes of hardrives have similar software. For the bios, set the boot order as cd (or dvd)>hardrive (or ide0).

Thedan

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
I've downloaded Maxblast , but i have no idea what to do as i have no access to my old hardrive as i cannot get past the BIOS , i have written this post on my laptop so i cannot plug the hard drive into this

Thedan

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Update, ive created a boot disk and tried both options 'Start Windows' and the other one on my MAXTOR Drive , both were unsuccessful because a disk could not be found or a OS could not be found. Please Help!

Thedan

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010

---

I've plugged it in to SATA1 , and enabled RAID for SATA 1 and changed the Boot order. I just ran the Windows XP ( SP3 intergrated ) and it ran for a bit; looking for drivers etc. but eventually it fails because it can find any disks. Is it just my motherboard is stuffed?

DO NOT enable RAID in the BIOS. Instead Load Optimized/Defaults [same thing].

Also, not knowing you MOBO, but XP installation often requires a RAID driver prior to installation; if that is the case then you will need either: 1. Floppy {bootable} with the required pre-installer driver, 2. Use nLiteOS to make a custom XP installer CD/DVD.

So, Q - is the RAID driver being/been requested during Windows Installation?

Thedan

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010

A: There is no mention of a RAID driver being required ( This is SP3 Intergrated , not sure if this has more drivers or anything). I'm unable to turn off RAID for now because it wont show the POST screen anymore , just goes straight to booting. However, im sure with a few tweaks i can get to it. Im going to try the nLiteOS method when i next can.

Thedan

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Thanks! All it needed was a simple reset, im not sure how these forums work , do i give you a star or something?