Overclocking at i7 3770K voltage doesnt match

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
So Im trying to overclock my new i7 and for some reason I cant get a good reading on the voltage. in the bios it says something like 1.084 and in CPUZ its something like 1.223

**Edit I just overclock it to 4.2 and CPUZ says the voltage is 1.160 (and moving up and down a bit) and Core temp says 1.2610 and this number didnt change from the 4.0 overclock. which one is correct?

Iv'e overclock in the past and I dont know why this is giving me this issue. All I want is a 4.2Ghz oc, nothing crazy.

btw Im using a sabertooth z77 and the bios is up to date.

Thanks again

codeman553

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Is this during load? Could be caused by CPU LLC witch changes the voltage based on load. The level at witch it drops or raises is based on the level set within the bios. Also i would recommend reading the guides Ubrales listed as i am sure they will go over power management settings.

Yes, different temps utilities will read somewhat different temps because of the way the temps are measured, quantified, and then displayed.

Instantaneous temps cannot be displayed, therefore some sort of calculations are applied to the raw values and the results displayed. Hence the variations.

On Monday when I first powered up my i7 3770K computer (after building) there was a 10 deg. C difference between the temp displayed on the motherboard and RealTemp. - Today, they read the same. (Break-in period?)

discors56009

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

Here is your issue...

CPU-Z displays your Core Voltage, sometimes referred to as Vcore. This is the voltage that your CPU is running; refreshed frequently by CPU-Z.

Core Temp (and probably your MOBO) displays your VID. This is the "Voltage Identification" of your CPU. This is the voltage that your CPU "likes" to run, the one it is most comfortable with. This can varry as each chip, although manufactured the same, exhibit different characteristics.

The benefits of knowing your VID come into play when Overclocking with an offset setting. However, I suggest if your Overclock is running stable at frosty temps then keep all other setting except the multiplier at stock settings!

Good luck, and happy overclocking!! :D :D