Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this ok to do EDIT: I think I figured out my problem =( It's bad

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2010 9:29:26 PM

Hi Everyyyybodddy! (Hi Dr. Nick)

Anyway,

I am putting together my first build. The parts came yesterday and I got everything put together and upon first boot I got an error on my monitor 'No video signal, check input cable'. Well, I've gone through the troubleshoot thread 4 or 5 times and have completed all of the steps to no avail. I am nervous about breadboarding, it just seems dangerous to me. I know this may not be the case, but it still seems dangerous to me as a noob.

A couple of problems that have made this issue hard to diagnose are the fact that my MOBO has no internal Speaker, and no integrated video. My girlfriend is supposed to pick up an internal speaker when she comes home from work. Before I go through anything more, I will post the specs to my PC.

CASE
PSU
GPU
PSU
MOBO
HDD
RAM
MONITOR

My 24 and 12 pin connections are snug.
My PCI-E connection is snug (I've tried each different set of PCI-E wires coming from the PSU).
I booted with each stick of ram, each in separate slots in every combination.
I disassembled everything and put it back together, re-wiring everything and to check for noticeable shorts.
All of my standoffs are placed correctly, etc.
I've tried both the adapter on the cable (in both slots on the GPU) that came with monitor as well as a HDMI cable I purchased.

Upon powering, all of my fans are turning, including the GPU fan and the Heatsink fan (I would have immediately ceased power if something had not been turning. My front LED lights are on. The only thing that seemed odd to me, was once I had the power on the PSU itself turned on, I could press the Power button on the case to turn it on, but it would not turn it off.

Anyway, the thought of a very old Intel Celeron 433 I had lying around crossed my mind. It has a very old GFX card of some sort in it. Does it pose any significant danger to try using it to rule out the case of my new card being sent DOA? Also, I wondered if anyone could give me tips on identifying, extracting and installing the old computers internal speaker on my new MOBO? Or should I wait and hope that my GF is able to find one and pick it up?

Thanks for all of your help!

Will Malcom

UPDATE: She wasn't able to get a MOBO speaker, I guess I'll have to order it!

Best solution

March 6, 2010 11:25:24 PM

My Antec cases do not come with case speakers. I used old ones salvages from old cases. Open up your old case. All the case wiring will be together. Look for a small 4 pin header with the center two wires missing and black and red wires on the two outer pins. That's the case speaker. Until you install one, you are pretty much at a standstill.

Although breadboarding is untidy, it is safe. And it is the best way I know of to test parts before you install them in a case.

If the old computer's video card is PCI, it is safe to use. In fact, I keep an old one for troubleshooting. If it is AGP, you are out of luck.
March 7, 2010 6:32:36 AM

Thank you for your post, I appreciate your help. Well, I tried my old PCI card, with no luck.

However, I was able to remove the old case speaker from my other case. I just wasn't sure where I should put it on my motherboard. My motherboard is the GA-790XTA-UD4.

Any response will help. Thanks! I'll probably post another message re: this specific issue in the forums.

Also, I understand breadboarding to a degree. I just don't completely 'get' it I guess. :/  I need to read more about it, I suppose.

Thanks Again!
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2010 7:07:18 AM

Well, I think I may have figured out the problem. I got my case speaker installed, booted with no beeps =( so my problem area is either PSU, CPU, or MOBO.

I decided to remove the heatsink and processor. This was the only item I hadn't checked from the troubleshooting thread (making sure that I removed the plastic shield from the socket). I KNEW that I had, but wanted to be thorough.

Try as I may to remove my processor with care from the heatsink, it did not go as planned =(.

First, I tried gently twisting the heatsink to remove it from the socket. Fail.

Without forcing it I placed it back to research more on how to do this. I released the zif socket and brought them both up together.
One of the pins on the processor is slightly bent =(.

What do I do now?

Well, here is what I did.

EDIT: I was able to bend the pin back to it's uniform shape and position using a mechanical pencil (inserting the pin into it's tip and adjusting with GREAT ease. It appears to be in line with all of the other pins from each angle at which you look at it. I assume as long as it makes a good connection with the MOBO it should be ok. So maybe I saved it, maybe not, IDK.

Now my problem is getting the processor off of the heatsink. I don't want to force it!!! Can you offer a tip as to making this easier?
m
l
March 7, 2010 5:02:11 PM

what did you use for thermal paste? Ive used spray freeze in a can (similar to spray duster) you can get at most electronic stores...Fry's alwasy has it. Anyway...for thermal paste that is also an adhesive I spray for 30-40 seconds and it usually breaks apart. be very careful though...you don't want any more damage.

how did you get the CPU out with the heatsink still on??? I would try to lock the CPU back into the board to protect the pins and tap the heatsink (not twist) one way then teh other.
m
l
March 7, 2010 5:38:34 PM

There was stock thermal paste that came on the heatsink.
The heatsink and the CPU seem to be welded together. I released the ZIF socket arm thing, and removed the seating brackets of course, and just pulled up and they came up together.

I think at this point maybe I should take it to a professional? Any opinions?
m
l
March 7, 2010 8:58:17 PM

Got it to POST!!!! yay!
m
l
March 13, 2010 11:06:23 PM

Best answer selected by WillMalcom.
m
l
!