New to i5 3570k OC'ing. Just want some feedback

reely989

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Hey guys, I just started messing around with overclocking my i5 3570k. I have an extreme4 with a Coolermaster 212 cooling it. Right now, I have it OC'ed to 4.6ghz and am running about 1.26 voltage. I'm pretty satisfied with both of those things, but my temperatures in Prime95 concern me. They hit 93, but generally kept around 89. That was the hottest core. Some of the other cores never left the low 80s. To me, that suggests poor application of thermal interface material, but I could be wrong on that. I guess my question is--- Would you guys be fine with those temps in prime 95 with an otherwise stable overclock? Any nice little tips for a newbie? haha

Thanks guys

reely989

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

Yeah, after reading around, this seems absurdly high. At idle, they are low 30's. I think I definitely need to reapply my Arctic Silver. I know the TJMax is 105- but seeing other people's much lower temps under stress, I kind of hesitate to keep this OC.

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
What CM 212 do you have? i had the 212 plus it had some pretty crappy gaps in the pipes. went to the 212 evo its significantly better!

...and correct me if im wrong the artic silver needs a "cure" time? the mx-4 or other varies brands have an instance effect.

reely989

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
What CM 212 do you have? i had the 212 plus it had some pretty crappy gaps in the pipes. went to the 212 evo its significantly better!

...and correct me if im wrong the artic silver needs a "cure" time? the mx-4 or other varies brands have an instance effect.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I have the Hyper 212 Evo. That's the main reason I was shocked by the temps. I knew it had a great reputation.

And I believe you are correct, but I doubt even with its cure time that it would lower my temps by 8-10 degrees. I could be wrong on that count, however. I'm definitely thinking that I put too much AS5 on it though. Probably worth the effort to reseat it. The design of the Hyper 212 seems like it'd make it a pretty painless process.

If you don't mind me being an annoying newbie, what method did you use for applying the thermal material? I tried spreading it manually before seating the heatsink, but I think that is a mistake to do. Grain of rice in the middle of the processor, then just seat the heat sink?

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I wouldn't freak out over those temps, but I personally wouldn't run it that high either. Though I'm not exactly sure what the temps allowed are for that chip mines an old core i7 920, but I like to keep it around 70 on load.

Anything above 80 I would take down a bit. But that's really up to you. How long do you plan on having this cpu for. And that's a serious question. I ran mine hot 70-80c before I got my new cooler, and that was for a couple years and still going strong (i just wanted to oc some more lol).

And for the stuff that's one way to do it, some people like to spread it themselves also. Though you should know when you pull it off on how well it covered, and be able to tell if it's was to thick.

reely989

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I wouldn't freak out over those temps, but I personally wouldn't run it that high either. Though I'm not exactly sure what the temps allowed are for that chip mines an old core i7 920, but I like to keep it around 70 on load.

Anything above 80 I would take down a bit. But that's really up to you. How long do you plan on having this cpu for. And that's a serious question. I ran mine hot 70-80c before I got my new cooler, and that was for a couple years and still going strong (i just wanted to oc some more lol).

And for the stuff that's one way to do it, some people like to spread it themselves also. Though you should know when you pull it off on how well it covered, and be able to tell if it's was to thick.

Appreciate the response!

And that's a great question too! I'd say, I'd love 4 years out of it. I think I may try re-seating the thermal paste tonight. If nothing else, something to tinker with, haha.

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012

i have tried many of the methods, spread, lines, dot. i go with the dot now. the spread just always seems to get messy, possible dirt into it, uneven. dots nice, quick clean seems to work well!

...hmm "grain of rice." maybe my pea size is to much! i better reevaluate that :)

reely989

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I reapplied it, and my temps went down a bit. Closer to 85-86 now under prime. Still not what I"m looking for, and probably another shoddy job of applying it. Was a bit frustrated. One of the retention posts in my MB got loose somehow, so I had to take the board out of the case and tighten it. Turned out to be a much bigger ordeal than I was wanting tonight, haha. But, I appreciate all the responses guys.

asalikus

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
It isn't too much...

reely989

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

I lowered it some, but I don't believe 1.26v is too high at either rate. The things are safe up to 1.5v, and I don't see why 1.26V wouldn't be totally acceptable as long as temperature was manageable.

asalikus

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Nah, I would keep the voltage below 1.300v just because of the life-span.:)

EzioAs

Distinguished
I said it was too high because of the temps (89-93 isn't what I consider safe), I know the voltages can go higher. I'm using the same cooler and I set the voltages to 1.18V and max temps are 75-78 degrees after 12 hours of prime95. I could in fact set it higher but I didn't think it'll be 24/7 safe

asalikus

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Yeah, temperature is the problem here +1.