Phone Is Switching Between AT&T and Cingular

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
March 18, 2005 10:50:03 AM

My daughter's phone (purchased under AT&T) is switching back and forth
between AT&T and Cingular (Fort Worth area). Last night my wife's
AT&T phone (Arizona) started showing Cingular. I thought that when
they switched, they stayed switched. How long will this back and
forth switching go on?
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 8:07:49 PM

Your phone continually scans for the 'best' network connection -- that's
normal. Eventually, you'll not notice the difference because it will always
say Cingular (As Cingular changes all the AT&T Towers to show Cingular).

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> My daughter's phone (purchased under AT&T) is switching back and forth
> between AT&T and Cingular (Fort Worth area). Last night my wife's
> AT&T phone (Arizona) started showing Cingular. I thought that when
> they switched, they stayed switched. How long will this back and
> forth switching go on?
March 18, 2005 8:07:50 PM

OK. Thanks. I guess that tells me that our local tower has been
changed to Cingular, but in the Fort Worth area, it depends upon where
you are in the city. Interestingly, my phone, which has always been
on Cingular, has always shown cingular from what I assume has to be
the same tower that switched my wife's AT&T phone to Cingular. Would
they have carried both networks for a period of time?

Dick

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:07:49 GMT, "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:

>Your phone continually scans for the 'best' network connection -- that's
>normal. Eventually, you'll not notice the difference because it will always
>say Cingular (As Cingular changes all the AT&T Towers to show Cingular).
>

>"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
>> My daughter's phone (purchased under AT&T) is switching back and forth
>> between AT&T and Cingular (Fort Worth area). Last night my wife's
>> AT&T phone (Arizona) started showing Cingular. I thought that when
>> they switched, they stayed switched. How long will this back and
>> forth switching go on?

Related resources
March 19, 2005 1:20:35 AM

Dick wrote:

> OK. Thanks. I guess that tells me that our local tower has been
> changed to Cingular, but in the Fort Worth area, it depends upon where
> you are in the city. Interestingly, my phone, which has always been
> on Cingular, has always shown cingular from what I assume has to be
> the same tower that switched my wife's AT&T phone to Cingular. Would
> they have carried both networks for a period of time?

They're carrying both networks now and for the near future.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

> My daughter's phone (purchased under AT&T) is switching back and forth
> between AT&T and Cingular (Fort Worth area). Last night my wife's
> AT&T phone (Arizona) started showing Cingular. I thought that when
> they switched, they stayed switched. How long will this back and
> forth switching go on?

Probably awhile. I still have what was an AT&T account. And, in my area,
there was a roaming agreement with Cingular. My TDMA phone would show AT&T
and Cingular. When I switched to a GSM plan, the phone originally showed
AT&T and Cingular Wireless. More recently, my phone shows Cingular and
Cingular Wireless -- Cingular (without the Wireless tag) representing what
used to be AT&T. If you're still getting AT&T some of the time, some of
the towers in your area may not have been switched over, yet.

Bill K
March 21, 2005 7:57:29 PM

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 05:17:49 GMT, Bill Kraski
<Bill.Kraski.NoSpam@verizon.invalid> wrote:

>Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>
>> My daughter's phone (purchased under AT&T) is switching back and forth
>> between AT&T and Cingular (Fort Worth area). Last night my wife's
>> AT&T phone (Arizona) started showing Cingular. I thought that when
>> they switched, they stayed switched. How long will this back and
>> forth switching go on?
>
>Probably awhile. I still have what was an AT&T account. And, in my area,
>there was a roaming agreement with Cingular. My TDMA phone would show AT&T
>and Cingular. When I switched to a GSM plan, the phone originally showed
>AT&T and Cingular Wireless. More recently, my phone shows Cingular and
>Cingular Wireless -- Cingular (without the Wireless tag) representing what
>used to be AT&T. If you're still getting AT&T some of the time, some of
>the towers in your area may not have been switched over, yet.
>
>Bill K

Interestingly, my daughter and wife were sitting together at the
Phoenix airport today. Her phone said AT&T/Cingular. My wife's phone
said Cingular. Both phones are Nokias on the same account, same area
code, etc.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 6:34:35 AM

I live in Connecticut and have a Gait phone (6340i). With my phone sitting
on my desk not being used, it switches back and forth from cingular to
extended mode. I was told it is connected to an AT&T tower when it shows
extended mode. I don't believe it does this looking for the strongest
signal. It has switched to a weaker signal many times. If it is on one a
weak signal tower, I have to power off and back on to connect to a different
tower before I can use it. I don't know what would happen if it switched
towers while I was using the phone. It might just drop the call. Charles
Ranheim
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 6:39:52 AM

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 05:17:49 GMT, Bill Kraski
> <Bill.Kraski.NoSpam@verizon.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>>
>>> My daughter's phone (purchased under AT&T) is switching back and forth
>>> between AT&T and Cingular (Fort Worth area). Last night my wife's
>>> AT&T phone (Arizona) started showing Cingular. I thought that when
>>> they switched, they stayed switched. How long will this back and
>>> forth switching go on?
>>
>>Probably awhile. I still have what was an AT&T account. And, in my area,
>>there was a roaming agreement with Cingular. My TDMA phone would show
>>AT&T
>>and Cingular. When I switched to a GSM plan, the phone originally showed
>>AT&T and Cingular Wireless. More recently, my phone shows Cingular and
>>Cingular Wireless -- Cingular (without the Wireless tag) representing what
>>used to be AT&T. If you're still getting AT&T some of the time, some of
>>the towers in your area may not have been switched over, yet.
>>
>>Bill K
>
> Interestingly, my daughter and wife were sitting together at the
> Phoenix airport today. Her phone said AT&T/Cingular. My wife's phone
> said Cingular. Both phones are Nokias on the same account, same area
> code, etc.

They are currently in the process of changing all the old AWS towers "alpha
tags". Anything reading AWS must be done away with by Cingulars internal
deadline of March 31st.

You are still only reading the blue(AWS) towers.

Hope this helps.

--
JJ

http://www.cingular.com
http://www.texaspowerhouse.com
http://www.txmma.com
March 22, 2005 6:39:53 AM

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 03:39:52 GMT, "Jiu Jitsuperfly"
<jiujitsuperfly@satx.rr.complicated> wrote:

>> Interestingly, my daughter and wife were sitting together at the
>> Phoenix airport today. Her phone said AT&T/Cingular. My wife's phone
>> said Cingular. Both phones are Nokias on the same account, same area
>> code, etc.
>

>They are currently in the process of changing all the old AWS towers "alpha
>tags". Anything reading AWS must be done away with by Cingulars internal
>deadline of March 31st.
>
>You are still only reading the blue(AWS) towers.
>
>Hope this helps.

How would this explain that the two phones read different things?
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 8:38:08 AM

Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

> How would this explain that the two phones read different things?

I've never had a Nokia, but there could be different internal readings based
on the individual phones. My Motorola V180 (GSM) gives me Cingular &
Cingular Wireless. My old Panasonic Duramax (TDMA), which I keep because
it'll still allow me to do a 911 call where AMPS is all that's available,
still reads AT&T. The changeover for the towers is still in process, but
some of the phones may give an older display, no matter what the tower
changes are.

Bill K
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 11:56:23 PM

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 03:39:52 GMT, "Jiu Jitsuperfly"
> <jiujitsuperfly@satx.rr.complicated> wrote:
>

>>> Interestingly, my daughter and wife were sitting together at the
>>> Phoenix airport today. Her phone said AT&T/Cingular. My wife's phone
>>> said Cingular. Both phones are Nokias on the same account, same area
>>> code, etc.
>>

>>They are currently in the process of changing all the old AWS towers
>>"alpha
>>tags". Anything reading AWS must be done away with by Cingulars internal
>>deadline of March 31st.
>>
>>You are still only reading the blue(AWS) towers.
>>
>>Hope this helps.
>
> How would this explain that the two phones read different things?

Version of soft/firmware.

--
JJ

http://www.cingular.com
http://www.texaspowerhouse.com
http://www.txmma.com
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 9:19:22 PM

Phones will always prefer the Home network over any non-Home network, even
when the non-Home network has a better signal; i.e., a phone Homed on blue
(ATTWS) will prefer blue even when orange (Cingular) has a better signal.

In <FVD_d.11661$C47.746@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com> on Fri, 18 Mar 2005
17:07:49 GMT, "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:

>Your phone continually scans for the 'best' network connection -- that's
>normal. Eventually, you'll not notice the difference because it will always
>say Cingular (As Cingular changes all the AT&T Towers to show Cingular).
>
>"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
>> My daughter's phone (purchased under AT&T) is switching back and forth
>> between AT&T and Cingular (Fort Worth area). Last night my wife's
>> AT&T phone (Arizona) started showing Cingular. I thought that when
>> they switched, they stayed switched. How long will this back and
>> forth switching go on?

March 23, 2005 9:19:23 PM

Yes, but. Both phones are on the same account. Both phones out of
their home area. Both phones side-by-side. One says AT&T/Cingular.
The other says Cingular (Both Nokia's, but different models). I was
told it was the software in the phones that made them show different
carriers. The next time I see my daughter I will put her SIM card in
my pure Cingular phone and see what it says.

Dick

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:19:22 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>Phones will always prefer the Home network over any non-Home network, even
>when the non-Home network has a better signal; i.e., a phone Homed on blue
>(ATTWS) will prefer blue even when orange (Cingular) has a better signal.
>
>In <FVD_d.11661$C47.746@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com> on Fri, 18 Mar 2005
>17:07:49 GMT, "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:
>
>>Your phone continually scans for the 'best' network connection -- that's
>>normal. Eventually, you'll not notice the difference because it will always
>>say Cingular (As Cingular changes all the AT&T Towers to show Cingular).
>>
>>"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
>>> My daughter's phone (purchased under AT&T) is switching back and forth
>>> between AT&T and Cingular (Fort Worth area). Last night my wife's
>>> AT&T phone (Arizona) started showing Cingular. I thought that when
>>> they switched, they stayed switched. How long will this back and
>>> forth switching go on?
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 9:20:41 PM

Cingular is just changing the "AT&T Wireless" display to "Cingular" -- that's
just branding, since the networks are still separate.