Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help trouble shooting internet connection

Last response: in Networking
Share
January 27, 2010 9:35:47 PM

I tried looking through the FAQ but couldn't find anything useful.

I've got an old hp 7855 running on windows ME. I haven't used it in several years, I bought a new harddrive for it and reinstalled windows. I'm trying to get it working for a friend.

In the device manager it shows that the 'fast ethernet' is functioning properly. I tried going through the computers 'setup' for internet connections but nothing seems to be working. I have it plugged into my verizon fios router via an ethernet wire.

Any ideas on what I should do?
January 29, 2010 2:23:01 PM

Have you power cycled the modem? I know cable modems need to be power cycled when switching the component that is directly connected to it - computer or router.
m
0
l
January 30, 2010 2:57:26 AM

Yes I've tried that.

I just upgraded to windows XP.

Still no connection to the internet. I tried using another ethernet wire, didn't work.

It says 'Network Cable Unplugged'

Any other ideas?

I haven't updated any drivers (seeing as the computer has no internet connection).

could an outdated ethernet card driver bet he issue?


its using 'realtek rtl8139/810x family fast Ethernet NIC'
m
0
l
Related resources
January 30, 2010 3:34:27 AM

nevermind about the driver, I updated it, and its still not working...
m
0
l
January 30, 2010 3:52:37 AM

socialstealth said:
nevermind about the driver, I updated it, and its still not working...


Have you verified that the cable modem is working? Do you have another PC that you can hook up to it to test if not?
m
0
l
January 31, 2010 1:01:18 AM

MaizeNBlue2 said:
Have you verified that the cable modem is working? Do you have another PC that you can hook up to it to test if not?


Yes I'm using a computer connected to the cable modem right now. I tried unplugging this computer that I'm on right now and plugging the ethernet cable from my router into my hp 7855 and it still had the same problem.

So its not the modem, its not the wire

Window's hardware manager says the 'device is working properly'

I've tried several 'work arounds' that I've found and none have worked;
Tried turning off 'power saving' mode for the ethernet adapter
tried changing the value of the ethernet adapter (from auto to 100 full)


Any idea what 'media disconnected' means? That message came up when I was trying some cmds in dos
m
0
l
January 31, 2010 3:13:26 AM

socialstealth said:
Yes I'm using a computer connected to the cable modem right now. I tried unplugging this computer that I'm on right now and plugging the ethernet cable from my router into my hp 7855 and it still had the same problem.

So its not the modem, its not the wire

Window's hardware manager says the 'device is working properly'

I've tried several 'work arounds' that I've found and none have worked;
Tried turning off 'power saving' mode for the ethernet adapter
tried changing the value of the ethernet adapter (from auto to 100 full)


Any idea what 'media disconnected' means? That message came up when I was trying some cmds in dos


Media disconnected basically means that the adapter doesn't see a cable present in the port. It's the same message that you'll get if you don't have a ethernet cable plugged in to your PC.

I don't suppose you have an extra PCI NIC laying around? It sounds like the NIC is bad to me.
m
0
l
February 1, 2010 5:25:59 PM

Yep, I took the NIC out of my old computer (10 mb max lol) and it works great.

Thanks for all the help :) 

I don't suppose you could help me build a laptop? I've been looking at replacement mobos for the hp dv5, but I'm not exactly sure what I would need to buy to completely build the laptop?
m
0
l
February 1, 2010 5:30:50 PM

socialstealth said:
Yep, I took the NIC out of my old computer (10 mb max lol) and it works great.

Thanks for all the help :) 

I don't suppose you could help me build a laptop? I've been looking at replacement mobos for the hp dv5, but I'm not exactly sure what I would need to buy to completely build the laptop?


In all honesty, if your having problems with a motherboard, it's cheaper to just replace the laptop. Replacing the motherboard is not something that's easily accomplished in a laptop, and if you have to pay someone to do it, then it's going to cost you more than it's worth to fix.
m
0
l
!