Sign in with
Your question

FX 6300 oc questions

Last response: in Overclocking
January 3, 2013 4:10:51 AM

This is my first time overclocking, and I'm currently at 4.5ghz @ 1.36 ~ 1.376v @ 47C (Is this good? worried about voltage bouncing). I've noticed my NB temps are getting a bit high (54-58C) when running prime95.

I've turned off cool and quiet, turbo, and APM. Will I be able to turn on Cool and quiet and the APM once I get a stable clock, or will I have to sacrifice the speed and stability to have those features?

With my mobo, would it be better to just get a small fan and point it onto NB heatsink, or get a new NB heatsink altogether?

I'm also thinking of getting some fans to blow onto VRM's also.

Also, when should I start to worry about voltage being too high? I dont think I'll keep a daily oc of anything over 4.5ghz or is this already too high?

Srry for all the questions, and thanks for any help!

More about : 6300 questions

January 3, 2013 7:40:54 AM

unstable voltage is very unsafe, as it means some of the mosfets are gettting overloaded. try to have it stable to around 0.01, and it should be safe.
if you are overclocking the rams aswell, then you should have the northbridge cooled seperately because it gets very hot, unless u have a very good mobo (this comes with personaly experience so i cannot tell you) just touch the heatsink, if u can hold ur hand on it, even for a lil bit, while it has been under load for 20-30 mins then its ok.
no you should not be turning any of those on again. im not certain about the ceileing, but what i can tell you is that your voltage instability is not a good thing at all for the processor die.temp is ok at 47 but you need to know the temp under load. run prime95 for a bit to test for stability.
m
l
January 3, 2013 1:09:21 PM

I cant get my voltages to stop fluctuating by +- .015. I haven't pushed the chip past 4.5ghz or voltage past 1.375 since posting last, just going for stable OC at current specs.

So is there no way to have it downclock when not in use or under low load? I don't want to run @ 4.5ghz and 1.375v all the time...

I did try a prime95 test overnight, one core failed after 3 hrs with a rounding error, other cores went on for 9 hours of time. That was with APM on.

Having it oc'd would be nice, but I dont want it to be such a power hog as I spend large amounts of time just reading or listening to music with the PC when I do homework.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2013 6:44:40 PM

Turn the apm off! Its the cause of the frequency hopping. The core failure was do to not enough voltage. I couldn't get 4.5ghz until I got to 1.44 v. My HSF (212evo) isn't enough to keep it cool :'( 
m
l
January 3, 2013 7:03:19 PM

create oc profiles, and switch inbetween when u start playing. mt power is right.
m
l
January 3, 2013 9:40:42 PM

Okay, so I turned off apm and cool and quiet and it still bounces from 1.36v to 1.376v... Should I try changing llc settings from auto?

prime95 ran 8 hours no problems except for one core kept getting illegal sumout warnings after 2 hours of testing... do I need to up voltage even more even though other cores are fine?
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2013 10:13:04 PM

it could just be the voltage monitor unable to read between the voltage values properly, and it might not actually be fluctuating that much. It is common to get different voltage readings between idle and load, that is normal. I would source a fan to screw to the NB heatsink if you can, i wouldnt change the heatsink, just get a fan for it. If a core is getting errors, then back up the overclock or increase voltage. What power supply do you have? a 7950 and an OC'd fx6300 will draw quite a bit of power, so your power source needs to be stable. Make sure its a reliable brand like xfx, seasonic, antec or corsair of about 650w.
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:04:35 PM

I have a Thermaltake smart M series 750w psu. I know people give their PSU's a lot of flack, but their smart m series haven't had any complaints.

I upped my voltage to 1.4v and CPU-Z reports anywhere from 1.392v-1.408v. It only fluctuates like this under load, when idle it just reports the lower value.

As far as a fan for the NB, what would be the best method for attaching one? The NB itself is rectangular. Thinking about it now, I already have aside case fan blowing on it and my video card. Would another fan even help? HWMoniter reports the NB temp going as high as 64C under full load.

Another thing I noticed, when the voltage drops to 1.392 the clockspeed also drops to 4529.98 mhz. At 1.408v the clockspeed is 4530.45 mhz max. Is it normal for clockspeed to fluctuate a little?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 6:11:29 PM

Did you turn the core clock to manual? I set mine to manual and had little fluctuating. I set it back to auto, and it stopped.
m
l
January 5, 2013 10:28:15 AM

it should not fluctuate more than 0.01 volts unless the temperature of the cpu is changing. leave it under load for a while and take two readings of the voltage. the voltmeters inside are VERY accurate. cannot just be a reading error.
m
l
January 8, 2013 1:13:33 AM

I have the same CPU and it's perfectly normal for your vcore to fluctuate like that (as long as its during stress testing and ur temps are changing) mine does the same thing. and 1.376v is pretty low for this chip as far as OC volts go. do not expect to get very far with that voltage. if u can get 4.5 stable with anythihng less than 1.4 you're doing really good
m
l
February 27, 2013 7:32:10 PM

my first too.
anyways i want to use a program called amd overdrive to auto clock it but i do not know if it is safe bcos some ppl say that it crashes their pcs.
btw are we talking about the 6300 if so then good. does auto clocking change the good voltages or not. and what results do you guys get when auto clocking
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 11:06:24 PM

I got my 6300 stable @ 4.5 with Vcore @ 1.43 in Bios goes up to 1.45 under load with LLC enable < if i dont enable i get some serious Vdrop am talking from 1.45 > 1.3
m
l
April 3, 2013 10:37:46 AM

Mt Power said:
Turn the apm off! Its the cause of the frequency hopping. The core failure was do to not enough voltage. I couldn't get 4.5ghz until I got to 1.44 v. My HSF (212evo) isn't enough to keep it cool :'( 

I just installed my 212 evo and am running 1.44 / 4.5ghz as well. I haven't seen temperatures over 47c even when running stress tests. What could be causing such a difference since we have the same processor and cooler? Motherboard?
m
l
April 3, 2013 3:50:06 PM

well it could be other components, as you said motherboard and more but it could be minor things to do with the case like airflow and the positioning/amount of hardware/fans in the case as well. Oh yes and it could be the software that you use to detect your temps. I recommend that you use hwmonitor from CPUID
m
l
May 28, 2013 9:50:45 PM

bigbang said:
unstable voltage is very unsafe, as it means some of the mosfets are gettting overloaded. try to have it stable to around 0.01, and it should be safe.
if you are overclocking the rams aswell, then you should have the northbridge cooled seperately because it gets very hot, unless u have a very good mobo (this comes with personaly experience so i cannot tell you) just touch the heatsink, if u can hold ur hand on it, even for a lil bit, while it has been under load for 20-30 mins then its ok.
no you should not be turning any of those on again. im not certain about the ceileing, but what i can tell you is that your voltage instability is not a good thing at all for the processor die.temp is ok at 47 but you need to know the temp under load. run prime95 for a bit to test for stability.

hi i was just reading through this post and found your answer so i have the same problem i have overclocked my processer to 4.1ghz and the voltage is fluctuating in cpuid but its stable in core temp ok so in cpuid it goes to 1.328
so what should i do?

m
l
May 28, 2013 9:56:55 PM

Mt Power said:

hi i am having the same problem can you tell me how to turn amp off? plz
thanks.
m
l
March 28, 2014 11:15:58 PM

Mt Power said:

I am running an amd fx 6300 at 4.5ghz voltage set to 1.44 only because I have too. my setting go from
1.429 to 1.44 lol my mobo is a msi 970a-g46 however it runs great stable and cool for weeks now. I hear a noise like a loud chirpy that seems to come from CPU under load.
m
l
!