I7 2600K overclocking questions...

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
in late november I overclocked my I7 based computer to 4.5 gigahertz. Today while virus scanning it went over 72c and gave a warning. I promptly turned off the machine and rebooted and it seems to be fine. After rebooting I turned the computer fan at higher so it has a minimum of 700 to 800rpm and goes higher faster.settings than turbo. I have not had any problems in high end games such as Borderlands or Skyrim. I am surprised this happened at all. Even in stress testing using the windows experience index it only goes up to 63c.

Regardless I want to make sure this is a safe overclock. I also want to know if there is anything I should change to make the temps lower.

I forgot most of the overclocking information, but I do know the voltage is 1.5 volts. If any information is needed I can give it just let me know what you need to know.

My main concern is I do not want to burn up my computer.

Here are the main machine Specs:

-Asus Sabretooth z77 motherboard
-I7 2600k overclocked to 4.5 gigahertz
-ENERMAX FULMO Advance ECA892AG-BL Black SGCC 0.7mm ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO Cooler
-32 gigabytes of PAtriot 1600mhz RAM
-Gigabyte 670 2gb videocard
-LG bluray drive
-corsair Neutron SSD 230Gb
-Seagate 7600rpm 1TB Harddrive

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
I ran it it reached 72 or so, but I stopped it. I am not sure what the max temp is, but I do not want to risk burning up the processor. This is the first overclock I have ever done. I still do not understand why virus scan would cause it to get so hot.

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
I ran it for about a minute at full load and it went up to 76c. on idle it usually runs 32c to 34c. under normal load at most it runs 50ish. I guess my main concern is does it need to be clocked down a bit? Do I need to lower the voltage? I set the overclock using a moderate setting, but I would rather not overclock if I might burn the processor up.

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
let me ask this also....

the VSCAA Voltage is .92500
CPU PLL Voltage is 1.80000
PCH Voltage 1.05
CHA CTRL .5
CHB CTRL .5

I changed the...

DDR Voltage to 1.400 and it took 3 times as long to get to 76 on max load
I left the

BCLK Frequency at 100

CPU voltage is still 1.325

I ran Prime 95 for 3 minutes at full before it reached 76c

I guess I should mention I did not do the benchmark it ran those fine with a max temp of like 60 degrees, I ran the insane stress tests and in 3 or 4 minutes it started to give warning signs it was too hot at 76c.

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
which tests do you recommend I run with Prime95? I lowered some of the values based on what other overclockers recommend it helped some. But they said they tested it overnight. On the insane tests mine would get to warning temps in 5 minutes. The benchmarks it ran fine, but those only last 4 or 5 minutes.