Suggest a Graphic Card

WaqasUsmani

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you people can provide me some help in selecting a Graphic Card for playing games and watching movies. I've a budget of 80$-100$. Following are the specs of my machine. Presently I'm using Windows XP, I was planning to install Windows 7.

HP Compaq Business Desktop dc7100 CMT
• Intel® Pentium® 4 processors 3.0Ghz
• Intel 915G Express chipset with Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
• 2GB DDR Synch Dram PC3200 (DDR400) Memory
• 500GB SATA WD Cavier & 120GB IDE Baracuda
• 48X/32X/48X/16X Combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive
• Integrated Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit ethernet
• 800-MHz processor front side bus support
• Intel Hyper-Thread Technology*1
• Serial ATA Hard Drives
• Support for PCI Express
• SoundMax Digital AC97 integrated audio with internal speaker
• Manageability tools included
• Energy Star compliance with energy-saving features

PCI Express x16 slot -- 1 full-height (4.2"), length (10.5")
PCI Express x1 slot -- 1 full-height (4.2"), length (13.4")
NO AGP Slot

welshmousepk

Distinguished
what resolution do you play at?

what sort of games do you want to play?

and what power supply do you have?

at that budget a GTS240 would do you well, or a 5670. but you wont be playing at a high resolution on either without lowering some settings.
plsu you must have a good enough PSU.

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I would suggest a Nvidia 9800 GT 1 GB, the extra ram will help with higher resolution such as 1920x1080, if you are using an HDTV or 23" ish monitor. I just upgraded from one of these. They tend to run "warm" 54c to 72c, They are a longer card but if I remember correctly the hit 10 1/2" on the nose. It will require a PSU of 400watts min.

If you would prefer an ATi card, I would recommend the HD4670. I just got one of these for my brother in law. They are shorter, run a little cooler, and are close in performance to the 9800 GT. I also just got the HD 4770 for my sister in law, it is a bit longer, and the fan seem to cycle and becomes annoying to me, but good bang for the buck.

Well, there is my opinion, I am sure that you will get conflicting ones. Check out the review here at tom's home page, and the hierarchy chart.

The most important thing to consider is that an upgrade in that range will require an upgrade in your Power Supply Unit, I assume, since it was not listed. Make sure to check the power requirements of the video card, and plan for it. That's why I have tried to stay to the lower end of your budget.

welshmousepk

Distinguished

dont mean to sounds like an ass, but this recommendation sounds like it was pulled from a year old post. 9800? a gts would obviously be the choice here. and a 4670? why not a better performing, quieter, cooler and more energy efficient 5xxx series card?

The HD5670 uses more power than the HD4670 which means it's also not cooler and the better performance is of questionable value in a system with a P4. Is it really quieter?

WaqasUsmani

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Sorry.... a stupid question... does this means I've to change the power supply as well :(
What if I go for a PCI card... there are 2 vacant pci slots as well... or still I'll be needing to install the additional power supply???