Sli with 8800GTX PSU question.

I wanna run two 8800GTX but not sure how to work the PSU... I have a Corsair 620w with 2X6pin PCI-e "labeled on them" connectors with 2pin hanging of each of them. Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25318999@N07/4607248588/

How do i work it if i wanna run SLI? Do i make the 6 pin a 8 pin with the extra bit hanging or do i get molex converters
The PSU Manual says it's SLI ready... Any info would be appreciated...

Regards
15 answers Last reply
More about 8800gtx question
  1. jpfourie said:
    Do i make the 6 pin a 8 pin with the extra bit hanging

That's exactly why they are there
  2. enzo matrix said:
    That's exactly why they are there

But i only have two 6 pin sockets on the card and not a 8 pin... do i plug the 2 pin in the other 6pin? sorry to ask this question but i never build or used sli before
  3. the lil 2 pins just hang loose you only use the 6 pin piece
  4. obsidian86 said:
    the lil 2 pins just hang loose you only use the 6 pin piece

So let me get this straight... You use one 6 pin for each card? Why is there two female slots for 6 pin?

Thanks for the reply
  5. no, you use 2 6pin connectors on your card because it needs those 2 connectors, if the card had a 8pin connector then you would add the extra 2 pins in it
  6. ubernoobie said:
    no, you use 2 6pin connectors on your card because it needs those 2 connectors, if the card had a 8pin connector then you would add the extra 2 pins in it

Okay so how do i get power to the other (SLI) card? i only have two 6 pin connectors...
  7. you need a 6 pin cable splitter
  8. obsidian86 said:
    you need a 6 pin cable splitter

So i need 24 in total?
  9. obsidian86 said:
    you need a 6 pin cable splitter

Don't mid the last message... I need 24 pins in total? 6x4?
  10. yes ,what you have is 2 6 pin pci connectors but what you want is 4 pci connectors you can use a splitter

11. jpfourie said:
    But i only have two 6 pin sockets on the card and not a 8 pin... do i plug the 2 pin in the other 6pin? sorry to ask this question but i never build or used sli before

No. That means you need two six pin connectors. Your power supply is not good enough.
  12. enzo matrix said:
    No. That means you need two six pin connectors. Your power supply is not good enough.

His power supply has been put to use running dual 260's, it's good enough.
  13. Didn't mention that.
    If he follows the link I provided, he can remedy that.
  14. delluser1 said:
    His power supply has been put to use running dual 260's, it's good enough.

I mean connectorwise.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies SLI Corsair PCI Express Components