Sign in with
Your question

Can't access My Documents with the 200g maxtor on usb

Last response: in Windows XP
November 9, 2012 2:23:59 PM

My old machine running windows homeXP (32) just died .. i replaced i the system with a Dell GX620....
Exverthing is working except that I can't access files in the my document folders? I am signed in as administrator on the Dell ( XP Pro).
Suggestions??
November 9, 2012 10:44:25 PM

You need to take ownership of the directory and files in it.

Right-click on the folder in question.
Choose 'Properties'
Choose the 'security' tab
Click on the 'Advanced' button
Choose the 'Owner' tab
Choose the new owner from the list
Click 'OK' all the way out

You should now be able to access the files.
m
l
November 10, 2012 4:46:27 PM

The "Security"tab doesn't appear in my version of XP PRO......I am still @ square one.
m
l
Related resources
November 10, 2012 4:48:12 PM

Only two situations where that tab doesn't appear:

1. Windows XP Home
2. Drive not formatted NTFS

m
l
November 11, 2012 12:40:44 AM

The old 200 gig Maxtor is running windows home. thanx
m
l
November 25, 2012 2:03:25 AM

toner11 said:
My old machine running windows homeXP (32) just died .. i replaced i the system with a Dell GX620....
Exverthing is working except that I can't access files in the my document folders? I am signed in as administrator on the Dell ( XP Pro).
Suggestions??

everyone thinks that a crash causes a break down that can't be fixed, that is WRONG it ur system asking for help, u ran it out of ram, then it when to virtual ram which it uses the HDD for memory, when that ram out BAM POW DSOD because of to manet thing running at the same time like programs loading at start-up u don't know that it taking up 50% of ur ram so when u play video's music go on the web have muti tabs open it uses up all the ram fast, so u back in in safe mode & do a disk clean-up & a defrag & error check chkdsk/r, u may need a registry defrager CCleaner is free & does a good cleaning out all the junk & cache's
m
l
!