Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading a computer...or to buy?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 30, 2010 4:17:48 AM

Hey,

I am given the option of buying PC off of a friend of mine. I am looking to play Star Trek online with the computer since a bunch of my friends are playing it. I'm going to post the min and rec. specs for the game after I list what I can find. I'm not exactly the most computer literate when it comes to actually building and upgrading so, I could really use the help. Would it be worth it, how much do you think the estimated cost is? I'm not opposed to buying used whatsoever.

If there's anything else you need to know, just let me know please. I'll be checking the site a bunch to see if there are any replies. And while I'm new to doing anything dealing witht he actual components of PCs, I'll do what I can.
Thanks.

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200).
GeForce FX 5500 video card.
1 gig of RAM
The motherboard is...I'm not real sure what you'd need for this, so I'll post a few.
Motherboard Name ECS 945P-A
RAM Slots 4 DDR2 DIMM
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 LGA775
Motherboard Chipset i945P

And now for the specs needed

The minimum system requirements are:

* OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+
* Memory: 1GB RAM
* Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
* Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
* DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
* HDD: 10GB Free Disk Space
* Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
* Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

The recommended system specifications are:

* OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
* CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2 5600+
* Memory: 2GB RAM+
* Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 3850+
* Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
* DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
* HDD: 10GB Free Disk Space
* Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
* Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

More about : upgrading computer buy

a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2010 4:42:37 AM

Don't even bother thinking about purchasing your friends system.. It is too old to even run windows 7 properly.. You definitely should build a new system..
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2010 7:52:03 AM

Your friend's PC is too old to be worth considering.

Buy a new system. It will cost less than upgrading your friend's PC.
m
l
Related resources
October 30, 2010 11:29:19 AM

Alright, thanks. What would the two of you recommend then? I know there are guides online of how to put a computer together and if I'm careful I can do it easily enough, but what would you choose to build with? I don't need the finest machine going by anymeans, especially with christmas around the corner. I can look to upgrade later on if possible. I'm hoping to keep it below 600 if possible. You guys have already been a great help.
m
l
October 30, 2010 12:33:14 PM

I'm sorry. Definitely dollars. And once I get home from work and I can look at the computer, I'll fill that in. Thanks
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2010 12:37:34 PM

For a 600$ budget, you can consider the following components for your new build -

CPU - AMD Athlon II X4 640
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H

RAM - Corsair XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

PSU - Corsair VX 550W

Case - Antec Three Hundred Illusion

Hard Drive - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

ODD - Sony Optiarc AD-7260S

The onboard video chipset on the motherboard is pretty good to keep you hooked up till christmas..
m
l
November 6, 2010 5:38:59 AM

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I get that that motherboard has an integrated graphics to it, right? But, when I go to upgrade it, would I have to change out the motherboard, or are there decent cards that fit onto that motherboard? Thanks again.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2010 6:00:47 AM

The motherboard features a pci express x16 slot (2 in fact).. So it has provision to support any video card available (provided your PSU has enough juice to power it).. You would just need to disable the onboard video chipset before using any dedicated video card..
m
l
November 6, 2010 3:11:32 PM

I have just one more thing, I was calling about seeing getting an OS put on the computer once I built it. I got ahold of a guy in Wilmington that runs a shop, I was talking to him and he said the place he worked at built computers for this type of gaming. So tonight, either way, I'm going to buy whichever you recommend. He gave me another option, one that they would build in the store. So, Vs the newegg items, which is the better option?

The mainboard. MSI k9n6pgm2-v2 Model # ms-7309
Processor- AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad core
4 GB of DDR2 memory 6400 800Ghz
1 terrabyte SATA2 7200 RPM hard drive
256mb Geforce6150 SE onboard graphics
22x DVDRW
475 watt power supply with case with 6 USB ports
Windows 7 home premium

Assembled and tested with 1 year parts and labor warranty

Price- $599 = tax

The one on newegg, I'd have to find someone in Wilmington to load the OS onto it ontop of the 550-640 after warranties and shipping.

From just looking at it myself, it looks like the one he'd build is a lesser option, but he was trying to tell me the processor was much quicker and his build would be better running for Star Trek. I just got out of work and haven't had the time to research it. I figured you would be able to just look at it and instantly tell me if it was any good. Thanks again.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2010 3:54:05 PM

What else do you expect from a sales guy.! They always have the best deal for your money (according to them of course).. Anyway, don't even bother giving that build (the one put up by the sales guy) a second thought.. Opt for setting up the system yourself.. Its easy and we all are here to help in any case..
m
l
November 6, 2010 4:13:51 PM

Oh believe me, I knew he was feeding me line haha. But I figured I'd at least entertain the notion. Thanks again!
m
l
November 6, 2010 4:34:13 PM

I was just given an Intel core 2 duo 2.13 ghz chip. I wasn't sure if this would mesh with the other pieces form newegg you put on here before, but from what I've seen so far it looks like its on par with the Athlon if not better?
m
l
November 6, 2010 4:39:14 PM

intel core 2 duo 2.13 ghz 6420
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2010 6:53:55 PM

james_23 said:
intel core 2 duo 2.13 ghz 6420

It surely does comply to the minimum system requirements of the game as posted by you initially.. However, its not comparative to the Athlon II X4 620 which is an overall better processor.. Moreover, the X4 620 falls under the recommended system requirements.. I guess you can deduce it from here..
m
l
November 6, 2010 9:33:02 PM

Alright, thanks. I just put in the order at newegg. Now we'll see how well the build goes. Thanks again!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2010 1:49:48 AM

Am sure it'll work out very well.. All the very best..
m
l
!