Accessing BIOS on XP Home Version

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 26, 2004 8:32:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

How do you access the BIOS setup menu with XP? I tried hitting delete
during boot, but this doesn't work with. Tried all the usual function keys,
etc.

Thanks, fellers!

Fred
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 8:32:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

What king of motherboard do you have? If Del key does not work, try F2.
Intel boards are set up like that.

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> How do you access the BIOS setup menu with XP? I tried hitting delete
> during boot, but this doesn't work with. Tried all the usual function
> keys,
> etc.
>
> Thanks, fellers!
>
> Fred

August 26, 2004 8:46:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

No idea - nothing in the manual on BIOS or hardware descriptions. I'll try
contacting the factory.... I mean importer.

"Service Pack" <sp2@yahoooooo2.com> wrote in message
news:o c%23Axq4iEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> What king of motherboard do you have? If Del key does not work, try F2.
> Intel boards are set up like that.
>
> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > How do you access the BIOS setup menu with XP? I tried hitting delete
> > during boot, but this doesn't work with. Tried all the usual function
> > keys,
> > etc.
> >
> > Thanks, fellers!
> >
> > Fred

a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 8:46:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Fred--

No need to contact the factory/importer for this. You can do it in
seconds. When you see the Firmware Screen or what is called the Post Screen
before you see the Windows Splash Screen it will say at the top or bottom of
the screen what key to tap. If you can't see that screen for reasons I
can't fathom, then...

Just download the Belarc Advisor, and it'll tell you who the Bios
Manufacturer is and you can go to their site or site below.and you won't be
on hold for a year and a day waiting for 55 operators to patch you through
to 55 people who will patch you through to 55 other people. Tech Support is
pretty much the world's largest oxymoron.

If you don't have that screen or a manual, and don't know, you can use this
to find out who makes the bios--hit the red download hyperlink:

After you download this, clicking the icon will give you a listing of your
hardware and software and you'll know the bios maker. Then you can use one
of these to find out what key to tap when you turn on your computer. See if
pressing the button will give you the firmware screen or start any screen at
all and tap the key these advise to use:

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/bios_update_sites.htm

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_b.htm

Best,

Chad Harris
____________________________________

No idea - nothing in the manual on BIOS or hardware descriptions. I'll try
contacting the factory.... I mean importer.

"Service Pack" <sp2@yahoooooo2.com> wrote in message
news:o c%23Axq4iEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> What king of motherboard do you have? If Del key does not work, try F2.
> Intel boards are set up like that.
>
> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > How do you access the BIOS setup menu with XP? I tried hitting delete
> > during boot, but this doesn't work with. Tried all the usual function
> > keys,
> > etc.
> >
> > Thanks, fellers!
> >
> > Fred

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 9:03:18 PM

Fred wrote:

> How do you access the BIOS setup menu with XP? I tried hitting delete
> during boot, but this doesn't work with. Tried all the usual function keys,
> etc.

I'm not trying to be an ass, Fred, but all your questions, this morning,
are brand and model specific, not OS.

WHAT BRAND? WHAT MODEL?

Notan
August 26, 2004 10:22:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Nothing to do with XP. Watch the screen when booting for a message to press
a key or combination of keys to enter Setup. Mine is the Del key, many
Compaq's are F10. Check m/b manual if you have it, it will tell you there
as well.

--

Kenny

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> How do you access the BIOS setup menu with XP? I tried hitting delete
> during boot, but this doesn't work with. Tried all the usual function
keys,
> etc.
>
> Thanks, fellers!
>
> Fred

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 10:32:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote:

>How do you access the BIOS setup menu with XP? I tried hitting delete
>during boot, but this doesn't work with. Tried all the usual function keys,
>etc.

Read the manual for the computer. This has nothing to do with the
Operating System but is completely hardware-related.

--
(tm)
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Greetings --

The operating system is immaterial. Only you know what
motherboard and BIOS you have, so only you know the answer to your
question. ;-}

In the extremely unlikely event that your PC's manual or the
motherboard manufacturer's web site doesn't contain the needed
information, try one or more of the following:

How do I access my computer's setup (BIOS)
http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/2157.html

Wim's BIOS Page
http://www.wimsbios.com/

Accessing Motherboard BIOS
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> How do you access the BIOS setup menu with XP? I tried hitting
> delete
> during boot, but this doesn't work with. Tried all the usual
> function keys,
> etc.
>
> Thanks, fellers!
>
> Fred

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 12:04:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Actually, it is the BIOS manufacturer that determines what key is
pressed. I have seen all of these: DEL, F1, F2, F8, F12, and even ESC.

To access the BIOS, these buttons must be pressed right after powering
on the computer. It does not work when Windows is loading or anything
like that. Also, there should be a message that comes up and tells you
what button to press to enter setup.

----
Nathan McNulty

Service Pack wrote:
> What king of motherboard do you have? If Del key does not work, try F2.
> Intel boards are set up like that.
>
> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
>
>>How do you access the BIOS setup menu with XP? I tried hitting delete
>>during boot, but this doesn't work with. Tried all the usual function
>>keys,
>>etc.
>>
>>Thanks, fellers!
>>
>>Fred

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 12:07:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Also, just a note that I didn't see mentioned. There are only a few
select motherboards that offer the ability to change BIOS settings from
within Windows. You most likely do not have one of these motherboards
and even if you do, I would not recommend you play around with it. :)

----
Nathan McNulty

Fred wrote:
> How do you access the BIOS setup menu with XP? I tried hitting delete
> during boot, but this doesn't work with. Tried all the usual function keys,
> etc.
>
> Thanks, fellers!
>
> Fred

August 27, 2004 7:24:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks, Chad. You're right - I was waiting too long. Hitting delete at the
pre-Windows spalsh screen, just after booting got me in.

"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Fred--
>
> No need to contact the factory/importer for this. You can do it in
> seconds. When you see the Firmware Screen or what is called the Post
Screen
> before you see the Windows Splash Screen it will say at the top or bottom
of
> the screen what key to tap. If you can't see that screen for reasons I
> can't fathom, then...
>
> Just download the Belarc Advisor, and it'll tell you who the Bios
> Manufacturer is and you can go to their site or site below.and you won't
be
> on hold for a year and a day waiting for 55 operators to patch you through
> to 55 people who will patch you through to 55 other people. Tech Support
is
> pretty much the world's largest oxymoron.
>
> If you don't have that screen or a manual, and don't know, you can use
this
> to find out who makes the bios--hit the red download hyperlink:
>
> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
>
> After you download this, clicking the icon will give you a listing of your
> hardware and software and you'll know the bios maker. Then you can use
one
> of these to find out what key to tap when you turn on your computer. See
if
> pressing the button will give you the firmware screen or start any screen
at
> all and tap the key these advise to use:
>
> http://www.usbman.com/Guides/bios_update_sites.htm
>
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_b.htm
>
> Best,
>
> Chad Harris
> ____________________________________
>

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> No idea - nothing in the manual on BIOS or hardware descriptions. I'll
try
> contacting the factory.... I mean importer.
>
> "Service Pack" <sp2@yahoooooo2.com> wrote in message
> news:o c%23Axq4iEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > What king of motherboard do you have? If Del key does not work, try F2.
> > Intel boards are set up like that.
> >
> > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > > How do you access the BIOS setup menu with XP? I tried hitting delete
> > > during boot, but this doesn't work with. Tried all the usual function
> > > keys,
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > Thanks, fellers!
> > >
> > > Fred

August 27, 2004 7:24:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks, Nolan, but all my questions were actually software-related - not
hardware. And now all are fixed, thanks to the others who helped out.

> Fred wrote:
> >
> > How do you access the BIOS setup menu with XP? I tried hitting delete
> > during boot, but this doesn't work with. Tried all the usual function
keys,
> > etc.
>
> I'm not trying to be an ass, Fred, but all your questions, this morning,
> are brand and model specific, not OS.
>
> WHAT BRAND? WHAT MODEL?
>
> Notan
August 27, 2004 7:35:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks Bruce. No, none of the documentation that came with the computer had
anything on the BIOS, etc., like most other computers I've had usually have.
But I got thru to tech support, though, and they worked me thru it pretty
quick. (Calif tech support -- not India.)

news:o 2xcWm9iEHA.636@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Greetings --
>
> The operating system is immaterial. Only you know what
> motherboard and BIOS you have, so only you know the answer to your
> question. ;-}
>
> In the extremely unlikely event that your PC's manual or the
> motherboard manufacturer's web site doesn't contain the needed
> information, try one or more of the following:
>
> How do I access my computer's setup (BIOS)
> http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/2157.html
>
> Wim's BIOS Page
> http://www.wimsbios.com/
>
> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
>

> Bruce Chambers
> --
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having both at once. - RAH
>

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > How do you access the BIOS setup menu with XP? I tried hitting
> > delete
> > during boot, but this doesn't work with. Tried all the usual
> > function keys,
> > etc.
> >
> > Thanks, fellers!
> >
> > Fred

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 8:43:59 AM

First, accessing the BIOS, on any machine, occurs before the OS is even
loaded, and is therefore completely independent of the operating system.

However, it's very much hardware dependent, so we need to know the make
and model of the laptop. Common keys include Delete, F1, F2, F10 and
F12, as well as multi-key combinations. On Toshiba models, hold down
the escape key while starting the machine, and keep holding it until the
message appears.

!