How much power does OC consume?

mrkilo

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Hey guys,

First time overclocker here. I only have a 750W power supply so let me know if I need a bigger one to overclock.

intel i-7 3770k with hyper evo heatsink
intel dz77re-75k extreme mobo
intel patriot 16gb memory
nvidia geforce gtx 680 2gb
samsung 120gb ssd
wd 1tb black hd
optical drive
coolermaster haf 932 advanced

cpu gfx and ram are stock no OC yet. how many W does the average overclocker use? I think Im pretty close to 700W already so I don't know if I have much to spare. Thanks

mrkilo

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
overclocked CPU from 3.9 to 4.2 GHz
overclocked memory from 1600 to 2300
overclocked graphics from 1.125 to 1.6 or something
saved changes and upon firing up, system crashed
went to load windows and windows will not load properly

I think I got the "blue screen of death"

WTF. What did I do wrong?

mrkilo

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Yeah this EzioAs dude doesn't know what he's talking about. What an idiot.

Had to do a critical system repair on Windows thankfully it booted me to a restore point for a few hours ago this morning. I think I'll chill out on the OC'ing until I can get advice from an expert.

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
If you are concerned about the PSU you have and its ability to handle overclocking, I have to be honest and tell you that it most likely is hindering the ability to reach what would otherwise be your maximum potential. However, it isn't a matter of raw output being too low. It's an issue with providing your components with clean, stable voltage. You can get a summary of what I mean here: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-GX-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/917/10. You could go back a couple pages in the review to see the noise and ripple test results. Compare that to a unit like those sold by Seasonic and you'll see the difference in the graphs is night and day.

Nothing worries me more than seeing a very nice system like yours, then seeing that it's being trusted to a power supply that legitimately poses the risk of killing any or all of the vital components.

mrkilo

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Thanks for the intelligence, OCMUSICJUNKIE.

I guess thats what I get for running to the store to get a PSU when I realized that the one my buddy gave me was missing key cables.

If your certain this is a PSU issue, what new piece of hardware would you recommend?

Sooth1

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010

This post sounds like a joke. The CPU overclock is the only reasonable one. Of course your system will crash if you try to run DDR3 1600 at 2300.
And I'm not sure what you mean or did by "overclocked graphics from 1.125 to 1.6 or something"

How could you expect things to work when you overclock that high on your ram and video card? Most 680's don't overclock more than 1300MHz max... You set yours to 1600Mhz right from the start? And taking ram from 1600 to 2300? I'm sorry sir but you are the as you put it "idiot".