Want to overclock 3570k, no idea how?

Ed Hunter

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I just built a pc for myself - Z77 D3h, 3570k, hyper 212 evo win 7 64. I would like to overclock my cpu and get more performance out of my pc but how no idea how (new to all this and have no experience). I want a steady overclock not too high around 4-4.3ghz. Step by step instructions will be have helpful as I only know a few baisics and have many questions:
Can overclocking at these levels damage my cpu (what is the average lifespan of a cpu at 4.3ish)
Do i need to download anything?
Do I need to update my bios if so how?
I accidently touched the cpu (silver bit) with finger and diddnt think to clean it off will that make a difference?
What are acceptable tempretures that will not damage cpu at idle and load?
Help will really be appriciated!! :) thx

Can overclocking at these levels damage my cpu
Only if you are not careful and don't check what temps you are running

(what is the average lifespan of a cpu at 4.3ish)
No one can tell you this as they have not been around long enough to start failing
Do i need to download anything?
Some stress testing and temp monitoring software ie HWMonitor for temps and intel burn test for stress testing
Do I need to update my bios if so how?
No
I accidently touched the cpu (silver bit) with finger and diddnt think to clean it off will that make a difference?
It may increase temps but not likely alot unless you had very greasy fingers
What are acceptable tempretures that will not damage cpu at idle and load?
Stay under 70C in Intel burn test and you are fine. Idle will be alot lower so don't worry about it.

Ed Hunter

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

I havent even touched the bios yet so all settings are at default what settings do I change? Should I just put the multiplier up to 40 and go from there?

Download prime95 or OCCT (I like this one) for stress testing.

Yes, just change the multiplier to 40 and stress it for a while (I don't have the patience for longer than about 15 minutes). If it's stable and the temps don't go too high (I wasn't comfortable above 60C but it can go quite a bit higher), change the multiplier to 41 and repeat. Do this until you get what you want. If you get a BSOD, go into the bios on reboot and back it down one notch.