Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel or AMD? Next Build... Need help!

Last response: in Systems
March 7, 2010 3:18:53 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1-2 weeks

BUDGET: Around 800-900 after all rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (WoW,CS, WC3, etc), Encoding, Converting, Internet surfing, etc...

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: ncix.com, ebay.ca

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD Phenom II 965 or Intel i7 920, Gigabyte or ASUS motherboards

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I need a computer that will last at least 2-3 years. I want USB 3.0 and SATA 3 and HDMI

I got a E8400@3.0GHz, 4GB DDR2, 1TB, GeForce 8800GT 512MB, 400watts PSU, normal case...

Thank you!

More about : intel amd build

March 7, 2010 4:21:00 AM

What exactly do you wish to know (learn) ??

I do not see a question and it looks as if you have everything picked out ...

= scratch-scratch =
m
l
March 7, 2010 9:09:03 PM

Hi. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I want to build a new pc for gaming, internet, enconding, converting, downloading stuff, etc...

I would like to pay around 800-900CAD after rebates taxes shipping etc...

I already got the i7 920 for 220CAD.

I need the rest.

Motherboard, I prefer ASUS or Gigabtye with Sata 3 and USB 3.0 (can someone explain dual gigabit lan...)

Graphic card, I need something with HDMI, and something that I could play games like WoW, CS, WC3, COD, Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2 when they come out.

Casing, I like Antec casing or Coolmaster or something look nice, nothing too big...

Hard Drive, I need something just for OS, I already got a data 1TB hard drive

PSU, I need something that can handle all the stuff that I need and a bit more, if I want to crossfire or sli, or overclock....

RAM, 6GB in Triple Channel is good enough...

Normal DVD burner Sata

I already got the OS, mouse, keyboard, speakers, screen, only need the pc...

I need suggestion with what part to buy like the brand and the model for my needs...

Thank you.
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2010 9:42:06 PM

Define "Gigabit Ethernet":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabit_Ethernet

My own explanation is that Gbit Ethernet was designed for corporate teleconferencing and distribution of training videos, etc. It provides for full HD two way (at least).

Advantages of Dual ports: With dual port Ethernet, you can chain computers in a peer-to-peer network (closed LAN) WITHOUT the use of any external routing or switching hardware !!

I like it for my studio and I try hard to get dual port mobos for that reason ... BUT ... one can always add a PCI or PCIe card and get extra ports (like, really cheap).

So, I can hook my modem up to my ATOM home media/storage/print server and use the 2nd port to chain to my office rig (typing on it, now) and use THAT 2nd port to chain to my audio/video studio edit rig. All with no wireless or external (extra) gear.

NOTICE!/WARNING! : When you CHAIN ethernet devices you MUST use a special "twisted" cable that swaps pins 2 & 3 or "twists" them ... You DO NOT want to use or plug a "regular" (CAT5/CAT6) cable between two DTE(Data Terminal Equipment) devices (terminals/thin-clients-or computers) ... These specially twisted "crossover" cables should ONLY be used between two computers (servers, etc.) and NEVER between a MODEM and a PC or a Router and a PC.

... DAMAGE MAY (prolly will) RESULT ! ...

Modems and Routers are called DCE (Data Communications Equipment) and, when running from a DCE to DTE device (normal topolgy - normal CAT5/RG45 cable) then one uses a "STRAIGHT THROUGH" cable ...

... MARK/LABEL YOUR CABLES CAREFULLY AND PERMANENTLY !! >>>

... Most crossover cables (when labelled) have a small plastic sleeve-tag with an "X" or "XO" stamped on them.

Using Dual ports with a direct connect is not only cheap ... it is EXTRA FAST because of protocols which recognize this "hard-wired" optimal data-path (no contention). I forget the term, at the moment but there is a two-word term for it.

Anyway, accessing an external or peer's hard drive, through such a dedicated connection is preddy darned quick and, for most apps, it will be as if the drive is local, mostly.

This really helps in using an ATOM home media server as a backup or share device and in transferring huge media files between my audio multitrak workstation and my video edit console, for instance.

= Grok ? =
m
l
March 7, 2010 9:50:48 PM

Just as a side note ... I am almost certain that if one hooks up BOTH ports, between (only) TWO peer PCs (using crossovers) that the bandwidth can be combined or, at least, different "sessions" can use different ports ...

One other side note ... Did you know that ANY firewire cable can behooked between two computers and Windows will recognize that as a network connection? One can also do said with a USB connection but THIS ALSO requires SPECIAL CABLES and trying to do a PC-PC USB connection, with a normal USB cable *WILL* blow at least one port and prolly fry at least one of the mobos so, DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER USB, FOR THIS PURPOSE.

I *DO* wonder if it would be possible to combine and/or concurrently utilize multiple FireWire-800 connections (which automatically form a net-connect, when strung between two PCs.

Curious and interesting stuff ... Great Question !!!

= Alvin =
m
l
March 7, 2010 10:04:18 PM

Quote:
Alvin, I believe you're suffering from a disorder that prevents you from staying on topic. The OP asked for parts to complement his i7 920.

TPHO2500,

Excuse me "Clyde" (DipWad),

I believe *YOU* are suffering from a disorder which combines Turrets with ADHD, hence causing you to shoot-off your mouth without reading or paying attention to the thread.

I believe, (yes), in the OPs second post, the question was (quite specifically) asked ... and I DO quote ...

" Motherboard, I prefer ASUS or Gigabtye with Sata 3 and USB 3.0 (can someone explain dual gigabit lan...) "

*** End Quote ***

You may apologize any time you like .... tap, tap, tap . . .

= Al =

m
l

Best solution

March 7, 2010 11:29:38 PM

If you already have an i7 920, it makes sense to use it. If your budget doesn't include the money you already spent on it then this is what I would suggest.
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R $235

Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1600C9 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 $195, $173 after MIR

XFX Radeon HD 5770 $180

Antec Three Hundred $58

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB $55

If you're going to overclock: Coolermaster Hyper 212 $30

If you envisage changing to a more powerful graphics card when you can afford it, I think it would be better and cheaper to get a power supply now that is capable of supporting that change.
To crossfire 5850s: XFX 650W ATX12V 2.2 / ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC $140, $110 after MIR
OR to crossfire 5870s: Corsair TX750W $115, $105 after MIR
For powering only one 5800 series card or crossfiring 5700 series.
Antec Earthwatts Green 500W 80 Plus Bronze $80
OR
OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W $70, $50 after MIR

Samsung SH-S223C 22X DVD Writer SATA Black OEM $30

Total: $925 (most expensive option), $813 (least expensive).

Many people claim that the 5770 is weak at 1680x1050 resolution. If look at benchmarks and you agree with this, then without completely overhauling this build, you would probably have to get the cheapest good quality 600W PSU that you could, and try and find a 4890, as long as it's around $260. Otherwise you'd probably have to do an AMD build and try and get a 5850.
March 15, 2010 11:47:38 PM

Wow, you guys have great replies. Thank you so much for everyone.

I have to agree that Gigabyte X58A-UD3R $235 is the best mobo I can get with sata3 and usb 3.0.

For the dual gigabit port, now I get it. In my case, I don't think this would be usefull but if I have it, maybe I'll use it one day... thank you so much for all the details!

For the RAM, Corsair XMS3 is a very good idea but I would like to get red looking RAM for matching with a Red case. I would like to know if G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 are any good? $170

What is the 9-9-9-24 means? Lower is better?

I was think about that case...

Azza Helios 910R Black ATX Mid Tower Case $72 after MIR

or maybe

Azza Orion 202 Black ATX Mid Tower Case $39 after MIR

The hard drive is good enough for me.
The Coolermaster Hyper 212 only for $30, I'll get it for sure!
The Samsung SH-S223C 22X DVD Writer SATA Black OEM $30 is good enough. It's on sale at $20.

For the PSU, I was think of OCZ FATAL1TY 700W 80PLUS $85

What do you think? I could probabily put one 57xx or 58xx for now and then got the crossfire ready when I get more money.
What is better between a 48xx serie and 57xx and 58xx. The best bang for the buck without crossfire..

Total would be $834 with the $39 case and considering a $200 video card or $867 with the $72 case.

My budget was including the money that I already spent on the i7 but I think it's impossible if I want all that. I have to cut somewhere, maybe on the graphic card or the mobo. Should I wait more while the price of mobo that has USB 3.0 and SATA 3 get cheaper.

I had another idea in mind.

I got a ASUS P5K with a E8400@3.0GHz.

I got a basic 400 watt PSU and stock heatsink from intel.

Should I get the OCZ FATAL1TY 700W 80PLUS with a Coolermaster Hyper 212 and overclock what I have right one and wait 1 more year until Starcraft2 and Diablo3 and other nice game like this.

I got 4GB of RAM, 1TB HDD and a 8800GT 512MB.

Let me know all your honest opinions. By the way, English is not my first language so excuse for all my syntax errors.

Thank you!
m
l
March 16, 2010 12:25:12 AM

Yea those numbers refer to the CAS Latency or timings, and it is usually better to have those numbers be as low as possible, 7s are usually as low as you can get on DDR3 RAM. Personally I think that the performance difference between CAS 7 and CAS 9 RAM can hardly be shown in benchmarks, so you're not going to notice it in actual usage and you can always have a go at lowering the timings yourself. Another good thing about those sticks, is the low voltage, so you'd have some overclocking headroom with those.

I don't know much about either of those cases, as long as they fit the graphics card you are thinking about getting then either of them should be fine.

Yea that is a good PSU and will be fine for crossfiring 5850s or trifiring 5770s imo.

Quote:
Should I get the OCZ FATAL1TY 700W 80PLUS with a Coolermaster Hyper 212 and overclock what I have right one and wait 1 more year until Starcraft2 and Diablo3 and other nice game like this.

Interesting idea. Perhaps if you keep your current CPU, Mobo and RAM, then you could afford to buy really highend components that you would be able to take to your build next year if you decide to do that; such as case, PSU, graphics card. But then by year there might be a whole raft of new components that you would want to get. I also think that if you are going to build next year, that you should sell the i7 920 you have, as I think you are likely to get more for it now than in a year. In case at that point you decide it is better to go with whatever CPU/Mobo/RAM platform is available then.

Quote:
What do you think? I could probabily put one 57xx or 58xx for now and then got the crossfire ready when I get more money.
What is better between a 48xx serie and 57xx and 58xx. The best bang for the buck without crossfire.

The 48xx series usually achieves higher framerates in current games than the 57xx series, however all 5000 series cards use less power for relative performance. They also have features such as DX11 and HD audio bitstreaming natively and three monitor support. If you can get a 5850 or above then there's no contest, however if you can't then it's more subjective.
m
l
March 22, 2010 3:02:12 AM

Best answer selected by r_manic.
m
l
!