overheat

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Hi, i have some questions about overclocking this CPU, i realise that there are many good guides out there and i have read several of them, including the sticky on this board, but i need verification, if i want to OC this cpu slightly, all i need to do is raise the multiplier and follow it with CPU voltage increase for stability right? I can leave all other voltages and frequencies on auto and not worry about them if i dont intend to OC aggressively? I have RAM set to its specifications though.

I already tried to unlock the CPU but it didnt even POST.

And what is the CPU Vcore limit to stay on the safe side? I do monitor temps and have Corator DS as my cooler, 35C socket temp on idle.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
1.55v vcore max, but temps will probably keep you from even reaching this high of a voltage.

Try to stay below 55C core temp on load.

Overclocking the northbridge will give you a nice boost in performance as well. Overclock the cpu alone first then work on the northbridge.

You are correct with multiplier first then voltage if needed. C1E and cool and quiet should be disabled. Also disable LLC for now unless you know how to properly use it.

How high of an overclock are you aiming for?

overheat

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Thanks for your answer, i have 3.7Ghz with 18.5 multi, it can run 2 hours of prime small FFTs without any problems but BSODS in blend within 30 minutes, i lowered RAM from 1600 to 1333 which made it last longer but it still BSOD. What can i do to stabilise? All RAM settings are on auto except voltage which is to spec 1.65v. Temps are 50c under full load on CPU socket.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
What are the core temps at?

Raising the N/B clock can sometimes aid in stability, go for about 2600Mhz-2700Mhz. Don't exceed 1.3v on the cpu-NB and do not raise the NB voltage at all! Raising the Northbridge is also gonna up the heat output so be prepared for that (same heat restrictions still apply).

If the northbridge oc'ing doesn't help you might have to add a little more voltage to the vcore. This can be a long trail and error process, so just be patient and don't expect results on the very first attempt.

overheat

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Bumping the Vcore solved the issue. Thanks, i feel silly now.

One final question, my core temp is 10C lower than socket and it seems unreliable, as on idle its only 2c above ambient room temperature which seems impossible with my setup, should i just rely on the socket temp to be safe?

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
"One final question, my core temp is 10C lower than socket and it seems unreliable, as on idle its only 2c above ambient room temperature which seems impossible with my setup, should i just rely on the socket temp to be safe? "

That is what I would do in this situation. Sometimes the sensors are inaccurate.

Be sure to post in the AMD overclocking club (found in my sig). If this thread is all solved now selecting a best answer is always appreciated.