24+8 pin connector???? what?

opexx

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
I don't know much about power supplies, but I know enough to know that I've never seen this....

From what I've caught onto over the years is that most power supplies connect to the mobo 2 ways, 1 through a 24 pin connection, and another (near the cpu) 4 pin connector. The mobo I'm looking at appears to have a that 24 pin connection, but near the cpu it looks like an 8 pin connection????

http://www.evga.com/PRODUCTS/IMAGES/GALLERY/122-YW-E173-RX_XL_1.jpg

Would I have to buy a new power supply for that? Or could I just plug my current 4 pin connection into the center of that or what? I'm really confused...

Solution
the 8pin is still your cpu plug, what you recognise as the older 4pin but most modern cpu's require more power so it changed to 8pin a while back, I have an 8pin socket but only have a 4pin plug, you can just use 4 pins no problem, it should fit into the lowermost 4 pins of the socket, not the middle, but the plug should be formfit so will only go into the right place however if you're aiming for big overclocks, get a 8pin psu to help supply the juice :)
and the 20+4pin is same as ever although no boards I've seen use just 20 pins anymore
hope this helps,
Moto
the 8pin is still your cpu plug, what you recognise as the older 4pin but most modern cpu's require more power so it changed to 8pin a while back, I have an 8pin socket but only have a 4pin plug, you can just use 4 pins no problem, it should fit into the lowermost 4 pins of the socket, not the middle, but the plug should be formfit so will only go into the right place however if you're aiming for big overclocks, get a 8pin psu to help supply the juice :)
and the 20+4pin is same as ever although no boards I've seen use just 20 pins anymore
hope this helps,
Moto

Solution