Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Core Voltage Wont Change

Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2013 3:18:04 PM

I change my cpu voltage in bois but when i look at it in cpu-z its still at 1.225

CPU: AMD A10 5800k @ 4.1GHz Overclock
GPU: Radeon HD 7660D @ 800MHz
RAM: 8GB ddr3 @ 1866MHz
Mobo: MSI Socket FM2/AMD A75/DDR3/SATA3&USB3.0/A&GbE/MicroATX Motherboard FM2-A75MA-E35

More about : core voltage wont change

January 3, 2013 7:03:23 PM

It's probably at 1.225v because it either needs that voltage or doesn't need extra.
If you want to have a stable Vcore voltage, try using the fixed voltage setting. Feel free to ask questions. Hope this helped. :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2013 8:33:53 PM

In my bios, it says 1.425 thats where i want it, but cpuz reports 1.225 no matter what i change it to in bios. these are the temps i get from different software's;

Cpu-z 1.225
Core Temp - 1.225
Amd OverDrive - 1.3875
OCCT - 0.96
Bios - 1.425
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2013 10:34:22 PM

Are you getting a stable overclock?
ifreestylin said:
In my bios, it says 1.425 thats where i want it, but cpuz reports 1.225 no matter what i change it to in bios. these are the temps i get from different software's;

Cpu-z 1.225
Core Temp - 1.225
Amd OverDrive - 1.3875
OCCT - 0.96
Bios - 1.425

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 12:13:19 AM

asalikus said:
Are you getting a stable overclock?

Yeah ran OCCT stress test for 3 hours and play DayZ for a while and it seems ok.
m
l
January 4, 2013 12:48:24 AM

Try some other software to measure the Vcore. You don't want high Vcore.
ifreestylin said:
Yeah ran OCCT stress test for 3 hours and play DayZ for a while and it seems ok.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 12:54:47 AM

asalikus said:
Try some other software to measure the Vcore. You don't want high Vcore.

Can you give me some suggestions?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 1:07:52 AM

Are power saving features such as c1e and cool n quiet disabled?

Is windows power management set to performance and under advanced is the cpu set to 100% at min and max?

Are you changing the vcore or something else?

Are you using manaual or offset voltage?

Just a few things to answer with this info I'll be able to assist you more.
m
l
January 4, 2013 1:27:01 AM

Do you have a software that came with your motherboard?
ifreestylin said:
Can you give me some suggestions?

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 2:30:03 AM

asalikus said:
Do you have a software that came with your motherboard?

Yeah a driver and utility Disk
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 1:34:49 PM

mlcaouette said:
Are power saving features such as c1e and cool n quiet disabled?

Is windows power management set to performance and under advanced is the cpu set to 100% at min and max?

Are you changing the vcore or something else?

Are you using manaual or offset voltage?

Just a few things to answer with this info I'll be able to assist you more.

Yeah i have those disabled and its set to performance.
I used the cpu voltage in bios
And what is manual or offset voltage?
m
l
January 4, 2013 4:54:34 PM

I have a Asrock Extreme 4 z77 and it came came with a disk that has the software "ASrock eXtreme Tuner" on it. Can you see any kind of utility that has something like tuner, voltage or tweaker it's name?
ifreestylin said:
Yeah a driver and utility Disk

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 5:13:31 PM

asalikus said:
I have a Asrock Extreme 4 z77 and it came came with a disk that has the software "ASrock eXtreme Tuner" on it. Can you see any kind of utility that has something like tuner, voltage or tweaker it's name?

I see a control center, which display voltages but its says its at 1.58 and in bios its at 1.475 :( 
m
l
January 4, 2013 5:25:09 PM

Does CPU-ID show the similar Vcore as the control center or is it more similar to the Vcore on the BIOS?
ifreestylin said:
I see a control center, which display voltages but its says its at 1.58 and in bios its at 1.475 :( 

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 6:28:26 PM

manual voltage is where you input the voltage manually say 1.50v

offset is when you add or subtract an amount of voltage from the chips base voltage level.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 8:02:26 PM

mlcaouette said:
manual voltage is where you input the voltage manually say 1.50v

offset is when you add or subtract an amount of voltage from the chips base voltage level.

I think its offset cause i cant enter it manually and all the voltages are like preset
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 9:40:03 PM

Curious can you change to manual voltage?

What kind of motherboard do you have so I can pull up the manual and see what options you have available.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 5, 2013 1:21:50 AM

mlcaouette said:
Curious can you change to manual voltage?

What kind of motherboard do you have so I can pull up the manual and see what options you have available.

MSI FM2-A75MA-E35
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 5, 2013 2:29:46 AM

Well the manual isn't much help since it didn't go into to any detail on any of the voltage adjustments.

Can you provide screenshots of both the bios voltage setting and one within windows with cpu-z open? Use photobucket or some other site to upload the images.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 5, 2013 6:10:17 PM

mlcaouette said:
Well the manual isn't much help since it didn't go into to any detail on any of the voltage adjustments.

Can you provide screenshots of both the bios voltage setting and one within windows with cpu-z open? Use photobucket or some other site to upload the images.

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

There they are and this my first time uploading pics to a forum so it may not be good
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 5, 2013 9:57:56 PM

Ok I think I figured out what the problem is. CPU-z is reporting the cpu vid instead of the core voltage. Here is a thread describing someone who had the same problem:
http://forum.canardpc.com/archive/index.php/t-29020.htm...

you can try to download an old version of cpu-z to see if that fixes the problem, or you can edit cpu-z's .ini file (ask me if you need help with this part).

This picture shows what cpu-z should have, you should also note that in this picture overdrive is listing the cpu vid:
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/2047/4400-bi...

I believe the board is actually running the chip at the user specified voltage otherwise you probably wouldn't have a stable overclock. Also you can try HWmontior to see what voltage it reports for the cpu.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 5, 2013 11:48:33 PM

mlcaouette said:
Ok I think I figured out what the problem is. CPU-z is reporting the cpu vid instead of the core voltage. Here is a thread describing someone who had the same problem:
http://forum.canardpc.com/archive/index.php/t-29020.htm...

you can try to download an old version of cpu-z to see if that fixes the problem, or you can edit cpu-z's .ini file (ask me if you need help with this part).

This picture shows what cpu-z should have, you should also note that in this picture overdrive is listing the cpu vid:
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/2047/4400-bi...

I believe the board is actually running the chip at the user specified voltage otherwise you probably wouldn't have a stable overclock. Also you can try HWmontior to see what voltage it reports for the cpu.

Ok i will need help with the .ini file and the old version does not show any voltages and it only detects one core and tread.

Hwmonitor says its at 1.350 i will test on load and see what happens and is the temp its showing correct?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 12:29:56 AM

EDIT: Just use notepad

Step 1:
Right click on cpu-z and click on open file location.

Step 2:
Find the file labeled cpuz with a type of configuration settings (the file icon looks like a notepad with a gear in the lower left).

Step 3:
Right click on config file and go to properties, then to the security tab, then click on users, then click edit, again highlight users and check full control, followed by apply and ok, then apply and ok once more.

Step 3:
Copy and paste the config file to some other location. This will serve as a backup in case things go wrong.

Step 4:
Open config file using notepad

Step 5:
compare your config file to mine in this image:

Step 6:
I believe the only thing you will need to edit will be the "sensor=0" change this to sensor=1
click save as and select all files instead of .txt then save/overwrite and exit.

Step 7:
Try cpu-z and see if it is now reporting voltage instead of vid.

Post back if you have problems or any questions. Hopefully this will work.

Oh, and the temp that HWmonitor reads is likely correct.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 12:38:41 AM

One more thing which older version of cpu-z did you try? I'd use 1.61 if you didn't try that one. It should've been the first version to fully support the A10 chips
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 12:57:47 AM

mlcaouette said:
EDIT: Just use notepad

Step 1:
Right click on cpu-z and click on open file location.

Step 2:
Find the file labeled cpuz with a type of configuration settings (the file icon looks like a notepad with a gear in the lower left).

Step 3:
Right click on config file and go to properties, then to the security tab, then click on users, then click edit, again highlight users and check full control, followed by apply and ok, then apply and ok once more.

Step 3:
Copy and paste the config file to some other location. This will serve as a backup in case things go wrong.

Step 4:
Open config file using notepad

Step 5:
compare your config file to mine in this image:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc465/caddylover72/cpu-zconfig_zps1de061d4.png

Step 6:
I believe the only thing you will need to edit will be the "sensor=0" change this to sensor=1
click save as and select all files instead of .txt then save/overwrite and exit.

Step 7:
Try cpu-z and see if it is now reporting voltage instead of vid.

Post back if you have problems or any questions. Hopefully this will work.

Oh, and the temp that HWmonitor reads is likely correct.

Still not working and i tried 1.61.

Hw monitor states my idle temp is about 50 degrees and under stress it goes up 90
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 1:06:43 AM

So you were successfully able to switch senor=0 to sensor=1 in the config file and it saved and overwrote the original file? I just tested this with my cpu-z and with sensor=0 it reports cpu vid and sensor=1 it reports voltage.

As for the temps, what are you using for cooling and what program were you using to monitor temps prior to HWmonitor?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 1:58:42 AM

mlcaouette said:
So you were successfully able to switch senor=0 to sensor=1 in the config file and it saved and overwrote the original file? I just tested this with my cpu-z and with sensor=0 it reports cpu vid and sensor=1 it reports voltage.

As for the temps, what are you using for cooling and what program were you using to monitor temps prior to HWmonitor?

I tried and it didn't change anything i also tried on my laptop too

i use core temp, Amd overdrive give me the same result too, and am using Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 2:25:30 AM

You are overwriting the config file right, notepad will try and save the file as a text file by default.

Does cpu-z report correct voltages when everything is set to stock?

Please post up a copy of everything within the config file you're editing so I can look into the differences between my own config file and yours a bit closer.

Back on temps I'd trust the bios temp over HWmonitor. What kind of temps are you getting with the other programs (core and cpu casing temp)?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 2:58:36 AM

mlcaouette said:
You are overwriting the config file right, notepad will try and save the file as a text file by default.

Does cpu-z report correct voltages when everything is set to stock?

Please post up a copy of everything within the config file you're editing so I can look into the differences between my own config file and yours a bit closer.

Back on temps I'd trust the bios temp over HWmonitor. What kind of temps are you getting with the other programs (core and cpu casing temp)?

My bois temp are always around 40

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 3:53:59 AM

Well I wouldn't trust that core temp reading either, min 0C is impossible unless you keep your ambient temp below freezing.

Back to the cpu-z problem when you edit the config file do the changes stick when you reopen it? Sensor should be set to sensor=1
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 4:35:00 AM

mlcaouette said:
Well I wouldn't trust that core temp reading either, min 0C is impossible unless you keep your ambient temp below freezing.

Back to the cpu-z problem when you edit the config file do the changes stick when you reopen it? Sensor should be set to sensor=1

No they didnt and sensors was set to sensor=1 and i change it to 0
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 5:43:09 PM

Well, I was reading up more on the weird varying temperature readings that you are getting and you definitely are not the only person with that problem. Some are saying that speed fan will report accurate temperatures.

I'm still looking into this voltage problem some more, in the meantime would you try this program and see what kind of readings you get:
http://openhardwaremonitor.org/
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 7:08:26 PM

mlcaouette said:
Well, I was reading up more on the weird varying temperature readings that you are getting and you definitely are not the only person with that problem. Some are saying that speed fan will report accurate temperatures.

I'm still looking into this voltage problem some more, in the meantime would you try this program and see what kind of readings you get:
http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Core Voltage is not showing only gpu voltage and i tried all the different versions :( 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 10:27:27 PM

Here is some interesting info on temps for your cpu, explains why it could give a readout of 0C. http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=164815.0

One more things to try and fix the vcore issue:
Are you running the latest bios version from msi? If not update to the latest version and report back if voltage is reported correctly under stock conditions and after you overclock.
If you already have the latest bios version try reseting back to defaults and see if cpu-z will report the voltage and not the vid (you may have to play with the sensor= in the config file).
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 11:34:21 PM

mlcaouette said:
Here is some interesting info on temps for your cpu, explains why it could give a readout of 0C. http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=164815.0

One more things to try and fix the vcore issue:
Are you running the latest bios version from msi? If not update to the latest version and report back if voltage is reported correctly under stock conditions and after you overclock.
If you already have the latest bios version try reseting back to defaults and see if cpu-z will report the voltage and not the vid (you may have to play with the sensor= in the config file).

How do i revert back to stock? and so i take bios temperate readings are correct?

I have a software from MSI called clickbios2 and it displays the temparture but its 10 degrees lower than my real bios
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 9:35:48 PM

While in the bios the cpu is near 100% load, when viewing temps with clickbios2 what are the load conditions?

You can remove the motherboard battery to revert back to stock settings or clear the cmos with the jumper on the motherboard (refer to the owners manual), or while in bios when you go to exit there should be a selection to revert back to default settings.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 12:09:20 AM

mlcaouette said:
While in the bios the cpu is near 100% load, when viewing temps with clickbios2 what are the load conditions?

You can remove the motherboard battery to revert back to stock settings or clear the cmos with the jumper on the motherboard (refer to the owners manual), or while in bios when you go to exit there should be a selection to revert back to default settings.

Averaging about 12%. i have another software that came with clickbios 2 called control center which have some cool feature, (same temp as clickbios) it show my Vcore =1.520 and when i do a stress test with prime it drops down to 1.472.

Am a try to restore it tomorrow
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 1:27:56 AM

Seems to me like the temps in the motherboard software are correct. I'm not sure about the vcore in the clickbios, perhaps you can try different voltages in bios and see how they affect the reported voltage in clickbios 2 (hopefully the differences will be the same).
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 9:59:31 PM

mlcaouette said:
Seems to me like the temps in the motherboard software are correct. I'm not sure about the vcore in the clickbios, perhaps you can try different voltages in bios and see how they affect the reported voltage in clickbios 2 (hopefully the differences will be the same).

When i restore my settings to default cpu-z is displaying the core vid in real time and not stuck at 1.225.

Here is a pick of cpuz compared to my mobo software will all settings on auto in bios

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 11:47:24 PM

mlcaouette said:
Well this is a possible extreme solution to your problem, you can manually measure vcore with a multimeter. Here is an article on it: http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/guides/253-voltage-measu...

Check your measurement against the control center reading.

I dont knw if i could do that
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2013 12:52:16 AM

Unfortunately that is the last thing I can think to do with the problem you're having, besides testing the motherboard with a different cpu and your cpu with a different M/B.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2013 1:23:03 AM

mlcaouette said:
Unfortunately that is the last thing I can think to do with the problem you're having, besides testing the motherboard with a different cpu and your cpu with a different M/B.

Dont have that option guess i'll have too look into it then, one more thing i notice is that when i change my cpu voltage to lets say 1.5 and reboot back into bios under cpu specifications it say 1.428 or something
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2013 6:40:51 PM

Best answer selected by iFreeStylin.
m
l
!