Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking my cpu (problem) Boot problem

Last response: in Overclocking
January 3, 2013 4:52:36 PM

When I Overclock My CPU Intel core 2 quad 2.33ghz with 20%(2.8ghz) it works fine but when i try to clock it to 30% the limit It gives me this message on startup.

"reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"
I
can only get it away by clocking back down ...

Please help...

My Specs are
Video Card:Nvidia-Geforce Asus GTX 560ti Overclocked
Motherboard: Asus P5KPLAM-SE
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, 2331 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2013 6:41:29 PM

First, make sure that you have adequate cooling (CPU and case airflow).

Next, do not use the AI overclock feature but instead set the overclock option to manual and dial in the overclock yourself.

As you are using the AI overclock feature I am going to assume you are not too familiar with overclocking, so you should read up on how to overclock your CPU here.
m
l
January 3, 2013 6:53:31 PM

Steps:
1.Keep pressing F11 when booting your PC.
2.Then set overclocking settings to default from the BIOS.
3.Try to overclock again.
Tips:
1.Try to keep your temperature at 25c idle and 75c at full usage at MAX.
2.Keep your core-voltage (Vcore) no more than 1.35v.
3.Have a good cooler and nice airflow in your case

Hope this helps. :) 
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2013 3:29:40 AM

I Put new coolermaster cooling on so cooling is fine....I just need to know exacly what to do to overclock to the max because 2.8 ghz is not anough
m
l
January 8, 2013 11:45:40 PM

That's a one hell of an old CPU, if you want to reach over 3GHz you must buy a newer CPU along with a more modern motherboard that will support the new CPU's socket. Otherwise, you will stuck with sky high temperatures less power and more voltage trying to go over 2.9GHz. I'd recommend you buy a 3rd generation Intel CPU along with a better motherboard because as far as I can see, you are nowhere ready to overclock.
Petertheduke said:
I Put new coolermaster cooling on so cooling is fine....I just need to know exacly what to do to overclock to the max because 2.8 ghz is not anough

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 7:10:44 PM

Petertheduke said:

Read the overclock guide I linked you earlier, it tells you exactly what steps to do.

We can not just give you some settings for you to enter, as every CPU is unique, and requires finetuning to get the right balance of settings for an efficient overclock.

So, read and understand the guide, then come back asking if you have some specific issues, let us know exactly what you have done and where you are having problems, and we might be able to assist you further.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 8:07:33 PM

First, AI overclocking was a joke with all 775 platforms. It overvolts the processor, doesn't just "bump" the FSB rather it skyrockets it, and the worst part, there's no fine tuning. The C2Q 2.33ghz, good luck hitting 3Ghz with that chip. It's just not going to without a really good motherboard, hella cooling, and good RAM to back it up. I'd be more than happy at 2.8Ghz if you can get it stable. It's obvious that the boosted FSB is causing even the SATA controller to become unstable. That's why you need a high quality motherboard. A few were the 780SLi based MSI and XFX boards of the day and could handle massive jumps in FSB.

What exactly is the reason you're overclocking? At 2.8Ghz that processor won't be much of a problem for any tasks you'll be doing aside from getting 70FPS in games like BF3 at ultra. But it's more than enough to handle normal gaming and pretty much any application you'd pick off the shelf at officemax.

So my question remains, why are you trying to achieve such an overclock? That processor at 3Ghz isn't going to show any real world gains with only a 200mhz difference.
m
l
!