New intel SSD not installing OS/ Monitor Troubles

bfalcon

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Hi all,
I just got given an intel 320 series 80GB SSD and have put it in my desktop PC. I disconnected my other two drives and attached a SATA and power cord to my SSD. I think my motherboard is only SATA II and the gift was SATA III. It doesn't matter does it? Anyway a problem is that when I power on the computer with the Windows 7 Home Premium disk in it, it gets past the BIOS, loading windows files screen and starts windows. It stops on the blue picture where the dialogue boxes usually appear. I have a cursor and clicking does nothing.

What happen next (apart from nothing) is my monitor powers off and then when the keyboard or mouse is pressed it doesn't come back on.The keyboard and mouse work in BIOS and picture. Thanks a lot for the help in advance.

Solution
As Yougotjaked stated, 320 is a sata II SSD
1) Do not reconnect your HDD, Install windows with only the SSD attached.
2) Did you verify that the Bios is set to AHCI.
.. If it was not, try setting to ahci, select custom install and delete any partitions created during your first attempt.

3) Probaly not a problem, But always a good check. Have you run Memtest 86 from a Bootable CD?
4) What MB, and do you have the latest bios firmware installed.
5) Still a problem, check your DVD reader.

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
I have the same SSD; it's SATA II. That doesn't matter though as they are backwards compatible.

What boot priority do you have it set at? It's probably still on the HDD and so it blue screens. Re-connect the HDD, set the boot priority to the disk, then try again. After that, remember to set it to the SSD :)

bfalcon

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
The boot priority in BIOS shows only the connected components, which are the intel SSD and the DVD drive. I had it set to SSD then disk drive but someone said set it to disk drive first as that is where Windows 7 is. Regardless I do not get THE blue screen but the high-quality picture from windows that is usually behind the configuration options. It has birds and stuff. Wouldn't reconnecting the HDD not allow me to install Windows 7 on the SSD? Any other ideas on fixes?

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
hmmmm... Could you somehow take a picture of the blue screen? I could probably diagnose it if I saw what it says...

As Yougotjaked stated, 320 is a sata II SSD
1) Do not reconnect your HDD, Install windows with only the SSD attached.
2) Did you verify that the Bios is set to AHCI.
.. If it was not, try setting to ahci, select custom install and delete any partitions created during your first attempt.

3) Probaly not a problem, But always a good check. Have you run Memtest 86 from a Bootable CD?
4) What MB, and do you have the latest bios firmware installed.
5) Still a problem, check your DVD reader.

Solution

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
That's what I meant lol. Or you could take a video and find a frame showing the BSOD. that might be a bit easier than trying to time the photo...