Sign in with
Your question

HDD not recognized, help!

Last response: in Storage
March 25, 2012 2:15:08 AM

Hello, I just completed my first computer build and I have both a SSD and an HDD (this one to be exact): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Now, when I started up the machine at first, I only had the SSD connected so I could install the OS (Windows 7 64-bit) on that, then I rebooted it with the hard drive connected. It didn't show up in BIOS, and it only sometimes shows up under the device manager. The strange thing is when it does show up, it says ST_M13FQBL ATA Device, even though that doesn't match the model. And when I try to initialize and partition it, I get an error that says "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." Can someone please help me figure out what is going wrong?

Other Specs:
ASRock A55M-HVS FM1 AMD motherboard
AMD A6-3500 2.1GHz FM1 Triple Core
Crucial 4GB RAM
Seasonic SS-300ES Bronze 300W
Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD

More about : hdd recognized

a c 261 G Storage
March 25, 2012 12:16:06 PM

If not recognized by BIOS and all connections correct, then most likely you got a bad drive!
m
l
March 25, 2012 3:55:43 PM

Dang, well it looks like I'll have to return it. As far as I can tell, everything else is correctly connected, and I don't know what else to try. Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 25, 2012 5:40:41 PM

I would try a different cable and then a different port on the motherboard. Then return that drive.
m
l
March 26, 2012 3:59:59 AM

I tried swapping the 3 SATA cables that I have and tried all six ports, they work with the other hardware but for some reason just don't recognize the hard drive when I plug it in...
m
l
a c 261 G Storage
March 26, 2012 1:11:05 PM

Really sounds like DOA!
m
l
March 27, 2012 1:05:45 AM

I just thought of something, would it be causing problems because I installed windows in IDE mode? I've been reading elsewhere that I probably should have set it up in AHCI, and I tried switching over once but most likely did it incorrectly because I got a warning when I changed it and didn't do this first http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...

Should I even bother trying this if BIOS didn't even recognize the hardware?
m
l
a c 261 G Storage
March 27, 2012 4:07:39 AM

It should be recognized by BIOS either way regardless if the SSD is in ACHI or IDE mode.
m
l
!