Help? Really slow bootup - a lot of HDD activity before Wi..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi all,

I've been noticing a problem get progressively worst - the time after bootup
which I can start using WinXP. The actual boot up is not that bad, and I
get my desktop quite quickly, however, the HDD activity light is going like
crazy, and I can hear my HDD working overtime for a while before I can
actually use WinXP. I have checked all the usual suspects like
Spy/Ad/wares, or virus and I perform regular mantenances such as disk
defrags on my HDDs. The most noticable jump in time to wait came when I
switched my system HDD to a secondary VIA RAID controller (which isn't being
used as a RAID) - to use my Intel ICH5 controller to control my ATAPI
optical drives (which my VIA controller doesn't support). This was
unfortunately the only way I can get all 3 of my optical drives running at
the same time. I checked that the VIA controller is transferring in UDMA5.
Once everything is running, everything seems fine - just the bootup time.

I am still on WinXP SP1a and my system specs are:

Intel P4 2.4Ghz HT enabled
Asus P4P800 Deluxe (w/2x 512Mb dual channel =1Gb)
Intel IDE:
Primary: Sony DVD-RW (DRU-530A) -master
Secondary: LiteOn CD-RW -master
Secondary: Pioneer DVD-A05 -slave
VIA IDE:
Primary: WD 120Gb (System) -master
Primary: WD 120Gb -slave
Secondary: Quantum 6.4Gb -master
SCSI:
IBM 4Gb HDD
Iomega ZIP removeable
SyQuest 200Mb removeable
ATI Radeon 9000
ATI TV-Wonder

p.s. I heard something a while back that the VIA controller might be the
cause?
Thanks,
Wm
14 answers Last reply
More about help slow bootup activity
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hey there William,

    are these serial ata drives? if so, I found a forum thread discussing it at
    http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=61287&enterthread=y

    I know that VIA has had some issues with these controllers as of late. you
    might want to try updating the drivers to see what happens. You can get the
    latest drivers here.

    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Thanks,

    No they are not SATA drives, just EIDE ones. Although I've been thinking
    about adding a SATA which I would make the system drive - but not yet.

    I will download the newer VIA drivers and see if they do anything.

    Thanks,
    Wm

    "William Anderson" <wanderson75@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey there William,
    >
    > are these serial ata drives? if so, I found a forum thread discussing it
    at

    http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=61287&enterthread=y

    > I know that VIA has had some issues with these controllers as of late.
    you
    > might want to try updating the drivers to see what happens. You can get
    the
    > latest drivers here.
    >
    > http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I had the same problem with my computer, the HD grinded constantly and slowed
    down my computer to the point of total frustration. Tried 4 different
    AdWare/Spyware programs which found many suspicious files, but nothing fixed
    the problem. Finally found out I had Virtumonde malware which "reruns" files
    at start up over and over, so the computer is constantly looking to run these
    programs (which really don't exist). Check out this link

    www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t-4214

    and see reply #14 regarding HijackThis and Killbox. Follow directions (quite
    simple - I am not real computer savvy and was able to do it) and you'll be
    amazed.

    This totally cured my problem.

    Pat

    "William Cheng" wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've been noticing a problem get progressively worst - the time after bootup
    > which I can start using WinXP. The actual boot up is not that bad, and I
    > get my desktop quite quickly, however, the HDD activity light is going like
    > crazy, and I can hear my HDD working overtime for a while before I can
    > actually use WinXP. I have checked all the usual suspects like
    > Spy/Ad/wares, or virus and I perform regular mantenances such as disk
    > defrags on my HDDs. The most noticable jump in time to wait came when I
    > switched my system HDD to a secondary VIA RAID controller (which isn't being
    > used as a RAID) - to use my Intel ICH5 controller to control my ATAPI
    > optical drives (which my VIA controller doesn't support). This was
    > unfortunately the only way I can get all 3 of my optical drives running at
    > the same time. I checked that the VIA controller is transferring in UDMA5.
    > Once everything is running, everything seems fine - just the bootup time.
    >
    > I am still on WinXP SP1a and my system specs are:
    >
    > Intel P4 2.4Ghz HT enabled
    > Asus P4P800 Deluxe (w/2x 512Mb dual channel =1Gb)
    > Intel IDE:
    > Primary: Sony DVD-RW (DRU-530A) -master
    > Secondary: LiteOn CD-RW -master
    > Secondary: Pioneer DVD-A05 -slave
    > VIA IDE:
    > Primary: WD 120Gb (System) -master
    > Primary: WD 120Gb -slave
    > Secondary: Quantum 6.4Gb -master
    > SCSI:
    > IBM 4Gb HDD
    > Iomega ZIP removeable
    > SyQuest 200Mb removeable
    > ATI Radeon 9000
    > ATI TV-Wonder
    >
    > p.s. I heard something a while back that the VIA controller might be the
    > cause?
    > Thanks,
    > Wm

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Thanks FFP,

    I tried the link, but it returns a "No thread specified. If you followed a
    valid link, please notify the webmaster"
    Could you check that link again for me please?

    Thanks,
    Wm

    "FFP Pat" <FFP Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    UDMA5.
    > > Once everything is running, everything seems fine - just the bootup
    time.

    > > I am still on WinXP SP1a and my system specs are:
    > >
    > > Intel P4 2.4Ghz HT enabled
    > > Asus P4P800 Deluxe (w/2x 512Mb dual channel =1Gb)
    > > Intel IDE:
    > > Primary: Sony DVD-RW (DRU-530A) -master
    > > Secondary: LiteOn CD-RW -master
    > > Secondary: Pioneer DVD-A05 -slave
    > > VIA IDE:
    > > Primary: WD 120Gb (System) -master
    > > Primary: WD 120Gb -slave
    > > Secondary: Quantum 6.4Gb -master
    > > SCSI:
    > > IBM 4Gb HDD
    > > Iomega ZIP removeable
    > > SyQuest 200Mb removeable
    > > ATI Radeon 9000
    > > ATI TV-Wonder
    > >
    > > p.s. I heard something a while back that the VIA controller might be

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    William, I sent you an e-mail to go to www.bleepingcomputer.com and search
    the message boards for HijackThis. Let me know how you make out.
    Pat

    "William Cheng" wrote:

> [...]
    > UDMA5.
    > > > Once everything is running, everything seems fine - just the bootup
    > time.
    > > >
    > > > I am still on WinXP SP1a and my system specs are:
    > > >
    > > > Intel P4 2.4Ghz HT enabled
    > > > Asus P4P800 Deluxe (w/2x 512Mb dual channel =1Gb)
    > > > Intel IDE:
    > > > Primary: Sony DVD-RW (DRU-530A) -master
    > > > Secondary: LiteOn CD-RW -master
    > > > Secondary: Pioneer DVD-A05 -slave
    > > > VIA IDE:
    > > > Primary: WD 120Gb (System) -master
    > > > Primary: WD 120Gb -slave
    > > > Secondary: Quantum 6.4Gb -master
    > > > SCSI:
    > > > IBM 4Gb HDD
    > > > Iomega ZIP removeable
    > > > SyQuest 200Mb removeable
    > > > ATI Radeon 9000
    > > > ATI TV-Wonder
    > > >
    > > > p.s. I heard something a while back that the VIA controller might be

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

> [...]

    UDMA5.
    > > Once everything is running, everything seems fine - just the bootup
    time.

    > > I am still on WinXP SP1a and my system specs are:
    > >
    > > Intel P4 2.4Ghz HT enabled
    > > Asus P4P800 Deluxe (w/2x 512Mb dual channel =1Gb)
    > > Intel IDE:
    > > Primary: Sony DVD-RW (DRU-530A) -master
    > > Secondary: LiteOn CD-RW -master
    > > Secondary: Pioneer DVD-A05 -slave
    > > VIA IDE:
    > > Primary: WD 120Gb (System) -master
    > > Primary: WD 120Gb -slave
    > > Secondary: Quantum 6.4Gb -master
    > > SCSI:
    > > IBM 4Gb HDD
    > > Iomega ZIP removeable
    > > SyQuest 200Mb removeable
    > > ATI Radeon 9000
    > > ATI TV-Wonder
    > >
    > > p.s. I heard something a while back that the VIA controller might be

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hey William,

    Can I get the Model of the ATA Controller card that your running?

    "William Cheng" wrote:

    > Thanks,
    >
    > No they are not SATA drives, just EIDE ones. Although I've been thinking
    > about adding a SATA which I would make the system drive - but not yet.
    >
    > I will download the newer VIA drivers and see if they do anything.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Wm
    >
    > "William Anderson" <wanderson75@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hey there William,
    > >
    > > are these serial ata drives? if so, I found a forum thread discussing it
    > at
    > >
    > http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=61287&enterthread=y
    > >
    > > I know that VIA has had some issues with these controllers as of late.
    > you
    > > might want to try updating the drivers to see what happens. You can get
    > the
    > > latest drivers here.
    > >
    > > http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Sorry, try this

    "William Cheng" wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've been noticing a problem get progressively worst - the time after bootup
    > which I can start using WinXP. The actual boot up is not that bad, and I
    > get my desktop quite quickly, however, the HDD activity light is going like
    > crazy, and I can hear my HDD working overtime for a while before I can
    > actually use WinXP. I have checked all the usual suspects like
    > Spy/Ad/wares, or virus and I perform regular mantenances such as disk
    > defrags on my HDDs. The most noticable jump in time to wait came when I
    > switched my system HDD to a secondary VIA RAID controller (which isn't being
    > used as a RAID) - to use my Intel ICH5 controller to control my ATAPI
    > optical drives (which my VIA controller doesn't support). This was
    > unfortunately the only way I can get all 3 of my optical drives running at
    > the same time. I checked that the VIA controller is transferring in UDMA5.
    > Once everything is running, everything seems fine - just the bootup time.
    >
    > I am still on WinXP SP1a and my system specs are:
    >
    > Intel P4 2.4Ghz HT enabled
    > Asus P4P800 Deluxe (w/2x 512Mb dual channel =1Gb)
    > Intel IDE:
    > Primary: Sony DVD-RW (DRU-530A) -master
    > Secondary: LiteOn CD-RW -master
    > Secondary: Pioneer DVD-A05 -slave
    > VIA IDE:
    > Primary: WD 120Gb (System) -master
    > Primary: WD 120Gb -slave
    > Secondary: Quantum 6.4Gb -master
    > SCSI:
    > IBM 4Gb HDD
    > Iomega ZIP removeable
    > SyQuest 200Mb removeable
    > ATI Radeon 9000
    > ATI TV-Wonder
    >
    > p.s. I heard something a while back that the VIA controller might be the
    > cause?
    > Thanks,
    > Wm

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Yep, its onboard my Asus P4P800 motherboard, its a VIA VT6410 IDE RAID
    controller.
    I downloaded the newer drivers, but have yet to install them.

    > Hey William,
    >
    > Can I get the Model of the ATA Controller card that your running?
    >
    > "William Cheng" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > No they are not SATA drives, just EIDE ones. Although I've been
    thinking
    > > about adding a SATA which I would make the system drive - but not yet.
    > >
    > > I will download the newer VIA drivers and see if they do anything.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Wm
    > >
    > > "William Anderson" <wanderson75@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hey there William,
    > > >
    > > > are these serial ata drives? if so, I found a forum thread discussing
    it
    > > at

    http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=61287&enterthread=y

    > > > I know that VIA has had some issues with these controllers as of late.
    > > you
    > > > might want to try updating the drivers to see what happens. You can
    get
    > > the
    > > > latest drivers here.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Are you sure this is the thread you want me to look at? It mentions a
    Del-456 virus and hostx.exe problems, which doesn't seem to affect me - nor
    do they discribe a slow bootup.

    > Sorry, try this
    > www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=4214
    >
    > Pat
    >
    > "William Cheng" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I've been noticing a problem get progressively worst - the time after
    bootup
    > > which I can start using WinXP. The actual boot up is not that bad, and
    > > get my desktop quite quickly, however, the HDD activity light is going
    like
    > > crazy, and I can hear my HDD working overtime for a while before I can
    > > actually use WinXP. I have checked all the usual suspects like
    > > Spy/Ad/wares, or virus and I perform regular mantenances such as disk
    > > defrags on my HDDs. The most noticable jump in time to wait came when I
    > > switched my system HDD to a secondary VIA RAID controller (which isn't
    being
    > > used as a RAID) - to use my Intel ICH5 controller to control my ATAPI
    > > optical drives (which my VIA controller doesn't support). This was
    > > unfortunately the only way I can get all 3 of my optical drives running
    at
    > > the same time. I checked that the VIA controller is transferring in
    UDMA5.
    > > Once everything is running, everything seems fine - just the bootup
    time.

    > > I am still on WinXP SP1a and my system specs are:
    > >
    > > Intel P4 2.4Ghz HT enabled
    > > Asus P4P800 Deluxe (w/2x 512Mb dual channel =1Gb)
    > > Intel IDE:
    > > Primary: Sony DVD-RW (DRU-530A) -master
    > > Secondary: LiteOn CD-RW -master
    > > Secondary: Pioneer DVD-A05 -slave
    > > VIA IDE:
    > > Primary: WD 120Gb (System) -master
    > > Primary: WD 120Gb -slave
    > > Secondary: Quantum 6.4Gb -master
    > > SCSI:
    > > IBM 4Gb HDD
    > > Iomega ZIP removeable
    > > SyQuest 200Mb removeable
    > > ATI Radeon 9000
    > > ATI TV-Wonder
    > >
    > > p.s. I heard something a while back that the VIA controller might be
    the
    > > cause?
    > > Thanks,
    > > Wm

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I've installed the latest drivers - but still no improvement.

    "William Cheng" <wm_cheng_NOSPAM_@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Yep, its onboard my Asus P4P800 motherboard, its a VIA VT6410 IDE RAID
    > controller.
    > I downloaded the newer drivers, but have yet to install them.
    >

    > "William Anderson" <wanderson75@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hey William,
    > >
    > > Can I get the Model of the ATA Controller card that your running?
    > >
    > > "William Cheng" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > No they are not SATA drives, just EIDE ones. Although I've been
    > thinking
    > > > about adding a SATA which I would make the system drive - but not yet.
    > > >
    > > > I will download the newer VIA drivers and see if they do anything.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Wm
    > > >
    > > > "William Anderson" <wanderson75@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > it
    > > > at

    http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=61287&enterthread=y

    > > > you
    > get
    > > > the

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hey there William,

    Why don't we try this? Go to Start, Right Click on the my computer icon,
    and left click on properties. Click on the hardware tab and then click the
    device manager button. Then click on the plus sign next to IDE/ATA Atapi
    Devices, the right click on each of the IDE Controllers and left click on
    properties. Select the Advanced Settings tab and change the Transfer Mode
    Settings to "DMA if available" and reboot. See if this takes care of any of
    the performance issues.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Its taking me around 1minute 10seconds to load WinXP to get a desktop

    But when I get the desktop - the HDD grinds on for another minute before I
    can really use WinXP

    So total time is around 2:10 or 2:20 for boot up (how does this fair - my
    laptop certainly boots up and is usable in 40-50sec)

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've been noticing a problem get progressively worst - the time after
    bootup
    > which I can start using WinXP. The actual boot up is not that bad, and I
    > get my desktop quite quickly, however, the HDD activity light is going
    like
    > crazy, and I can hear my HDD working overtime for a while before I can
    > actually use WinXP. I have checked all the usual suspects like
    > Spy/Ad/wares, or virus and I perform regular mantenances such as disk
    > defrags on my HDDs. The most noticable jump in time to wait came when I
    > switched my system HDD to a secondary VIA RAID controller (which isn't
    being
    > used as a RAID) - to use my Intel ICH5 controller to control my ATAPI
    > optical drives (which my VIA controller doesn't support). This was
    > unfortunately the only way I can get all 3 of my optical drives running at
    > the same time. I checked that the VIA controller is transferring in
    UDMA5.
    > Once everything is running, everything seems fine - just the bootup time.
    >
    > I am still on WinXP SP1a and my system specs are:
    >
    > Intel P4 2.4Ghz HT enabled
    > Asus P4P800 Deluxe (w/2x 512Mb dual channel =1Gb)
    > Intel IDE:
    > Primary: Sony DVD-RW (DRU-530A) -master
    > Secondary: LiteOn CD-RW -master
    > Secondary: Pioneer DVD-A05 -slave
    > VIA IDE:
    > Primary: WD 120Gb (System) -master
    > Primary: WD 120Gb -slave
    > Secondary: Quantum 6.4Gb -master
    > SCSI:
    > IBM 4Gb HDD
    > Iomega ZIP removeable
    > SyQuest 200Mb removeable
    > ATI Radeon 9000
    > ATI TV-Wonder
    >
    > p.s. I heard something a while back that the VIA controller might be the
    > cause?
    > Thanks,
    > Wm

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    My HDD are using UDMA5 on the VIA controller, while my Intel controllers are
    using UDMA-2 (the best that my optical drives can do. I don't think the
    transfer rate is the issue here.

    > Hey there William,
    >
    > Why don't we try this? Go to Start, Right Click on the my computer icon,
    > and left click on properties. Click on the hardware tab and then click
    the
    > device manager button. Then click on the plus sign next to IDE/ATA Atapi
    > Devices, the right click on each of the IDE Controllers and left click on
    > properties. Select the Advanced Settings tab and change the Transfer Mode
    > Settings to "DMA if available" and reboot. See if this takes care of any
    of
    > the performance issues.

Configuration Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP