Initial SSD set up precedures for optimal performance?

bruvvamoff

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Just purchased a used 64GB Vertex 3 and windows 7. I want to get the absolute best from the new setup.
The SSD will accompany a Seagate HD400LJ (data storage) and a HD501LJ (Windows and other programs)
This is my first SSD. Is this the correct procedure?

1. Physically install SSD and connect to SATA III port.
2. Boot to BIOS and set drive to AHCI mode, also set DVD drive to first boot priority.
3. Boot from Windows 7 disc.
4. Delete any partitions and full format SSD.
5. Perform fresh installation of windows 7 to SSD.
6. Download latest updates for Windows 7.
7. Download latest firmware for SSD.
8. Use SSD to format HD501LJ

Antec true 480w
Asus P8Z68 vlx
Intel 2700k
16GB Vengeance
HD400LJ & HD501LJ
HD3000 i7 graphics
Dual Samsung Syncmasters @ 1080p
Windows XP Pro 64bit
Sony Vegas, Pro Tools.

Any advice would be great guys.

They'll need to drag me kicking and screaming from the world of XP'

bruvvamoff

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012

Correction, it's a 60GB Vertex.

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
If you are going to do any ssd firmware updating you should do it before starting anything else, as ShadyHamster has suggested. Because firmware updating procedure will probably delete everything on the ssd.

It’s also a great idea for best performance afterwards, to do a secure erase before installing windows, as ShadyHamster, again, has suggested. For this see:
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85344

After you install Windows it may be a good idea to follow these suggestions:
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=82516

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
And yes, don't format the ssd and let windows do its thing, as Dereck47 has suggested. I never format an ssd drive. Installing fresh, windows does it. Restoring from a backup image, backup software does it.

BTW as suggested in my first link above, if you need a good (very good!) defrag software diskeeper with HyperFast is the one.

bruvvamoff

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012

Your link to secure format step by step is insane. It looks like it will take hours.
Is there a quicker way for someone who has nothing to backup and a fresh installation of 7?

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
The link is actually for "refreshing" ssds that has been "used" for a while.
Since you are starting fresh, you'll skip the ssd backup and restore procedure (Acronis).

You need only the parted magic procedure.

No, the procedure is not insane. The explanations are step by step and long so there is no misunderstanding. (He says at the beginning, an IQ of >1 is a requirement.)

If you know what you are doing the whole procedure (including backup/restore, not required in your case) should not take more half an hour the most. In your case it should take about 5 minutes. Parted Magic actually does its job in about 10 seconds. But first you have to prepare a boot disk from the downloaded iso file.

I think we are kinda starting to make a mountain out of a molehill here. Just install Win 7, it will do everything that needs to be done. Firmware updates? Quite simple to do even after the Windows install and will not bother anything on the drive, but if needed I would do it before you install Windows just to prevent any possible issues with the old firmware during the Windows install.

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Firmware updating may-or-may not erase data on ssd depending on the make and software. But it is indeed best either to do a backup before flashing or do it first and install OS afterward, which is the logical thing to do.

One may start thinking that you may better skip this wiping clean suggestion. But better not…

About a week ago there was this guy on this forum complaining about the very low performance of the brand new sdd he had bought and just installed OS. I gave him this link too, though I was skeptical if wiping clean would help a brand new ssd. But it did. His ssd came to the manufacturer’s performance spec . So it seems it is best to wipe clean even a brand new ssd before using it.

And…
No, we are not “make a mountain out of a molehill” here. Sometimes it is the details that make a real DIFFERENCE.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil_is_in_the_details :)

Did not see " Disconnect all other HDDs" before installing win 7 on to SSD.

Windows 7 will not auto delete partitions, will auto format partition. A 60 gig used SSD should come with no partitions and win 7 will auto create the two partitons. However, if previous owner did NOT delete partitions they will still be there and windows will use them without deleting.

As to secure erase, not a must do but probably a good thing. If you do not, windows 7 trim and internal CG should get the SSD back to close to Factory specs. (PS I've done it both ways.
Firmware update, while it can be done after windows install, it is best to do prior, just to keep murphy at bay. Since we ALWAYS back up our system drive and as everyone knows - it's only if we do not have the backup that things go wrong. SEE End.

REMEMBER: Once you do get that SSD up and running, perform a image of your SSD using windows 7 back up (Located in control panel) makes restoring the operating system + Programs a 10 -> 15 min simple task!!

bruvvamoff

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012

Why would I need to perform a backup when it's a used SSD with nothing on it?

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
just go here:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/SandForce_Based/

if you still have the HD with windows installed in the pc you wish to install the SSD in just install the SSD temporarily as a secondary drive and download the toolbox from the link, from there you can check the current firmware of the ssd and update if necessary and then do the secure erase from the same toolbox program.

if you have already set up the ssd as the main drive you then need to download the bootable linux tool, there is also a guide on how to make a bootable usb drive or you can burn it to a cd/dvd