Your question

Heatsink in the way of capture card....help

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • HDTV
  • Heatsinks
Last response: in Motherboards
October 30, 2010 9:46:10 PM

I want to add a hdtv capture card and this heatsink thing is in the way of fully seating the card in its slot. Is this heatsink thing removeable and will it harm my system if I do? Here is a picture...

More about : heatsink capture card

a c 236 V Motherboard
October 30, 2010 10:12:01 PM

1) It is needed for your motherboard. If you remove it, your board will over heat & crash.

2) Have you tried the card and it won't fit or did you just look at the board & say it won't? Typically, cards are design to fit over that type of heat sink.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2010 10:26:06 PM

As Tecmo said the heatsink is there to keep the MOBO from overheating so is needed -- couple things - it might be a tight fit but should fit over the heatsink so if you haven't actually tried it then give it a try and it might just fit -- Secondly are you using just one or 2 video cards ?? If only using one then you coould alternatively put the vide capture card into the second PCI-e x 16 slot (it will fit and work properly in the x16 slot even though it will not fully fill the slot - they are made so that they can be used in any slot larger than they are so a PCI-e x1 card will fit in and work in a PCI-e x16 slot )

If you are using the second PCI-e x16 slot already and it does not fit over the heatsink as a last resort you could use a dremel to grind down the heatsink a bit to get the card to fit (This will only remove a small amount of the heatsink and should not effect the performance)
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2010 12:46:56 AM

JDFan said:
As Tecmo said the heatsink is there to keep the MOBO from overheating so is needed -- couple things - it might be a tight fit but should fit over the heatsink so if you haven't actually tried it then give it a try and it might just fit -- Secondly are you using just one or 2 video cards ?? If only using one then you coould alternatively put the vide capture card into the second PCI-e x 16 slot (it will fit and work properly in the x16 slot even though it will not fully fill the slot - they are made so that they can be used in any slot larger than they are so a PCI-e x1 card will fit in and work in a PCI-e x16 slot )

If you are using the second PCI-e x16 slot already and it does not fit over the heatsink as a last resort you could use a dremel to grind down the heatsink a bit to get the card to fit (This will only remove a small amount of the heatsink and should not effect the performance)

+1
m
l
November 10, 2010 12:09:52 PM

Thanks for the responses......looks like I'll have to take a hacksaw to the heatsink......when i put the capture card into the other pci-e slot it sits about a mm away from the graphics card fan, blocking half of it.
m
l
!