Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Zotac 9600GT 1GB ECO problemo

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 23, 2010 3:32:28 PM

Hello,
I have been having problems with my new 9600gt 1gb eco card in my system.

It all started when my system would freeze after about an hour of play on the frame and make me reset the computer to continue. No BSoDs and the only Eventview error was a critical Kernal Power Event 41 which gives no info.(Very vague error that a lot of people get for a lot of different reasons.)

Anyways, after testing my system piece by piece, I noticed my card makes a very high pitched sound, almost like a whistle when under full load. I noticed it when I went to run ATI Tool with the 3D view. The system would crash after about 3 seconds of viewing it and my card would stop the noise upon freezing. The card never goes beyond 62*C so that's not the problem. I tried a different card in the slot and had no problem with any program including ATI Tool along with no weird sound. All fingers are pointing in one direction...
My card does not have a 6pin connector, but I see the two holes where one could be installed. Does anyone think that this could solve the problem?(Or even if it's possible to do so without damage to the card?

Causes ruled out:CPU, Ram, MB, PCE slot, heat.

Thanks in advance fellow readers!
February 24, 2010 12:24:27 PM

50+ views and no response :( 
Did I really stump the forum or is it that no one cares?
SOMEONE GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS AT THE LEAST!
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 3:26:43 PM

It is called coil squeal and it is very annoying. What you can do is a small quick mod that really helps out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4aUEoud-mA

Look at the VRM end of my 9800gt s you will notice that the choke coils have some odd metal added on top of them. That is there to help with cooling as well cut the noise. In your case they are over heating as well making the annoyance. However you may have already damaged the card (poor quality from the start so its not your fault) so give the mod a little try if possible (I used arctic silver5 to stick them on and it hardens after time). Now with that out of the way what is your psu, brand and model of the unit and not just the wattage rating?
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2010 4:36:16 PM

Xion XON-700P12N 700W Dual 12V Rail
Looks like a redesigned version of the one with the LED fan.

This was stock and not my first choice. The rest of the computer was too good of a deal to pass up, so I took it.

I was looking at the PSU as the culprit at first, but it ran other cards fine when they were at heavy/100% load. These cards were much older, however, as my old rig used them without a hassle.
(Is there something I'm not seeing? If I need a new PSU I can get a Corsair 750TX for cheap)

Something I should add, no matter if I just turn on my PC, open ATI TOOL and view 3D model as fast as humanly possible I will still get that squeal for all of the 3 seconds before it freezes. Could they really overheat that quickly?

Also, why would the coils overheat but not the rest of the card?
(I've seen your other posts and I trust your advice, I'm just curious.)
m
l

Best solution

a c 173 U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 5:10:37 PM

Manicslayer said:
Xion XON-700P12N 700W Dual 12V Rail
Looks like a redesigned version of the one with the LED fan.

This was stock and not my first choice. The rest of the computer was too good of a deal to pass up, so I took it.

I was looking at the PSU as the culprit at first, but it ran other cards fine when they were at heavy/100% load. These cards were much older, however, as my old rig used them without a hassle.
(Is there something I'm not seeing? If I need a new PSU I can get a Corsair 750TX for cheap)

Something I should add, no matter if I just turn on my PC, open ATI TOOL and view 3D model as fast as humanly possible I will still get that squeal for all of the 3 seconds before it freezes. Could they really overheat that quickly?

Also, why would the coils overheat but not the rest of the card?
(I've seen your other posts and I trust your advice, I'm just curious.)

The psu is from a crappy brand but should be enough in your case. I think it is the card perhaps an RMA should do the trick.
February 24, 2010 5:14:33 PM

Thanks man,
I'm currently working with Zotac to send me another because this kills my gaming. I'm going to buy a XFX 5770 in the VERY near future, but my friend would buy my 9600gt for near retail price as he wants a good PhyX card. (Or maybe he'll SLI some stuff, I don't really know.)

Once again, thanks for replying when no one else would.
m
l
February 24, 2010 5:15:00 PM

Best answer selected by Manicslayer.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 5:42:32 PM

Manicslayer said:
Thanks man,
I'm currently working with Zotac to send me another because this kills my gaming. I'm going to buy a XFX 5770 in the VERY near future, but my friend would buy my 9600gt for near retail price as he wants a good PhyX card. (Or maybe he'll SLI some stuff, I don't really know.)

Once again, thanks for replying when no one else would.

Good luck and let us know how things go.
m
l
!