Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BSOD on new system? HELP

Last response: in Storage
March 25, 2012 8:20:22 PM

Let me start by saying I appologize if this is posted in the wrong spot... Perhaps someone can move it if it is.

So I finally broke down and bought all the components for my new system (listed below)

Asus 990fx Sabertooth Motherboard
AMD fx4100 black edition Cpu
Asus 7770 Gpu
Corsair 8gb Vengeance DDR3 Memory
Corsair AX650 Power Supply
Corsair 600T Graphite case

Long story short, the only thing that wasn't replaced was the Hard Drive.

So I build the system (my first ever without ANY assistance) and power it up hoping for the best. To my surprise, it posts. Everything seems good until it get to with Windows XP loading screen. At that point after about 2-3 seconds I get a BSOD. It says "Stop: 0x0000007B." The biggest problem that Im having with solving this problem is that I dont have another system to check the Hard Drive in. When it was in the old system everything was fine. Granted that was all different hardware, sooooooooooo...

Theres got to be some geniuses on this forum that can help me solve this issue.

More about : bsod system

Best solution

a c 261 G Storage
March 25, 2012 8:27:36 PM

Your old windows install is not compatible with the new hardware! You need at minimum do repair install (save other data) full install is recommended which would wipe all current data!
March 25, 2012 8:29:37 PM

So reinstalling windows will fix this problem? Have you done this before?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 25, 2012 8:33:35 PM

If there is data on the HDD you want - plug it into a working system & retrieve any files. Format and do a clean install as roli has suggested. I spent well over a day once(never again) trying to get a HDD to migrate through an upgrade. Fresh install is as good as it gets for system speed.
-Bruce
m
l
a b G Storage
March 25, 2012 8:34:01 PM

^^ Yes many times. Because of psu failure, power interruption, turning the power switch off too soon, failed windows updates.....
-Bruce
m
l
a c 261 G Storage
March 25, 2012 8:35:28 PM

Me Too! Many times both repair and clean install, never ever had problem with repair. Procedure boot up from win CD select install when setup sees an older install it will give an option to press R for repair, then install all your new hardware drivers.
Clean install will get rid of all old collected crap that tends to collect and system over the years.
m
l
a c 114 G Storage
March 25, 2012 8:36:10 PM

Doublepost

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/340520-31-bsod-system...

And yes, everyone who has ever upgraded their system has done this before....format and reinstall is recommended for trouble free operation. Hope ya backed up all ya stuff 1st or you can try repair option but I have always had annoying issues after doing so and eventually reformatted and reinstalled to eliminate.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 25, 2012 8:37:26 PM

Where you have new hardware I would go with the fresh install - if it was a BSOD for other reasons repair has worked for me as well.
-Bruce
m
l
March 25, 2012 8:37:35 PM

Best answer selected by erenas4.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 25, 2012 8:39:21 PM

Remember those names roli & Jack - always give sensible advice.
-Bruce
m
l
!