Enirr

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
Just got all of my new computer parts earlier, and connected the following:

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E
Processor: i7 930
Graphics Card: Radeon HD6870
RAM: 3x 2GB Patriot Viper 2 Sector 7 1600 MHz

Had no trouble putting it all together, but on boot I noticed that the BIOS reported 4 GB of RAM and not 6. Assuming it was a RAM problem, I tested each of them individually and all of them worked fine, but after putting all three in again it still only reported 4 GB. All of this is being run at stock settings, since the rest of the hardware isn't connected yet.

Enirr

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
The RAM is in all of the correct slots.

This looks like a pain! I'll try removing and reattaching the water cooler for the third time, and see if it helps. I'm running stock voltages, but I don't understand how that could be a possible cause.

Enirr

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
Removed the cooler and reattached it, didn't work. Loosened it gradually and still nothing. There don't appear to be any bent pins on the CPU. The jumpers are set to 1-2, which is the "stock" setting, so I'm going to try raising them to 2-3 after raising the voltage in the BIOS.

Enirr

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
did you try turning off XMP profiles and setting voltages and timings manually?

Everything was set stock until I incremented up to 1.67 to get both sticks to work at 1600. After extensive testing, it appears that the first slot is faulty, though. Would not POST with any of the RAM in A1.

I tried XMP after all of the above, but it seemed to be a bit extreme with voltage amounts so I'd prefer to do it manually.

Is there a bios update for your motherboard that might address the issue?

When I received the mobo the BIOS version was 0303, which is the latest according to Asus' website.

I've also read where re-seating the sticks a few times will do it. Has it ever recognized 6gig?

It's never recognised 6 GB, but I've only owned the thing for 30-odd hours. :)

If I don't make any more progress tonight I'll probably contact OCUK about returning it tomorrow.

So, the list of things I've tried, in the order I tried it:

-Updating BIOS = Already updated
-Reseating RAM several times = Nothing
-Testing each RAM stick indivudally = All fine
-Raising voltage to Intel cap with OC jumpers at standard, 1.65V = No difference
-Raising voltage to Patriot recommended amount for 3 sticks (gradually, incrementing at 0.05V) with OC jumpers at 2-3 (OC) = No difference
-Checking processor and processor slot for bent pins or damage = No damage or noticable bent pins
-Loosening and tightening the water cooler pump/heatsink = Nothing
-Testing 4-pin connector on PSU instead of 8-pin = No difference

spellbinder2050

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008

Hey, did your new memory end up working for you? I'm having a similar problem with a pack of Corsair Dominator 6 gig, but mine only shows up as 4 gigs after long shut down. Did you find out that your ram slot was faulty?

Enirr

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
Hey there,

I sent the MoBo back and the new one detected 6 fine, but I had some issues with blue screens - tested the RAM and it tuns out both one stick of RAM and the MoBo were bad. Just my luck! :)

Enirr

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
Geez - why no one mentioned to create a Memtest bootable CD/DVD alludes me, also not asking what EXACT RAM you had to manually set the BIOS. Patriot RAM isn't that good, and if you purchased in a Set then RMA the ENTIRE Set and not a single stick!

I eventually got around to the Memtest CD after actually getting all 6 GB to boot up, and that's when I RMA'd the whole lot. Picked up some other Patriot RAM, which is oddly faster and cheaper, and it's worked fine ever since.