Sign in with
Your question

Why is my system having problems with HD video editing?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 23, 2010 8:12:46 PM

I just recently built my system with the following specs
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2
SAPPHIRE 100254L Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit GDDR2
Windows 7 64bit Home

The files I'm working with are from a Canon 5DmkII. They are 1920x1080, 1080P H.264/MPEG-4 .mov files.

The problem I'm having is video stutter. When I play the files, as long as there is nothing else going on in my computer, I can play them just fine. I'm using adobe premier CS4 to edit and its pretty much impossible to totally seeing the movie without first rendering it to a video file. If i try to play within premier the video chugs and lags behind the audio. Any suggestions?
a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2010 8:55:34 PM

codis said:
I just recently built my system with the following specs
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2
SAPPHIRE 100254L Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit GDDR2
Windows 7 64bit Home

The files I'm working with are from a Canon 5DmkII. They are 1920x1080, 1080P H.264/MPEG-4 .mov files.

The problem I'm having is video stutter. When I play the files, as long as there is nothing else going on in my computer, I can play them just fine. I'm using adobe premier CS4 to edit and its pretty much impossible to totally seeing the movie without first rendering it to a video file. If i try to play within premier the video chugs and lags behind the audio. Any suggestions?

Try the latest drivers for your videocard.

You should have some buttons on the preferences tab for your video editing program. Check is disabling/enabling hardware acceleration solves the problem.
February 24, 2010 1:35:50 AM

My drivers are up to date and I can't find any options within Premiere CS4 having to do with hardware acceleration or usage of a video card.
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 1:13:20 PM

Reset everything in BIOS to default, mae sure you're not overclocking anything, CPU/RAM.

First. do some simple checks to see if it's a hardware or software issue. Is it just with HD video that causes problems?

Are you able to edit HD and smoothly watch the HD files with Movie Maker or other programs, ie Studio, Vegas, etc? If so, then it's probably not a hardware issue.

Did you stress test your system Prime95, Memtest, etc?

The files that are stuttering, are they loading from your hard drive or from the camera?

Which DirectX version do you have? You need at least 10.1.
From how you describe the problem, it doesn't sound like a hardware issue other than maybe your hard drive being totally filled up and totally fragmented that it could cause large files to become choppy when accessed.
You can get on Adobe CS4 forums to check if it's a known issue and and if there are patches/fixes. I don't use CS4, sorry can't help you about the program itself but maybe it does that by design. I do some video editing and have found very very large files can be a problem so try editing smaller files and if you preview them without glitch then you've found the problem - hardware limitation.

!