Install second hard drive in HP dv7 1261 with 2 internal hard drives with SSD

dustykibbs

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hello,
I had recently had to re build my computer do to hard drive fried. I have a seagate 500GB HDD and I also put in a intel 80GB SSD I just received it is the top motel or 2nd from the top for the Intel 80GB. Now how should I go about putting my OS onto the SSD for performance. Or will I have to make a copy on my external drive and switch the internal drives to make the SSD the Master?

Install the OS on the SSD with the old drive disconnected. then install the hardware drivers before shutting down to reconnect old drive.
Sata drives are no master slave configuration just make sure that your SSD is set up for achi mode in BIOS prior to install.

dustykibbs

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011

Thank You newer too working on laptops, but more people are asking daily for help and my computer runs fast now with the seagate 500GB HDD hybrid. I received the unit from someone who was going to throw it away. It has Blu-ray 17" screen just the hard drive failed. The 4GB RAM was good. Basically paid about $150 in parts, now will have a nice laptop. I do also have everything backed up on my passport if that may be an easier way, by changing out the hard drives and the SSD in the 1st spot. I only plan to use op sys, antivirus, and just minor things to speed up the unit. The rest is on the HDD, and passport. If anymore can think of please let me know

Thank You again!!
Dustin K

dustykibbs

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
I still was unable to get the computer to boot from the SSD Ive cloned it. I have taken the HDD out of the main and ran just the SSD and put in my Windows and Drivers and it makes it all the way to the end and gives an error not gonna wait 4 hours for that again It may be the HP version of Windows works on my 7200RPM seagate Hybrid HDD, just cant get it to ever boot on the SSD. Ive tried every way I can think of. I am unfort disabled and $$ is no where so I will have to wait a whille to get Windows 7 and use just the non HP version on the SSD and hope I didnt waste my money on the Intel 80GB SSD, was a pricey unit but ratings great. May just be for sale soon. :fou: :fou: