Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question on radiator placement

Last response: in Overclocking
January 4, 2013 9:35:15 AM

Hello, this is my first time positing but i've been here several times getting tips and such for building a PC. I did some research on the best configuration for an H100i interloop CPU water cooler, and I was wondering if I could setup the configuration to have the fans take the air out of the case through the top of the case. I would be getting the nzxt 820 and adding the additional 200mm fan to the top, so my question is: can I have the Radiator then the fans attached to the top in this order.... fan attached to top of case underneath two 200mm fans and the radiator is attached to the bottom of the fans to have them in a pull conifig. Any input on this idea? would that work? if you need some clarification please let me know.
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 12:07:54 PM

That's ok, I recommend getting a Noctua NH-D14 because closed loop water coolers aren't that great. If you can't afford a water cooling kit don't get a closed loop.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 5:08:54 PM

They are alright, it's just a price/performance question. It isn't that they are bad, it's just that there are other solutions that perform better for marginally more money. From everything I've read, the H100i is a decent update from the older H100, but it's not a significant performance difference.

Is there a reason you are wanting to use the H100i instead of an air cooler? Why the H100i and not an entry level watercooling kit?

Have you read through the watercooling sticky?

Quote:
That's ok, I recommend getting a Noctua NH-D14 because closed loop water coolers aren't that great. If you can't afford a water cooling kit don't get a closed loop.

So, why would you recommend the most expensive air cooler as an alternative? If he's going to spend that much money you are offering an alternative that is pretty much a 1:1 in performance and price. Why wouldn't you offer a cheaper alternative that performs almost as well? This seems counter intuitive. Just curious as to this recommendation vs. something else.

I also don't see what your basis is for telling someone not to get a closed loop. Aren't you also the one that said watercooling was too difficult?
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2013 5:18:00 PM

Excellent reply from you both thanks for the input highly appreciated. Well the reason why I was lured towards the H100i is the fact that I don't want to refill anything and mess with water. One of my biggest fears being spilling water in my 2k+ gaming rig and having it fry on the spot... :\. I did kinda skim through the sticky and from what I can tell it can be easy to set a closed loop, but I kinda prefer the H100i seeing as how it helps cool and at the same time doesn't require a lot of maintenance besides cleaning the radiator from dust once in a while. Another thing is, I currently have the H100, and i'm planning on building a new rig giving my old one to my little brother so he can play some of the newer games as well.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 6:26:45 PM

Either a good air cooler or the H100i would be fine but you really aren't going to see a lot of difference between either of them so it's mainly a matter of preference. I'm personally not a fan of closed loop coolers as they really only appeal to a group of people that think they are getting more than they actually are with those coolers. Don't get me wrong- they do have some purpose for people with space constraints or mounting issues, but other than that I really don't understand why people spend the money on them....well, I do know...it's usually to brag to their friends (who don't know any better) that they have watercooling when it's not quite exactly what it qualifies as.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 6:30:18 PM

rubix_1011 said:
They are alright, it's just a price/performance question. It isn't that they are bad, it's just that there are other solutions that perform better for marginally more money. From everything I've read, the H100i is a decent update from the older H100, but it's not a significant performance difference.

Is there a reason you are wanting to use the H100i instead of an air cooler? Why the H100i and not an entry level watercooling kit?

Have you read through the watercooling sticky?

Quote:

So, why would you recommend the most expensive air cooler as an alternative? If he's going to spend that much money you are offering an alternative that is pretty much a 1:1 in performance and price. Why wouldn't you offer a cheaper alternative that performs almost as well? This seems counter intuitive. Just curious as to this recommendation vs. something else.

I also don't see what your basis is for telling someone not to get a closed loop. Aren't you also the one that said watercooling was too difficult?

It's been proven already that that air cooler beats the H100i by quite a bit. Yes, water cooling is a bit tricky but I never said it performed bad.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 9:32:06 PM

Can you link a couple? My understanding that this was pretty much a neck and neck performance race from everything I've read and that was with the older H100.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 5, 2013 2:59:18 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h100i-elc240-seidon...

There was a video on youtube that also tested this and the Noctua NH-D14 still won. I tried to find more links of benchmarks rather then peoples opinions but I could not find any. The H100i is good but still can't compete with the cheaper air cooler. Like the link I posted said the size of it can be another thing to consider.
m
l
January 6, 2013 1:58:14 AM

You guys both have proven good points, but I still didn't get an answer on my original question... :\ could I setup the cooler the way I described or would I need to do something?
m
l
January 8, 2013 9:09:43 AM

Do you mean:
____________________-roof of case
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-200mm fan
00000000000000000000-H100i
XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX120mm fans
That's the best that I could glean from what you saud
m
l
a c 176 K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 10:41:49 AM

Nope, if you want the radiator at the top of the case the 200mm's have to be gone. The dual fans will have to be above the "ceiling" of the case and the radiator below, with the fans holding it up.
m
l
January 9, 2013 2:10:36 AM

PANZER4 said:
Do you mean:
That's the best that I could glean from what you saud

I mean this:
m
l
January 9, 2013 3:17:03 AM

why would you want to do that?
its pointless. you might be able to get the rad under the 200MM fans with some creative use of materials, but it would be completely pointless to put fans on top of eachover
if you want to try to do it, id do it my way. honestly, you should probably just do away with the 200MM fans if you want to put the rad on the roof
m
l
January 9, 2013 3:38:46 AM

PANZER4 said:
why would you want to do that?
its pointless. you might be able to get the rad under the 200MM fans with some creative use of materials, but it would be completely pointless to put fans on top of eachover
if you want to try to do it, id do it my way. honestly, you should probably just do away with the 200MM fans if you want to put the rad on the roof

Would it still provide efficient enough cooling if I were to take out the 200mm fans? Just some questions to strengthen my knowledge on the subject.
m
l

Best solution

January 9, 2013 3:48:25 AM

it should do fine. remember its designed to only run on one set of fans anyway. push pull is icing on the cake, but with 200MM fans that are in no way designed to be efficent with radiators, its kind of pointless. you might lose a degree or two, but IMHO its not worth the trouble.
a c 176 K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 3:52:34 AM

Yep, when you start water-cooling case airflow becomes less of an issue than it is when air-cooling.

The H100i is designed to run with only the stock fans pushing through the rad, so it will be enough. If your really concerned, buy two more 120mm's and run it in push/pull.
m
l
January 9, 2013 7:52:11 PM

Best answer selected by akiro.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 9:03:53 PM

manofchalk said:
Yep, when you start water-cooling case airflow becomes less of an issue than it is when air-cooling.

The H100i is designed to run with only the stock fans pushing through the rad, so it will be enough. If your really concerned, buy two more 120mm's and run it in push/pull.

Iv'e seen 80mm thick radiators, which NEED those fans lol.
m
l
!