Sign in with
Your question

Can I even overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 4, 2013 10:51:07 AM

Okay so I get what overclocking is.. But thats just about it.. I have no idea how to do it, and no idea how far my pc could be overclocked.. I'll look up how to overclock later, but right now I'd just like to know if its worth bothering with my semi-budget pc.. I also don't know which parts would be beneficial to overclock for gaming. Any help?

Specs:

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
500GB Seagate ST500DM002 Barracuda
Xclio Nighthawk Mid Tower Case Full
Samsung SH-S222AB/BEBE 22x DVD±R, 1
Intel Core i5 3470,1155, Ivy Bridge
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V, Intel B75, S
2GB XFX Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition
430W Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-4

More about : overclock

January 4, 2013 6:02:56 PM

You can't overclock, H series chipset do not support tweaking and 3470 does not have unlocked multiplier meaning even if you could tweak it could only be through the bclk strap and you might get an extra 200-300MHz but nothing that would be noticeable.
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 7:26:27 PM

what he said..

CPU-> The one you have is not overclockable

Graphics Card-> Possibly overclockable, although I don't recommend it.

What I've noticed is that many people with GOOD systems like yours (not the best, but GOOD) often wish to get the best experience possible (why not) and so look into overclocking.

My advice is to concentrate on a HIGHER FRAME RATE for smoother game play, rather than the best graphics experience. Almost everybody I talk to turns up the graphics until they're constantly dipping below 30FPS and their games just aren't that fun.

Take that for what it's worth.

RADEONPRO:
This is an awesome tool for AMD cards. Notably:
1) Force VSYNC if not supported in-game:
i.e. drag "witcher.exe" into RadeonPro and enable VSYNC (for Witcher #1), monitor with FRAPS to see if it's properly capped at 60FPS

2) Force HALF VSYNC (i.e. run at 30FPS instead of 60FPS) useful to cap at 30FPS VSYNC'd so no screen tearing in graphically demanding games (not recommended for fast games like shooters). StarCraft 2 is a good example although I have not tested it. C&C3 runs at 30FPS by default and it runs great. BF3 on the other hand would feel very sluggish at only 30FPS.

3) force Anti-Aliasing if not supported in-game
(usually use MSAA, however for Mass Effect #1 I used Super-Sampling. What a HUGE DIFFERENCE in quality!)
January 4, 2013 11:10:58 PM

Very helpful from both of you, exactly what I wanted to know, thanks.
!