Bad company 2 upgrade

Arigo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Okay, so today i pre-ordered Bad company 2, and then played the beta... Lowest everything, resolution all that jazz, and it was very very laggy... this is the first time i have EVER had a problem with FPS, MW2 works great.. but bad company 2, is way more demaning in graphics... So i realize i need to upgrade my graphics card....

MOBO - (not to sure. "P5PE VM" or something)
Graphics card - Ati radeon x1600 pro
processor - dual core 2.66 gh intel

anyhow, ive done a bit of research and figured for MW2 the minimum requirement for ATI, is X1600 (which is pretty much what i have) I found that MW2 ran great, with medium settings. Bad company 2 needs a minimum of x1900.. so i figured if i upgraded to that i would be set...

Here is pretty much the only thing i have found that looks decent.... my mother board is AGP, and im not buyin a new MOBO ,or anything else.. so i need an AGP card..

Visiontek 900111 Radeon X1950 Pro / 256MB GDDR3 / AGP 8x / DL Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2918625&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=10&body=REVIEWS#tabs

What do you guys think? Will that meet my needs? Or can you find something better?

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
anything AGP won't be good. I'm sure if you just installed the best AGP card it'd get you by on low settings but I don't recommend it because that's pretty far behind on it's own. I'd say you should save up for a new system all together.

Arigo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Im getting a whole new system, after school is over.. Its going to be high end, thats why i dont want to spend a lot right now... Do you think it would get me by? What kind of FPS would you estimate on low?

fang273

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
Can't much tell since the beta is so badly optimized, going to have to wait till retail comes out. Currently even people with decent enough systems are having issues.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
remember that what you played is a beta. even my friend with a quad core and a 4890 has to lower the settings right down (though i don't, and my rig isn't THAT much better).

the final version will be way more optimized, and run WAY better. it may be worth waiting till you've tried it. since a superfluous upgrade is a waste of cash if you aren't that into upgrading.

roush2fast

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007

yeah that was me bro. I have since dropped in an I5-750 / EVGA P55 and my lag went away. In fact my game is now running at 90fps on high. This game from what I can tell is really CPU dependant. Even running on my 8400 clocked at 4.0 with a GTX285 I had lag.

To op : I would definitely wait until the game goes live in a few days before dropping any cash on your current system. The optimization will be greatly improved. Only reason I did is because I had finally found a reason to justify the expense to my wife lol

Arigo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Sorry to bump a bit of an old thread, but id like to say i ordered the 4670 and drivers got installed EASY (reviews said it was a pain) my 3dmark06 score went from 1300 (fail) to about 5307.. which is a pretty good difference i would say... 85% done BC2 ... ill edit this in about an hour.. wish me luck >.<

arcticking

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

Cool, im just about to go get BC2 from steam right now. Please tell me how it is.

Arigo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009

Single player runs smooth on like high everything, but MP is laggy... its definetaly my CPU though. Its playable. So far the game is good.. but the only thing i can do is sit and snipe because i cant process big firefights >.<

arcticking

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

roush2fast has a good suggestion, but for a balance between price & performance I suggest an AMD processor.
Perhaps an AMD Phenom II X4 9XX Series, or an AMD Phenom II X2 5XX Series.

Here is a really good performing and cheap one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103680&cm_re=amd_phenom_ii_x2_550-_-19-103-680-_-Product

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471&cm_re=amd_phenom_ii_x4_940-_-19-103-471-_-Product

A lot of the times AMD processors get biased reviews and are perceived as "not as good as intel" when infact there is only a small difference in performance but a gigantic difference in price. It's like asking "Do you want the AMD that performs just as fast for a cheaper price, just as good quality and performs how its supposed to (or) do you want the Intel that cost a fortune and is pretty much not going to make a difference in comparison to AMDs in gameplay. I hope you save your money ;) Ive got one myself, its an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (Quad-Core) overclocked to 3.8Ghz and on multiplayer performs insanely well.. only thing i've got to work on now is my internet networking.. I need better internet connection and access speed to my router.. planning on getting a matching PCI Network Adapter. You see.. sometimes the reason why you lag in multiplayer could be because the server is hosted in a foreign region (perhaps Europe or Asia) and can slow your connection down and bring your ping up. Happy Gaming! :)

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009

he recommended that processor not because of any preference, it's because the OP has a Socket775 mobo already..

roush2fast

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Dude , read the whole thread. I was running an E8400 @4.00 with a GTX285 2GB on low no AA 1900x1200 and was still experiencing lag. If he wants to truly enjoy the game without lag he needs to go quad. A nice Q6600 off EBAY would be just fine.

The E8400 was epic for it's time but the need for quads is now showing it's ugly face.

arcticking

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Are you sure it wasn't your internet connection? Foreign servers give massive lag, and with all the different names that the servers are named (without the inform of being European or American Server) there is bound to be lag. ;) We can't just say for sure that its the processor because you say you've had bad experience with your system. He might as well be better off upgrading his WHOLE system, (yes including your motherboard). Its better to upgrade all at once than just one at a time, it'll save you alot in long-terms.

AMW1011

Distinguished

If you are still getting a whole new system despite this upgrade then get the Q6600 for the cheapest you can. If not then a Q9550 will do just fine for years to come.