Switching out LCD Screen for ThinkPad A21m

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 7:03:49 PM

Hi,
I have a ThinkPad A21m that has a "faulty" screen. A friend of mine
has a spare A21m that he is willing to let me exchange the screen on.
Does anyone have any experience with this ? Would it be too risky to
attempt ?
Kind regards
Rich
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 2:00:53 AM

IF they are the same size screen, it is simple
"Richard Wilson" <richnwilson@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a ThinkPad A21m that has a "faulty" screen. A friend of mine
> has a spare A21m that he is willing to let me exchange the screen on.
> Does anyone have any experience with this ? Would it be too risky to
> attempt ?
> Kind regards
> Rich
August 27, 2004 10:21:33 AM

Richard Wilson wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a ThinkPad A21m that has a "faulty" screen. A friend of mine
> has a spare A21m that he is willing to let me exchange the screen on.
> Does anyone have any experience with this ? Would it be too risky to
> attempt ?
> Kind regards
> Rich

I did it on a Sony laptop. The "tricky" part is the connectors to the
board inside the case and to the LCD panel assembly. The ribbon cable
and the connectors are a little delicate. Otherwise it is an easy job.
If you can replace the entire assembly, you would only have the
connector to the board to worry about, which is a fairly simple plug
and socket on the Sony.

jimbo
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 1:39:52 PM

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the quick response. They are identical models, so yes the
screen size is identical. Are you able to provide any instructions on
how to do this? Any help would be appreciated.
Kind regards

Rich

"Bruce Markowitz" <scosgt@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<2p7iumFhq5unU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> IF they are the same size screen, it is simple
> "Richard Wilson" <richnwilson@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have a ThinkPad A21m that has a "faulty" screen. A friend of mine
> > has a spare A21m that he is willing to let me exchange the screen on.
> > Does anyone have any experience with this ? Would it be too risky to
> > attempt ?
> > Kind regards
> > Rich
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2004 1:22:31 AM

Richard Wilson <richnwilson@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
> Thanks for the quick response. They are identical models, so yes the
> screen size is identical. Are you able to provide any instructions on
> how to do this? Any help would be appreciated.

A21m Hardware Maintenance Manual:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=203&uid=psg...

Read and follow the instructions.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
August 28, 2004 1:22:32 AM

Hi James,
Exactly what I was after. Appreciate the link to this file. Thanks for
all your help and all the advice people have given .. fingers crossed
it should all work out okay.
Kind regards
Rich

!