Computer won't boot successfully!

Hi all,

I have a new Gateway that has XP Home on it.
When I try to start it, I get the menu that has
"safe" as one of the choices. No matter which
one I choose the computer starts the boot process
and lists all the drivers it is loading in character
mode. It goes until the file

.....\agp440.sys is listed where it hangs.

how do I fix it?

thanks,
charles.....
2 answers Last reply
More about computer boot successfully

    ***** charles wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a new Gateway that has XP Home on it.
    > When I try to start it, I get the menu that has
    > "safe" as one of the choices. No matter which
    > one I choose the computer starts the boot process
    > and lists all the drivers it is loading in character
    > mode. It goes until the file
    >
    > ....\agp440.sys is listed where it hangs.
    >
    > how do I fix it?
    >
    > thanks,
    > charles.....

    Hey charles, go here ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324764

    I have followed the instructions of booting from an XP CDROM. I type "r" for
    repair and it does some work (ID's the HDD and then looks at the start up
    environment) and then takes me directly to a command prompt. The MS support
    page says "Select the installation number for the problem installation." I
    never see anything to select - it goes straight to a command prompt.

    Could this be because it's an SP1 boot CD but I have SP2 on my computer?

    "rotric" wrote:

    > ***** charles wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I have a new Gateway that has XP Home on it.
    > > When I try to start it, I get the menu that has
    > > "safe" as one of the choices. No matter which
    > > one I choose the computer starts the boot process
    > > and lists all the drivers it is loading in character
    > > mode. It goes until the file
    > >
    > > ....\agp440.sys is listed where it hangs.
    > >
    > > how do I fix it?
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > > charles.....
    > >

    > Hey charles, go here ...