Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel Heat Sinc Fan/CPU Compatibility

Last response: in CPUs
a c 362 à CPUs
a b å Intel
May 15, 2010 3:38:20 PM

I am going to put together an inexpensive computer with some of the "spare" parts I have accumulated over the years. Not ever having rolled my own before, I was wondering about Intel CPU/HSF compatibility. I have a slightly-used C2D E6700 processor and a new Intel HSF from a Q9550 Quad Core processor. Is there any reason I can't use the HSF from the quad on the C2D processor?
May 15, 2010 6:59:42 PM

clutchc said:
I am going to put together an inexpensive computer with some of the "spare" parts I have accumulated over the years. Not ever having rolled my own before, I was wondering about Intel CPU/HSF compatibility. I have a slightly-used C2D E6700 processor and a new Intel HSF from a Q9550 Quad Core processor. Is there any reason I can't use the HSF from the quad on the C2D processor?

I had to do a few searches to find the 2 processors, the sites i read, it says both are socket 775, so the HSF should fit both without any problem.

Check for youself;

http://reviews.cnet.com/processors/intel-core-2-duo/450...

http://reviews.cnet.com/processors/intel-core-2-quad/45...
m
l
a c 362 à CPUs
a b å Intel
May 15, 2010 7:03:44 PM

thor04e said:
I had to do a few searches to find the 2 processors, the sites i read, it says both are socket 775, so the HSF should fit both without any problem.

Check for youself;

http://reviews.cnet.com/processors/intel-core-2-duo/450...

http://reviews.cnet.com/processors/intel-core-2-quad/45...

Thanks. I'm sorry, I should have specified that they both were, indeed, 775 socket processors. My concern was if there was any difference in physical dimemsions, fan speed/size, surface contact area, etc. Anything different between Intel HSFs that come with C2Ds and C2Q's?
m
l
Related resources
May 16, 2010 6:10:18 AM

clutchc said:
Thanks. I'm sorry, I should have specified that they both were, indeed, 775 socket processors. My concern was if there was any difference in physical dimemsions, fan speed/size, surface contact area, etc. Anything different between Intel HSFs that come with C2Ds and C2Q's?

Sorry but i dont know too much about Intel processors, im using AMD myself, but i recently changed my HSF to a Zalman 9900NT, the dimensions are completely different from the stock one i had for my Athlon, since its a quad core its more likely to heat up faster so if you're really that worried your going to melt the cores just spend a few dollars and get a new HSF, you can get decent ones for very cheap these days, and some of the better ones can fit several sockets (like mine)

What i would have done in your position is get a program that can tell you your core temps and just try it out, as long as it stays at a reasonable temperature i would keep it, or just get a better fan for your HSF, again easy to find and cheap.

Good luck.
m
l

Best solution

May 16, 2010 6:55:32 AM

If my memory serves me, the Quad core heat sink and fan will work fine.Same size width wise but perhaps a bit taller to help cool the extra cores.So in other words it will work great for a Dual core, probably cooler then the original sink.Intel uses a cookie cutter type of cooler....essentially same width and fan , jus adjusted the heigth to add more or less mass based on the TDP of the cpu.
May 16, 2010 4:35:21 PM

you shouldnt have a prob at all untill my new cooler turns up (was out of stock) im running my QX9650 with a stock cooler from a Pentium D925. i just tested it with prime 95 and didnt get over 73 degrees. Just as the other guy suggests and ive done test it with prime95 or other program.
m
l
a c 362 à CPUs
a b å Intel
May 16, 2010 5:28:29 PM

Thanks to all. That's the info I was after. Until I decide on an inexpensive board, I didn't really have a way of testing out the fit. I realize an after-market cooler like the Arctic 7 I have on my gaming machine isn't all that expensive, but I'm trying to use as many existing parts and components as I can. It's sort of a "see how cheap inexpensive I can build it" project.
m
l
a c 362 à CPUs
a b å Intel
May 26, 2010 12:02:42 AM

Best answer selected by clutchc.
m
l
!