May be noobish question

cheapshots

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
hey guys,

about a month ago i got an ssd to chuck into my existing computer, installed everything etc.

i was reading a bit and that i shouldve changed from ide to ahci mode or something. i didnt do this (unless it did it automatically) and wondering if it matter too much or should i change it.

so i changed the reg, restarted into bios and changed from ide to ahci. upon restart it installs the marvell 91xx sta 6g controller but the ata channel 1 and 0 fail and says device unplugged.

my drive seems to be a lot slower than normall (this started happening maybe a day or 2 ago?)

is the cord plugged into the wrong spot or?

Solution
In most cases you can change the controller mode without reinstallation by tweaking the Registry as follows:

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
6) Shut down
7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers...
In most cases you can change the controller mode without reinstallation by tweaking the Registry as follows:

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
6) Shut down
7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them.

Solution