Sign in with
Your question

Good water cooling kit for extreme rig.

Last response: in Overclocking
January 4, 2013 3:41:46 PM

Hello guys,

Im looking for an good water cooling kit. Price doesnt matter onyl performance matters. Im looking to water cool whole the thing, not only the CPU. Im selecting parts right know, so i dont have the parts ordered yet, but this is what im planning to get : i7 3970x Extreme, Nvidia 690 GTX, Corsair Vengeance 2100 mhz 4x8gb, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD on an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme. I havent selected an case and PSU yet, so feel free to suggest me an good and reliable PSU. Nice cases are also welcome. Price doesnt matter, as long as it isnt anything crazy like 1000 bucks for an case.

Im new to the forum btw.
Related resources
January 5, 2013 1:34:31 AM

GhostGamer said:
Hello guys,

Im looking for an good water cooling kit. Price doesnt matter onyl performance matters. Im looking to water cool whole the thing, not only the CPU. Im selecting parts right know, so i dont have the parts ordered yet, but this is what im planning to get : i7 3970x Extreme, Nvidia 690 GTX, Corsair Vengeance 2100 mhz 4x8gb, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD on an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme. I havent selected an case and PSU yet, so feel free to suggest me an good and reliable PSU. Nice cases are also welcome. Price doesnt matter, as long as it isnt anything crazy like 1000 bucks for an case.

Im new to the forum btw.

I'm assuming you want to build something really good and not just use a sealed liquid cooler like Corsair H100 etc. . . . which do actually work reasonably well for the price and are relatively hassel free to install.

To make something good

Radiators - go with at least a triple fan rad preferably an 'extreme' type. I run a Feser TFX triple rad which keeps my CPU and 2 x 460GTX graphics cards very cool.

Pump - use a Laing D5 - this pump is also sold by Swiftec and a few others under their own part numbers but its basically a Laing pump - get the variable speed version - these are very solid and reliable.

CPU coolers. I've used Alphacool and Danger Den both with good results - go to www.frozencpu.com they have a good selection and you can read review of different models.

GPU coolers - I've always used EK full cover water blocks and they work very well - again frozencpu sell all types. Use Arctic Silver Ceramique thermal interface paste and if you order from Frozen CPU do yourself a favour an buy some additional thermal pad interface material (about half a sheet) at the same time - always useful if you need to re-seat anything.

Reservoir - pick whatever you want and like the look of - I've used Swiftec Micres which is small and works fine.

Fittings and tubing - make sure you pick something good quality - again Frozen CPU sell a lot of good brands - also make sure you use good hose clips at the joints.

Cooling Fluid - I use Feser as it is non conductive - the main issue here is you don;t want to short circuit your expensive electronic equipment if you have a leak so fill the system with the cooling fluid and run the pump to check for leaks before you start the rest of the system.

Do everything correctly and you will have a system that delivered great OC and runs fairly quiet which was my reason for going with a w/c system

p.s you will need a big case to house everything esp a triple rad - a Lian Li designed for water cooling or a Silverstone case - I have a Silverstone TJ07 and I built some brackets (with aluminum strip metal from Home Depot to mount the rad in the bottom of the case. Ideally the best place to mount the rad is in the top of the case with fans blowing air out of the top but the issue with this type of arrangement is it is harder to bleed the air from the liquid cooling loop.

p.s. Power Supplies - I have PC Power & Cooling Silencer which I have had for several years but if I were building to day I would likely go with Seasonic or Corsair HX series. I think Seasonic are the best - they make PSU's that are re-badged by many other "brand name manufacturer's". They are not cheap but the quality is excellent . . . again you get what you pay for.

p.p.s - I agree with the suggestion above on Noctua Fans - I have several NFP12's in my rig - they are great and quiet, although the color leaves a bit to be desired

Good luck
January 5, 2013 10:37:54 AM

Thank you all for your reply's.
!