Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Mongoloid comparo - Core I7 860 vs Phenom x2 555 BW

Last response: in CPUs
May 15, 2010 5:19:21 PM

I don't expect this to be an apples to apples comparison. The core i7 is the faster processor. However, it's more of a value judgement. Wrapped in a system with an SSD boot drive, the same amount of memory, and roughly equivalent motherboards, and the same peripherals, the AMD based system would likely be $150 less. Also, likely as not, I could unlock the two shutdown cores on the 555 essentially turning it into a 965. The price difference would likely be about 10% (given the lower street prices of the AMD cpu and motherboard).

I can't say I think that anything I'm running now would use the extra horsepower of the intel chip. I also think the AMD architecture is a bit more flexible/expandable.

I had always been leaning in the Intel direction, but am now leaning toward the AMD. What does everyone think

More about : mongoloid comparo core 860 phenom 555

May 15, 2010 6:09:39 PM

The phenom could be very good value, potentially. But if it's unlucky and you get 2 cores incapable of being unlocked then you're stuck with a dual when you could have had the safe and fast option of the i7.

What do you want to use it for?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 15, 2010 6:36:11 PM

flaminggerbil said:
The phenom could be very good value, potentially. But if it's unlucky and you get 2 cores incapable of being unlocked then you're stuck with a dual when you could have had the safe and fast option of the i7.

What do you want to use it for?

+1 for flaminggerbil

What will you be the primary (or most demanding) use for it? Gaming, rendering, web surfing, cad, word docs, ect.

Depending on what you say, that will be the deciding factor.

For web surfing, word doc, music, I would recommend a moderate speed dual core. athlon ii x2's and pentium dual cores.

unless your a really good multi tasker, the tri/quad core athlon ii x3/4

Gaming, i would say a fast dual core to moderately fast quad core. phenom II x2/3/4, core i3/7 (core i5 i can really only mention core i5 750 for it's a quad core at a good price compared to it dual core counter parts.)

For cad, rendering, video editing, ect, I would get the a fast cpu with highest amount of cores under 1 cpu that your program can use and that you can afford. are examples Core i7 980x (not really recommended unless you want to pay $1k), Phenom II x6's ($210-$310 or roughly that price range)
Related resources
May 16, 2010 2:45:19 AM

What will it be used for? No video encoding, maybe some light to medium gaming if I find anything I want to play. It will be my main home PC, so really anything that comes up. I may get a separate nettop to attach to my HT plasma panel.

I work with computers for a living, so I tend to like bigger hardware, but I don't really need it. Then again, I don't feel the need to go below $99 for the CPU. Even the i7 860 is only $199. But if I don't need to spend the money, why?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2010 10:22:20 AM

BigStack said:
What will it be used for? No video encoding, maybe some light to medium gaming if I find anything I want to play. It will be my main home PC, so really anything that comes up. I may get a separate nettop to attach to my HT plasma panel.

I work with computers for a living, so I tend to like bigger hardware, but I don't really need it. Then again, I don't feel the need to go below $99 for the CPU. Even the i7 860 is only $199. But if I don't need to spend the money, why?

Hmmm..... From what you said, it sounds like you want a cpu that can handle almost anything you want to throw at it and can handle it decently.

I say an athlon II x4 635 or the Phenom II x2 555 (and have the possibility of unlocking) with that SSD will do you nicely.

m
l
May 16, 2010 2:43:51 PM

^+1

If you're not going into any heavy gaming then you might as well go for a cheaper AMD, great bargains if you manage to unlock some extra cores.
You'll not notice any performance decrease when compared with the more expensive processors for that purpose.
m
l
May 26, 2010 2:18:26 AM

Best answer selected by BigStack.
m
l
!