Sign in with
Your question

430w PSU and 5870

Last response: in Components
May 15, 2010 5:36:14 PM

I saw a recent announcement from Dell regarding one of the new systems (The 7100 XPS) and its options. One of them being allowing the user to select an ATI 5870 as the GPU but the 7100 XPS only ships with a 460 watt power supply.

I'm not an expert but it doesn't seem like that would be enough juice to a 5870 safely. How the heck do they get away with running that card on that PSU or am I just flat wrong on how much juice would be required to use it to begin with?

More about : 430w psu 5870

May 15, 2010 7:13:31 PM

Indecisive_man said:
I saw a recent announcement from Dell regarding one of the new systems (The 7100 XPS) and its options. One of them being allowing the user to select an ATI 5870 as the GPU but the 7100 XPS only ships with a 460 watt power supply.

I'm not an expert but it doesn't seem like that would be enough juice to a 5870 safely. How the heck do they get away with running that card on that PSU or am I just flat wrong on how much juice would be required to use it to begin with?

hi
in this ati radeon 5970's case, you wont get a 460w psu because the company knows that the card needs more power. i think things will go out fine. also you will have a warranty as well, so if things go bad then you wont have troubles. but im sure that they will give u a better psu for ati radeon 5870 hope i helped
m
l
!