That Magic Cooler

the1corrupted

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Alright, so here's my situation and I could use just a little advice and direction to go from where I am.

I have an Asus P8Z77-V and G. Skill Ripjaws X (1600 Mhz) ready for my next build (I work for Asus tech support :p), but now I just need a cpu and heatsink to boot. I have a Cooler Master HAF 912 so I can fit just about any size air cooler comfortably. Planning on picking up the i5 3570K, but I'm not sure how hard I want to overclock if at all (4.2 GHz anyone?). Major upgrade from a Phenom 2 965 BE that can't round a number to save its life over 3.8 GHz.

I was reading about the Cooler Master Hyper 212 series and my past experience with the skyscraper style coolers is that they do NOT like the heat spreaders on the top of the G Skill ram sticks (I purchased an Elite V6 that ended up being sold to a friend), so I'm looking for that magic cooler that doesn't have a wide horizontal profile, or at the very least doesn't interfere with my ram slots.

My price is under $50, because anything higher, and I'm getting an Antec Kuhler 620 that comes with a strong reccomendation for a closed loop liquid cool solution. I had seen the Cooler Master V8 Elite laying around for $48, but it has a back bracket that I have no idea what to do with (I can't easily reach behind my tower). And as I mentioned before, the V6 didn't agree with my RAM sticks, plus it didn't come with a second fan bracket.

So I'm looking for that magic CPU cooler where I don't have to sacrifice anything to keep my system cool and quiet.

EDIT: Also, if I can get my hands on a 120mm cooler... This: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-233-101

darksparten

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012

Thermaltake Frio

darksparten

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012

Doubtful, if you really want you can use the fan quiet adapters or remove a fan and run with 1, low end air is almost never better than mid air and you run all the risks associated with water.

Also with rebate the Frio is 49.99, how does that not fit your requirement.

That cooler seems fine except for the fact it uses reference push pin installation design, push pins never last long and by the 2nd or even 1st year they will begin to loosen, meaing higher temps, and eventually break.

the1corrupted

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

The only other thing is (again) clearance. I've also read that some of the twin-tower CPU coolers (with the fan in the middle) outperform the one-piece coolers

For example, how would the Frio with one fan operating compare to this Zalman ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118133 ) ?

I like apples to apples comparisons, but I can't find a lot (unlike benchmarks of cpus and gpus)