Catalyst 4.7 is out. Anyone know if it fixes Thief3 textur..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=11&submit.y=10

Anyone know if this fixes Thief3 ?

rms
16 answers Last reply
More about catalyst fixes thief3 textur
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in message

    > The drivers bugger the game on all R3xx cards. I have a 9800 Pro.

    Ouch, not nice.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Release notes doesn't mention a fix for this game.

    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_47_Release_Notes.html

    "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message

    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=11&submit.y=10

    > Anyone know if this fixes Thief3 ?
    >
    > rms

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Doh ... it does mention this

    a.. Inconsistent lighting and shadow flicker is noticed when playing the
    game Thief 3 under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition or
    the RADEON X800 PRO. Further information on this issue can be found at:
    www.ati.com/support/infobase/4557.html

    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_47_Release_Notes.html

    "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message

    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=11&submit.y=10

    > Anyone know if this fixes Thief3 ?
    >
    > rms

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Wookie wrote:

    > Doh ... it does mention this
    >
    > a.. Inconsistent lighting and shadow flicker is noticed when playing the
    > game Thief 3 under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition or
    > the RADEON X800 PRO. Further information on this issue can be found at:
    > www.ati.com/support/infobase/4557.html

    X800?

    Surely no one is trying this game with a Radeon 8800 or 7800? Unless
    they enjoy slideshows.

    Objekt
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 02:44:16 GMT, Objekt <deadletters@nospamplease.net>
    wrote:

    >Wookie wrote:
    >
    >> Doh ... it does mention this
    >>
    >> a.. Inconsistent lighting and shadow flicker is noticed when playing the
    >> game Thief 3 under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition or
    >> the RADEON X800 PRO. Further information on this issue can be found at:
    >> www.ati.com/support/infobase/4557.html
    >
    >X800?
    >
    >Surely no one is trying this game with a Radeon 8800 or 7800? Unless
    >they enjoy slideshows.

    The X800s are the models that supercedes the lowly 9800 models.

    I'm waiting for the super-dooper XX00 model though!

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 03:32:53 GMT, Inglo
    <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote:

    >The drivers bugger the game on all R3xx cards. I have a 9800 Pro.

    Can't you use the 4.4's?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On 7/7/2004 10:24 PM Andrew brightened our day with:

    >On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 03:32:53 GMT, Inglo
    ><ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote:
    >

    >>The drivers bugger the game on all R3xx cards. I have a 9800 Pro.
    >>

    >Can't you use the 4.4's?

    The more recent catalysts provide improved performance and features
    over-all, I'm forced to continue to use an older driver version in order
    to play just one of the many games I have.
    That pisses me off.

    --

    Steve [Inglo]
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Inglo <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote:

    >The more recent catalysts provide improved performance and features
    >over-all, I'm forced to continue to use an older driver version in order
    >to play just one of the many games I have.
    >That pisses me off.

    If the game works with an older driver maybe the manufacturer of the
    game took progamming shortcuts or used undocumented features which
    will not work newer drivers. Ask the game manufacturer for a patch or
    update.

    Ak
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On 7/8/2004 7:21 AM Al Kaufmann brightened our day with:

    >Inglo <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote:
    >

    >>The more recent catalysts provide improved performance and features
    >>over-all, I'm forced to continue to use an older driver version in order
    >>to play just one of the many games I have.
    >>That pisses me off.
    >>

    >If the game works with an older driver maybe the manufacturer of the
    >game took progamming shortcuts or used undocumented features which
    >will not work newer drivers. Ask the game manufacturer for a patch or
    >update.
    >
    >Ak

    This is an issue that is officially documented in the ATI release notes
    as being a problem with the drivers.

    Come on, someone else give me another moronic response.

    --
    Steve [Inglo]
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 14:21:47 GMT, Al Kaufmann
    <Al_Kaufmann@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Inglo <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote:
    >
    >>The more recent catalysts provide improved performance and features
    >>over-all, I'm forced to continue to use an older driver version in order
    >>to play just one of the many games I have.
    >>That pisses me off.
    >
    >If the game works with an older driver maybe the manufacturer of the
    >game took progamming shortcuts or used undocumented features which
    >will not work newer drivers. Ask the game manufacturer for a patch or
    >update.

    Maybe you should ask Ati's driver QC department instead.
    There is a little deja vu here. Not the first time later drivers
    have barfed on titles previously working fine.

    The game works fine with Cat 4.4, which was the latest driver
    available to the Thief3 QC team. They didn't have a crystal ball.
    See the Thief3 readme. Drivers previous to Cat 4.4 did not
    work properly either.

    And AFAIK, the game work fine with 56.72 nVidia ( latest official )
    and several subsequent beta releases.

    Maybe it was coded specially for nVidia ? Now, where did
    I see a nice shiny bridge for sale ?

    John Lewis

    >Ak

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 02:44:16 GMT, Objekt
    <deadletters@nospamplease.net> wrote:

    >Wookie wrote:
    >
    >> Doh ... it does mention this
    >>
    >> a.. Inconsistent lighting and shadow flicker is noticed when playing the
    >> game Thief 3 under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition or
    >> the RADEON X800 PRO. Further information on this issue can be found at:
    >> www.ati.com/support/infobase/4557.html
    >
    >X800?
    >
    >Surely no one is trying this game with a Radeon 8800 or 7800? Unless
    >they enjoy slideshows.
    >
    >Objekt

    Umm.. where have you been............ ?

    X800 is not x800 !

    Ati X800 is the brand new R400 series card-family.

    Anyway, the flickering is not confined to the X800 family, but
    seems to be endemic, at least with drivers higher or lower than
    Cat 4.4.

    John Lewis
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote
    > The game works fine with Cat 4.4, which was the latest driver
    > available to the Thief3 QC team. They didn't have a crystal ball.
    > See the Thief3 readme. Drivers previous to Cat 4.4 did not
    > work properly either.

    Hmmm, Cat 3.6's seemed to work okay (R9600pro)
    with Thief3...
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 23:51:19 +0300, "Aki Peltola"
    <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote:

    >"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote
    >> The game works fine with Cat 4.4, which was the latest driver
    >> available to the Thief3 QC team. They didn't have a crystal ball.
    >> See the Thief3 readme. Drivers previous to Cat 4.4 did not
    >> work properly either.
    >
    >Hmmm, Cat 3.6's seemed to work okay (R9600pro)
    >with Thief3...

    Heh !!! LOL !!

    If I recall the Thief3 readme, their QC team may not have
    gone back quite that far...............

    However, if what you say is really true, it does confirm the
    complete lack of systematic QC in the driver group at Ati.

    Cat3.6 OK
    Cat 3.7 ---> 4.3 Barf on Thief3 !
    Cat 4.4 OK
    Cat 4.5 --> 4.7 Barf on Thief3 !

    With public releases every 3 weeks or so, how could
    there possibly be systematic driver QC ? There are not
    enough monkeys on the planet, let alone experts in
    regression testing.

    John Lewis

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote
    > >Hmmm, Cat 3.6's seemed to work okay (R9600pro)
    > >with Thief3...
    > However, if what you say is really true, it does confirm the
    > complete lack of systematic QC in the driver group at Ati.

    I installed those drivers first from the CD that came with
    Radeon, as I thought the drivers weren't near latest and
    Control Panel identified them as Catalysts version 3.6!

    And Thief3 really ran completely fine without graphical
    glitches with those drivers installed, perhaps someone else
    could confirm this too? If you don't believe me, try
    Cat3.6's yourself :-)

    Now I'm using Cat4.4 because CoD had some strange
    crashing disease with Cat3.6 and Thief3 prevents me from
    updating straight to the latest 4.7... geez I am going nuts
    because of these ATI drivers, NVidia's drivers at least
    WORKED goddamnit!
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote in message
    > "John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote
    > > >Hmmm, Cat 3.6's seemed to work okay (R9600pro)
    > > >with Thief3...
    > > However, if what you say is really true, it does confirm the
    > > complete lack of systematic QC in the driver group at Ati.
    >
    > I installed those drivers first from the CD that came with
    > Radeon, as I thought the drivers weren't near latest and
    > Control Panel identified them as Catalysts version 3.6!
    >
    > And Thief3 really ran completely fine without graphical
    > glitches with those drivers installed, perhaps someone else
    > could confirm this too? If you don't believe me, try
    > Cat3.6's yourself :-)
    >
    > Now I'm using Cat4.4 because CoD had some strange
    > crashing disease with Cat3.6 and Thief3 prevents me from
    > updating straight to the latest 4.7... geez I am going nuts
    > because of these ATI drivers, NVidia's drivers at least
    > WORKED goddamnit!

    ATI does seem to have a problem with drivers that work on a game, then get
    broken in the next release. I encountered this with both NOLF2 and KOTOR.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 02:37:44 +0300, "Aki Peltola"
    <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote:

    >"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote
    >> >Hmmm, Cat 3.6's seemed to work okay (R9600pro)
    >> >with Thief3...
    >> However, if what you say is really true, it does confirm the
    >> complete lack of systematic QC in the driver group at Ati.
    >
    >I installed those drivers first from the CD that came with
    >Radeon, as I thought the drivers weren't near latest and
    >Control Panel identified them as Catalysts version 3.6!
    >
    >And Thief3 really ran completely fine without graphical
    >glitches with those drivers installed, perhaps someone else
    >could confirm this too? If you don't believe me, try
    >Cat3.6's yourself :-)
    >
    >Now I'm using Cat4.4 because CoD had some strange
    >crashing disease with Cat3.6 and Thief3 prevents me from
    >updating straight to the latest 4.7... geez I am going nuts
    >because of these ATI drivers, NVidia's drivers at least
    >WORKED goddamnit!

    Still do............after the driver hiatus between
    53.03 ( 9 Dec 2003) and 56.72 ( latest official, 1 April 2004)
    The ones between are best forgotten. nVidia did a run-time
    compiler update after 53.03 that broke a lot of stuff, but
    seem to have got it all back together again with 56.72.
    Very stable indeed. Unlikely to be OFFICIALLY updated
    until some of the new 6800 stuff is properly integrated.
    The 6800 is surviving on beta Detonator drivers at the
    moment, which nVidia has seen prudent not to officially
    foist on the rest of their graphics-card families. Of course,
    the beta 6800 drivers have been leaked and tried out
    on non-6800 cards.

    John Lewis

Games Catalyst ATI Video Games