Could someone tell how I can get USB2.0 work in my notebook?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 27, 2004 3:03:28 AM

I'm running Win ME and I heard some people say USB2.0 won't work while some
tell me they would. Could someone clear that up for me? Thanks in advance.

More about : usb2 work notebook

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 4:18:26 AM

In article <4%tXc.46321$jZ5.14593@clgrps13>,
Dan <REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote:
>I'm running Win ME and I heard some people say USB2.0 won't work while some
>tell me they would. Could someone clear that up for me? Thanks in advance.

Win ME does not have native support for USB 2.0, but most add-on USB 2.0
ports have driver disks for it that work just fine.
August 27, 2004 4:38:39 AM

"Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message

> In article <4%tXc.46321$jZ5.14593@clgrps13>,
> Dan <REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote:
> >I'm running Win ME and I heard some people say USB2.0 won't work while
some
> >tell me they would. Could someone clear that up for me? Thanks in
advance.

> Win ME does not have native support for USB 2.0, but most add-on USB 2.0
> ports have driver disks for it that work just fine.

I see.........so that means no in my case? My notebook has USB2.0 ports(no
firewire....doh) but I'm running ME. Any way to get it working? I don't
really want to waste money to get PCMCIA card to get USB2.0/firewire. Thanks
again.
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 11:41:23 AM

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:38:39 GMT, "Dan"
<REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote:

>"Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message
>>
>> In article <4%tXc.46321$jZ5.14593@clgrps13>,
>> Dan <REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote:
>> >I'm running Win ME and I heard some people say USB2.0 won't work while
>some
>> >tell me they would. Could someone clear that up for me? Thanks in
>advance.
>>
>> Win ME does not have native support for USB 2.0, but most add-on USB 2.0
>> ports have driver disks for it that work just fine.
>
>I see.........so that means no in my case?

That means yes in your case; you need add-on drivers, but
otherwise should be fine.
Emanuel
August 27, 2004 12:59:40 PM

"E Brown" <epbrown01@att.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:38:39 GMT, "Dan"
> <REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote:
>

> >"Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message

> >some
> >advance.
> >>
> >> Win ME does not have native support for USB 2.0, but most add-on USB
2.0
> >> ports have driver disks for it that work just fine.
> >
> >I see.........so that means no in my case?
>
> That means yes in your case; you need add-on drivers, but
> otherwise should be fine.

Could you point out where I can find those drivers? Thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 5:40:20 PM

Dan <REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote:

> Could you point out where I can find those drivers? Thanks.

The only source would be your laptop manufacturer.

One is forced to ask how you wound up with such an _old_ OS (ME) on what has
to be a relatively new laptop, given the fact that it has USB2.0 ports?

You should seriously consider upgrading to either W2K or XP, both of which
provide native support for USB2.0.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 6:02:08 PM

JHEM wrote:
> Dan <REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote:
>
>>Could you point out where I can find those drivers? Thanks.
>

> The only source would be your laptop manufacturer.
>
> One is forced to ask how you wound up with such an _old_ OS (ME) on what has
> to be a relatively new laptop, given the fact that it has USB2.0 ports?
>
> You should seriously consider upgrading to either W2K or XP, both of which
> provide native support for USB2.0.

This fair question being asked, the obvious suggestion would be the
laptop manufacturer, although I suspect a manufacturer of a laptop
equipped with USB2 ports will not support ME.

Take a look at http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=298 and see if this helps.

Regards

--
John Doue
Anonymous

You need add-on PORTS (hardware, most likely a USB 2.0 PC-Card) AND USB
2.0 Windows ME drivers for that card. Normally the drivers would come
with the card, on a CD or floppy. Any notebook that shipped with
Windows ME won't have built-in USB 2.0 ports.

E Brown wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:38:39 GMT, "Dan"
> <REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote:
>

>>"Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message

>>some

>>advance.
>>
>>>Win ME does not have native support for USB 2.0, but most add-on USB 2.0
>>>ports have driver disks for it that work just fine.
>>
>>I see.........so that means no in my case?
>

> That means yes in your case; you need add-on drivers, but
> otherwise should be fine.
> Emanuel

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 6:22:28 PM

That's not true. He needs USB 2.0 PORTS, which would normally come in
the form of a USB 2.0 PC-Card, and that card will usually come with 98
and ME drivers (also, XP drivers if needed).

JHEM wrote:

> Dan <REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote:
>
>>Could you point out where I can find those drivers? Thanks.
>

> The only source would be your laptop manufacturer.
>
> One is forced to ask how you wound up with such an _old_ OS (ME) on what has
> to be a relatively new laptop, given the fact that it has USB2.0 ports?
>
> You should seriously consider upgrading to either W2K or XP, both of which
> provide native support for USB2.0.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 6:53:48 PM

In article <jovXc.56504$X12.42594@edtnps84>,
Dan <REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote:

>"Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message
>>
>> In article <4%tXc.46321$jZ5.14593@clgrps13>,
>> Dan <REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote:
>> >I'm running Win ME and I heard some people say USB2.0 won't work while
>some
>> >tell me they would. Could someone clear that up for me? Thanks in
>advance.
>>
>> Win ME does not have native support for USB 2.0, but most add-on USB 2.0
>> ports have driver disks for it that work just fine.
>
>I see.........so that means no in my case? My notebook has USB2.0 ports(no
>firewire....doh) but I'm running ME. Any way to get it working? I don't
>really want to waste money to get PCMCIA card to get USB2.0/firewire. Thanks
>again.

check your laptop manufacturer's website for drivers, and see if USB 2.0
is supposed under Windows ME.

If not, you _might_ be able to use generic drivers if you can ascertain
what chipset your laptop uses for the enhanced USB controller (NEC, Intel,
etc). Lots of add-on cards use those chipsets, are furnished with
relatively generic drivers, and might be installable on your laptop if the
chipsets match.
August 27, 2004 7:46:35 PM

> In article <jovXc.56504$X12.42594@edtnps84>,
> Dan <REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote:
> >
> >"Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message

> >some
> >advance.
> >>
> >> Win ME does not have native support for USB 2.0, but most add-on USB
2.0
> >> ports have driver disks for it that work just fine.
> >
> >I see.........so that means no in my case? My notebook has USB2.0
ports(no
> >firewire....doh) but I'm running ME. Any way to get it working? I don't
> >really want to waste money to get PCMCIA card to get USB2.0/firewire.
Thanks
> >again.
>
> check your laptop manufacturer's website for drivers, and see if USB 2.0
> is supposed under Windows ME.

Unforturnately nothing is there other then intel chipset drivers and
stuff..........

> If not, you _might_ be able to use generic drivers if you can ascertain
> what chipset your laptop uses for the enhanced USB controller (NEC, Intel,
> etc). Lots of add-on cards use those chipsets, are furnished with
> relatively generic drivers, and might be installable on your laptop if the
> chipsets match.

I think they're NEC chipset......not sure though. Do you know where I can
download them to try all out? Thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 7:46:36 PM

"Dan" <REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote in

> I think they're NEC chipset......not sure though. Do you know where I
> can download them to try all out? Thanks.

trying out a bunch of drivers = bad news.

you DO know that no driver is capable of changing your USB 1 port to a USB
2 port, correct? If your laptop has regular USB ports, you will need to
buy a card that will give your laptop USB 2.0 ports.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2004 12:56:48 AM

In article <vHIXc.19671$A8.18205@edtnps89>,
Dan <REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote:

>"Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message
>>
>> In article <jovXc.56504$X12.42594@edtnps84>,
>> Dan <REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote:
>> >
>> >"Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message

>> >some
>> >advance.

>2.0
>> >
>> >I see.........so that means no in my case? My notebook has USB2.0
>ports(no
>> >firewire....doh) but I'm running ME. Any way to get it working? I don't
>> >really want to waste money to get PCMCIA card to get USB2.0/firewire.
>Thanks
>> >again.
>>
>> check your laptop manufacturer's website for drivers, and see if USB 2.0
>> is supposed under Windows ME.
>
>Unforturnately nothing is there other then intel chipset drivers and
>stuff..........
>
>> If not, you _might_ be able to use generic drivers if you can ascertain
>> what chipset your laptop uses for the enhanced USB controller (NEC, Intel,
>> etc). Lots of add-on cards use those chipsets, are furnished with
>> relatively generic drivers, and might be installable on your laptop if the
>> chipsets match.
>
>I think they're NEC chipset......not sure though. Do you know where I can
>download them to try all out? Thanks.

Among (probably) numerous others, Belkin, SIIG, and Adaptec use the NEC
chipset in their USB 2.0 add-in cards. They seem to use the same
(or similar) driver sets written by Orange Micro.

I'm pretty sure Intel's drivers cna be downloaded from their motherboard
support web site, but I have no direct knowledge of that to share.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2004 1:02:52 AM

Hi Barry,

Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
> That's not true. He needs USB 2.0 PORTS, which would normally come in
> the form of a USB 2.0 PC-Card, and that card will usually come with 98
> and ME drivers (also, XP drivers if needed).

The OP's original post stated that he his laptop already _HAS_ USB2.0 ports,
but he can't get them to work under ME.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
August 28, 2004 1:22:12 AM

JHEM wrote:

> Hi Barry,
>
> Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
> > That's not true. He needs USB 2.0 PORTS, which would normally come in
> > the form of a USB 2.0 PC-Card, and that card will usually come with 98
> > and ME drivers (also, XP drivers if needed).
>
> The OP's original post stated that he his laptop already _HAS_ USB2.0 ports,
> but he can't get them to work under ME.

Maybe if the OP stated the brand/model of his system, there'd be a better
idea on where to direct him.

Dan?

Notan
August 28, 2004 4:11:27 AM

> JHEM wrote:
> >
> > Hi Barry,
> >
> > Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
> > > That's not true. He needs USB 2.0 PORTS, which would normally come in
> > > the form of a USB 2.0 PC-Card, and that card will usually come with 98
> > > and ME drivers (also, XP drivers if needed).
> >
> > The OP's original post stated that he his laptop already _HAS_ USB2.0
ports,
> > but he can't get them to work under ME.
>
> Maybe if the OP stated the brand/model of his system, there'd be a better
> idea on where to direct him.

Sorry. It's an Compaq EVO N610C.
August 28, 2004 4:12:46 AM

"Good Man" <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in message
> "Dan" <REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote in
>

> > I think they're NEC chipset......not sure though. Do you know where I
> > can download them to try all out? Thanks.
>

> trying out a bunch of drivers = bad news.
>
> you DO know that no driver is capable of changing your USB 1 port to a USB
> 2 port, correct? If your laptop has regular USB ports, you will need to
> buy a card that will give your laptop USB 2.0 ports.

My notebook do came with USB2.0 ports. Of course I know you can't change 1.1
to 2.0 with just driver, duh!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2004 4:40:02 AM

I don't believe that any laptop that came with Windows ME had USB 2.0 ports.

JHEM wrote:

> Hi Barry,
>
> Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>That's not true. He needs USB 2.0 PORTS, which would normally come in
>>the form of a USB 2.0 PC-Card, and that card will usually come with 98
>>and ME drivers (also, XP drivers if needed).
>

> The OP's original post stated that he his laptop already _HAS_ USB2.0 ports,
> but he can't get them to work under ME.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2004 8:04:43 AM

Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
> I don't believe that any laptop that came with Windows ME had USB 2.0
> ports.

I couldn't agree with you more Barry, but I'm taking the OP at his word that
the unit has USB2.0 ports.

Obviously, for whatever reason, he's rolled the OS back to Win ME.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
August 28, 2004 8:13:55 AM

Dan <REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote:

> Sorry. It's an Compaq EVO N610C.

According to the Compaq support site for your system, it uses the NEC USB
chipset. And yes, the ports are USB2.0

But I believe the more important question is, did Win ME _ever_ support
USB2.0?

I feel the need to ask again, why do you insist on ME for this system?
Installing W2k or XP (Pro or Home) would immediately clear this problem up
for you.

--
Regards,

James

August 28, 2004 9:00:17 AM

"JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message
> Dan <REMOVECAPLETTERSxdualx@telus.net> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry. It's an Compaq EVO N610C.
>
> According to the Compaq support site for your system, it uses the NEC USB
> chipset. And yes, the ports are USB2.0
>
> But I believe the more important question is, did Win ME _ever_ support
> USB2.0?
>
> I feel the need to ask again, why do you insist on ME for this system?
> Installing W2k or XP (Pro or Home) would immediately clear this problem up
> for you.

Well I use it to run some older games so I installed the ME after I got it.
So I've been use that os since then. It's working fine and I find it too
much hassle to upgrade os with the backup and stuff. So I would like to
stick with it. The only downside I'm having is transfer files. Via network
is a bit faster but still alot hassle if moving big chunk. Using 1.1 speed
is even worse. The notebook doesn't have firewire port so I can't use that
either.

Just wondering if it's possible I can get usb2.0 without installing newer os
or buying a pc card to get usb2.0 working/adding firewire port to transfer
stuff faster.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2004 3:56:54 PM

Dan wrote:

> Well I use it to run some older games so I installed the ME after I
> got it.

What games? Even DOS games can be made run in Windowsxp, so there is really
no need to use an old OS which doesn't support Your hardware and even won't
get the latest security holes fixed on a modern notebook.

Go with XP. It supports USB2.0, and is the much better OS overall,
especially for notebooks which incorporate technologies like ACPI and
Speedstep that ME doesn't really know...

Benjamin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 29, 2004 8:41:27 AM

And my 2ยข worth is: Buy a dang 2.0 PCMIA card. It's way cheaper than WIN2K
or XP. In fact, it's so cheap that if you'd spent an hour mowing your
neighbor's lawn for money instead of rechecking the board for messages....you'd
have it already. :)
!