Frequent Disconnects

G

Hi all

I keep losing my wireless internet connection.
Intermittently, my connection is lost and I get
the message that the page cannot be found. I
need to repair my wireless connection in
order to surf the net after that. Its quite
grinding. Here are the details of my PC and
my internet connection;
Motherboard GF8100VM-M5
Motherboard Manufacturer Elite group
Motherboard Serial Number 15-K67-011003
Processor AMD TRIPLE CORE PHENOM™
X3 8450
Processor Socket AM2 Plus
Memory 3GB DDR2 800MHz
Power Supply CiT Pentium P4 500 Watt
Operating System XP Professional Service
Pack 3
CD ROM Device XAFIFA Z0XUJ0D SCSI
CdRom Device
Audio chipset VIA High Definition onboard
audio VT1708AB
Operating System XP Professional Service
Pack 3
Internet Connection
Connection type Wireless
Wireless Adapter Buffalo Nfinity
Network provider BT Broadband
Router BT Home Hub 2
Encryption type WPA2
Internet browsers in use Chrome and Firefox,
same problem with both
Firewall used Zonealarm - It is not the
firewall; I have turned it off and still had the
problem
The router is in another room but is not too
far away.
ACTIONS I HAVE TAKEN SO FAR
Changed the router channel
Uninstalled my firewall
Uninstalled the wireless utility of the
adapter's manufacturer and gone back to the
Window's utilltiy
Re-installed the drivers for the manufacturer’s utility
Nothing has worked
Thanks in advance for any help.

This is InSSIDer’s view of my network.

Hi all

I keep losing my wireless internet connection.
Intermittently, my connection is lost and I get
the message that the page cannot be found. I
need to repair my wireless connection in
order to surf the net after that.

The router is in another room but is not too
far away.
ACTIONS I HAVE TAKEN SO FAR
Changed the router channel
Uninstalled my firewall
Uninstalled the wireless utility of the
adapter's manufacturer and gone back to the
Window's utilltiy
Re-installed the drivers for the manufacturer’s utility
Nothing has worked
Thanks in advance for any help.

This is InSSIDer’s view of my network.

Can you experiment for an hour or so with a wired connection to the router to eliminate the possibility of the BT telephone line falling over? Just fire up IE or Firefox and connect to a radio station and listen for breaks in the transmission. If there are no breaks, it's definitely a wireless problem.

G

I think it is a wireless problem because I'm on a network with 2 other people and they don't have any internet problems.

Any further advice?

Thanks in advance.

I think it is a wireless problem because I'm on a network with 2 other people and they don't have any internet problems.

Any further advice?

Thanks in advance.

If this adapter is a USB dongle, it could be a power saving thing? Check in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>USB Devices, look under the Power tab of each one and when you find the one with the dongle, click up Power Management and take the tick out of "Allow the computer to turn this off".

G

Are you thinking of Windows XP or Windows 7 (I'm using XP sp3). I can find the USB adapter in Device Manager but it doesn't have a Power Management section that I can see.

There is a section called universal serial bus controllers, but I don't know how to relate the controllers (whatever they are) to any particular device.

Any further help?

Thanks in advance.

Are you thinking of Windows XP or Windows 7 (I'm using XP sp3). I can find the USB adapter in Device Manager but it doesn't have a Power Management section that I can see.

There is a section called universal serial bus controllers, but I don't know how to relate the controllers (whatever they are) to any particular device.

Any further help?

Thanks in advance.

Expand the Controllers entry by clicking on the Plus sign then you'll see the root hubs and that's where you need to look under the Power tab to see which one is funding the dongle with power. You won't actually wreck the planet if you untick power saving on all of them.
[/#000ff]

niord

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Hi

This is pauloftarsus but due to registration difficulties I've had to create a new account.

I've unchecked all of those boxes in the USB hubs but the problem is still there.

Does the computer have to be restarted for those changes to take effect?

Thanks.

No - the change should have prevented the switching off with immediate effect so that obviously wasn't the problem. Which wireless adapter are you using - make, model, etc.? Have you set the channel for the adapter to receive as the same one the router is transmitting in?

niord

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
The wireless adapter is a Buffalo Ntfiniti. The router is set to channel 6, but I don't know how to set the wireless adapter to any particular channel, rather I just connect to the network I have set up through the Windows wireless networking utility.

How do set the channel of a USB network adapter?

niord

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
I cannot find what you describe. Through the configure button I can find, in the advanced tab, a list of very technical sounding options but I cannot relate any of them to changing the channel of the wireless adapter itself.

Can anybody help me with my wireless disconnect problem?

One last try before I'm out of ideas :D In the Config of my Belkin stick, under the Advanced tab, there's an option for IBSS Channel and I have it set to 11 because the router broadcasts on that channel. If you don't see that setting, it's probably because you have automatic roaming continuously searching through all the channels for your network's signal. If that's the case, my original suggestion was not suitable in your case.

niord

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Hi

I appear to have solved my problem, though the solution is very strange. I plugged an Ethernet cable into the BT home hub router in order see if a wired connection experience the same drop-outs and it did not.

After I removed the wired connection and re-connected wirelessly, my wireless connection was fine.

Like so many things about wireless networking, to me at least, this is very strange.

Thanks for your help and if anybody know why this has worked I would be interested.