Right-click Drag and Drop problems

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Selecting a file/folder with the right mouse button, for dragging no longer
works (in my XP-SP2) Rather than selecting the file or folder to be dragged,
the right mouse button now always immediately opens the right-click menu,
whereafter dragging the file or folder becomes impossible. Are there some XP
tweakings I can do to restore the standard right-click "select and drag"
function, (without turning off the right click menu feature, that's very
handy
too, and I'd hate to lose it)?
Trond Ruud
5 answers Last reply
More about right click drag drop problems
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Use left click to Select.

    select
    [[To specify a block of data or text on screen by highlighting it or
    otherwise marking it, with the intent of performing some operation on it.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:u7SOv7xzEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Trond Ruud <truud2@netscape.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Selecting a file/folder with the right mouse button, for dragging no
    > longer works (in my XP-SP2) Rather than selecting the file or folder
    > to be dragged, the right mouse button now always immediately opens
    > the right-click menu, whereafter dragging the file or folder becomes
    > impossible. Are there some XP tweakings I can do to restore the
    > standard right-click "select and drag" function, (without turning off
    > the right click menu feature, that's very handy
    > too, and I'd hate to lose it)?
    > Trond Ruud
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Sorry, I should have been more specific. The left-click 'select and drag'
    works fine.
    My problem is with zip files. I've usually right-click selected the .zip
    file and dragged it to the folder that I want to unzip it to. Previously,
    when I right-click selected and dragged a zip file over the target folder I
    got a Winzip menu prompting to unzip to that folder. If I drag the zip file
    to the folder with a left click select, the Winzip menu doesn't display and
    the zip file is moved into the folder instead, which is rarely what I intend
    to do, and the right-click select and drag doesn't work as before, like I
    described originally.
    Trond Ruud

    In news message:O0yYepzzEHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote this:
    > Use left click to Select.
    >
    > select
    > [[To specify a block of data or text on screen by highlighting it or
    > otherwise marking it, with the intent of performing some operation on
    > it.]]
    >

    > In news:u7SOv7xzEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > Trond Ruud <truud2@netscape.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> Selecting a file/folder with the right mouse button, for dragging no
    >> longer works (in my XP-SP2) Rather than selecting the file or folder
    >> to be dragged, the right mouse button now always immediately opens
    >> the right-click menu, whereafter dragging the file or folder becomes
    >> impossible. Are there some XP tweakings I can do to restore the
    >> standard right-click "select and drag" function, (without turning off
    >> the right click menu feature, that's very handy
    >> too, and I'd hate to lose it)?
    >> Trond Ruud
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Trond,

    I did misunderstand your original post.

    Could WinZip be corrupt?

    Could be something be funky in the registry because of that?

    WinZip ClassID = {E0D79305-84BE-11CE-9641-444553540000}

    There are a slew of registry entries for ...DragDropHandlers\WinZip

    Have you unregistered zipfldr.dll & cabview.dll ?

    Start | Run | Type: regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll | OK

    Start | Run | Type: regsvr32 /u cabview.dll | OK
    Reboot.

    Instead of wasting time checking registry entries, maybe uninstall and
    reinstall WinZip?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:O6HdrrA0EHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Trond Ruud <truud2@netscape.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Sorry, I should have been more specific. The left-click 'select and
    > drag' works fine.
    > My problem is with zip files. I've usually right-click selected the
    > .zip file and dragged it to the folder that I want to unzip it to.
    > Previously, when I right-click selected and dragged a zip file over
    > the target folder I got a Winzip menu prompting to unzip to that
    > folder. If I drag the zip file to the folder with a left click
    > select, the Winzip menu doesn't display and the zip file is moved
    > into the folder instead, which is rarely what I intend to do, and the
    > right-click select and drag doesn't work as before, like I described
    > originally.
    > Trond Ruud
    >
    > In news message:O0yYepzzEHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote this:
    >> Use left click to Select.
    >>
    >> select
    >> [[To specify a block of data or text on screen by highlighting it or
    >> otherwise marking it, with the intent of performing some operation on
    >> it.]]
    >>

    >> In news:u7SOv7xzEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >> Trond Ruud <truud2@netscape.net> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Selecting a file/folder with the right mouse button, for dragging no
    >>> longer works (in my XP-SP2) Rather than selecting the file or folder
    >>> to be dragged, the right mouse button now always immediately opens
    >>> the right-click menu, whereafter dragging the file or folder becomes
    >>> impossible. Are there some XP tweakings I can do to restore the
    >>> standard right-click "select and drag" function, (without turning
    >>> off the right click menu feature, that's very handy
    >>> too, and I'd hate to lose it)?
    >>> Trond Ruud
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Wes,
    You seem to be on to something, since after uninstalling an re-installing
    winzip I succeeded in doing a right-click select of zip files and drag them
    to a target folder (with the winzip menu displayed over the target), in 2
    out of 3 attempts, and if I can keep up that rate of success, I'll consider
    the problem solved.
    Thanks!
    Trond

    In news message:%23FfHRpC0EHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote this:
    > Trond,
    >
    > I did misunderstand your original post.
    >
    > Could WinZip be corrupt?
    >
    > Could be something be funky in the registry because of that?
    >
    > WinZip ClassID = {E0D79305-84BE-11CE-9641-444553540000}
    >
    > There are a slew of registry entries for ...DragDropHandlers\WinZip
    >
    > Have you unregistered zipfldr.dll & cabview.dll ?
    >
    > Start | Run | Type: regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll | OK
    >
    > Start | Run | Type: regsvr32 /u cabview.dll | OK
    > Reboot.
    >
    > Instead of wasting time checking registry entries, maybe uninstall and
    > reinstall WinZip?
    >

    > In news:O6HdrrA0EHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > Trond Ruud <truud2@netscape.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> Sorry, I should have been more specific. The left-click 'select and
    >> drag' works fine.
    >> My problem is with zip files. I've usually right-click selected the
    >> .zip file and dragged it to the folder that I want to unzip it to.
    >> Previously, when I right-click selected and dragged a zip file over
    >> the target folder I got a Winzip menu prompting to unzip to that
    >> folder. If I drag the zip file to the folder with a left click
    >> select, the Winzip menu doesn't display and the zip file is moved
    >> into the folder instead, which is rarely what I intend to do, and the
    >> right-click select and drag doesn't work as before, like I described
    >> originally.
    >> Trond Ruud
    >>
    >> In news message:O0yYepzzEHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >> Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote this:
    >>> Use left click to Select.
    >>>
    >>> select
    >>> [[To specify a block of data or text on screen by highlighting it or
    >>> otherwise marking it, with the intent of performing some operation
    >>> on it.]]
    >>>

    >>> In news:u7SOv7xzEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >>> Trond Ruud <truud2@netscape.net> hunted and pecked:
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Howdy Trond,

    You betcha! Keep having fun! :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.