Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New CPU/Mobo question

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 15, 2010 8:00:08 PM

Hi everyone

My question is regarding a system upgrade I plan to do within the next month; I'm figuring birthday money will give me somewhere around the amount of $250. My question is should I pick up a new CPU and mobo or should I buy a terabyte external. I am in dire need of space but I'm also running a very old CPU/Mobo combo (about 5 years). Currently I have an AMD 64 x2 4000+ overclocked to 2.4 ghz running on a nforce4 motherboard :kaola:  This system has been so solid for me and I have no problem running my games except for a few (GTA4 , Bad Company 2, Crysis, NFS Shift). So I'm wondering do I wait till the fall to build a new system or do I go out and grab a cheap @250 cpu/mobo upgrade or do I get more storage and get a Tera External??

BTW if I update the CPU/Mobo I want to be able to run Bad Company 2 and GTA4 on highs so I'd be looking into a AMD 940BE or 955BE along with a Gigabyte or Asus motherboard

PLEASE SUGGESTIONS WILL HELP A TON

THANKS EVERYONE!!

More about : cpu mobo question

a c 159 à CPUs
a c 435 V Motherboard
May 15, 2010 8:06:57 PM

Depends on your vender. Frys has the amd 1090t 6 core with 890gx board for only $209.99 after $15 rebate this weekend. Or a 930 i7 with board for around $309 after rebate. Since ram is $100 or more, you need to continue saving. I would skip the tera external unless your drive has failed.
m
0
l
May 15, 2010 8:34:30 PM

I'm looking more into using newegg to get my components
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 81 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2010 8:49:13 PM

Any decent board and CPU upgrade to last another 3 years atleast will require you to get DDR3 RAM also.. So it'd be better if you could wait and build up on the cash..
m
0
l
May 15, 2010 9:13:41 PM

im only thinking about using this new combo to tie me over for maybe another year or 2 nothing long term because it's about time for a new system mines getting pretty old bout 5 years now

current specs:

x2 4000+ 2.4ghz
4 gigs corsair ddr2 800mhz
640GB western digital internal drive
evga 9800GTX+
gigabyte nforce4 (doesnt support pci-e 2.0)
corsair 750watt PSU
antec p180 case
win7 ult. 64 bit
m
0
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 435 V Motherboard
May 15, 2010 11:32:35 PM

Are you on newegg's mailing list? They sent me 9 killer specials this morning. It only takes a few minutes to sign up.
m
0
l
May 16, 2010 12:21:14 AM

yea of course I love being part of their newsletter, I just posted because I wanted people opinions on what I should do or what AMD cpu/mobo I should get, I'm not a big fan of the newegg or tiger or fry combo deals they don't always choose the best components especially for my price range
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2010 1:26:35 AM

footblfrk97 said:
yea of course I love being part of their newsletter, I just posted because I wanted people opinions on what I should do or what AMD cpu/mobo I should get, I'm not a big fan of the newegg or tiger or fry combo deals they don't always choose the best components especially for my price range

You could get an AM2+/AM3 ready motherboard so you can re-use your 4GB DDR2 RAM.

X4 955BE - $160.00 ( free shipping )
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=n82e168...
Gigabyte AM2+/AM3 Ready Mobo = $60.00 + $3.00 shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I choose this mobo because it has outstanding customer reviews compared to others and at a good price.
The remaining $27 is not enough for anything else but consider it a saving for your external drive.
m
0
l
May 16, 2010 6:30:36 PM

any more suggestions???????
m
0
l
!