New CPU/Mobo question

Hi everyone

My question is regarding a system upgrade I plan to do within the next month; I'm figuring birthday money will give me somewhere around the amount of $250. My question is should I pick up a new CPU and mobo or should I buy a terabyte external. I am in dire need of space but I'm also running a very old CPU/Mobo combo (about 5 years). Currently I have an AMD 64 x2 4000+ overclocked to 2.4 ghz running on a nforce4 motherboard :kaola: This system has been so solid for me and I have no problem running my games except for a few (GTA4 , Bad Company 2, Crysis, NFS Shift). So I'm wondering do I wait till the fall to build a new system or do I go out and grab a cheap @250 cpu/mobo upgrade or do I get more storage and get a Tera External??

BTW if I update the CPU/Mobo I want to be able to run Bad Company 2 and GTA4 on highs so I'd be looking into a AMD 940BE or 955BE along with a Gigabyte or Asus motherboard

PLEASE SUGGESTIONS WILL HELP A TON

THANKS EVERYONE!!
8 answers Last reply
More about mobo question
  1. Depends on your vender. Frys has the amd 1090t 6 core with 890gx board for only $209.99 after $15 rebate this weekend. Or a 930 i7 with board for around $309 after rebate. Since ram is $100 or more, you need to continue saving. I would skip the tera external unless your drive has failed.
  2. I'm looking more into using newegg to get my components
  3. Any decent board and CPU upgrade to last another 3 years atleast will require you to get DDR3 RAM also.. So it'd be better if you could wait and build up on the cash..
  4. im only thinking about using this new combo to tie me over for maybe another year or 2 nothing long term because it's about time for a new system mines getting pretty old bout 5 years now

current specs:

x2 4000+ 2.4ghz
    4 gigs corsair ddr2 800mhz
    640GB western digital internal drive
    evga 9800GTX+
    gigabyte nforce4 (doesnt support pci-e 2.0)
    corsair 750watt PSU
    antec p180 case
    win7 ult. 64 bit
  5. Are you on newegg's mailing list? They sent me 9 killer specials this morning. It only takes a few minutes to sign up.
  6. yea of course I love being part of their newsletter, I just posted because I wanted people opinions on what I should do or what AMD cpu/mobo I should get, I'm not a big fan of the newegg or tiger or fry combo deals they don't always choose the best components especially for my price range
  7. footblfrk97 said:
    yea of course I love being part of their newsletter, I just posted because I wanted people opinions on what I should do or what AMD cpu/mobo I should get, I'm not a big fan of the newegg or tiger or fry combo deals they don't always choose the best components especially for my price range

You could get an AM2+/AM3 ready motherboard so you can re-use your 4GB DDR2 RAM.

X4 955BE - $160.00 ( free shipping )
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=n82e16819103674
    Gigabyte AM2+/AM3 Ready Mobo = $60.00 + $3.00 shipping.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128408&cm_re=am2%2b_motherboard-_-13-128-408-_-Product
    I choose this mobo because it has outstanding customer reviews compared to others and at a good price.
    The remaining $27 is not enough for anything else but consider it a saving for your external drive.
  8. any more suggestions???????
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards Product